School Uniforms

niketha

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 12:33 pm
Do you think everybody in the United States should wear school uniforms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,573 • Replies: 23

Woiyo9

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 12:48 pm
@niketha,
No. Only students in school.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:57 pm
I think all girls should wear them. They are sexy as hell.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:13 pm
@NickFun,
I prefer nurses uniforms.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:30 pm
One of my kids had to do this for middle school GRade 7-8. I think that it is a great idea for two grade middle schools. Not so great for older and younger.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't much care except for one point - they shouldn't be ugly like my high school uniforms, which were brown and yellow plaid wool skirts with garish yellow blouses. It got worse, because the next year the skirts were changed to polyester.. and were even uglier. Girls used to wash the blouses over and over so they'd fade.

I admit to wishing I'd kept my grammar school beanie.
aidan

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 12:39 am
@ossobuco,
I think it's a great idea for two reasons:
1) does away with the daily fashion show and is an equalizing agent for the students. This is especially helpful for those students whose parents don't make enough money to dress them to the standard and variation of current trends.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard students insulted about their clothes - 'Did you get that outfit at WALMART/K-MART?' said with a superior sneer seems to be one of the unimaginative and lame favorites of nasty emotionally and verbally abusive bullies everywhere.

It also saves the teachers (females at least- maybe the males like it) from being embarrassed at having to look at cleavage all day. And by cleavage, I mean the girls' boobs that they push up and out of their embarrassingly lowcut blouses so that when you go to look at their paper on their desk, you're actually looking down their shirt- as well as the cracks of the boys asses that you can see through their underwear around which there is no outer covering because they've bought their pants three sizes too large and are wearing them down around their knees - belts and everything - it's ludicrous.

Again, I can't tell you how many times I've had to say to students either 'Put on a frigging sweater' or 'Pull up your pants!' asking them at the same time, 'Why do you think we all want to look at your bodies - we're trying to do math in here, you know?!!"
and:
2)Much less laundry for the mother to do. My daughter has three pairs of black trousers, five white blouses and black socks to go with her little tie and blazer.
That's it. Imagine if all the moms of school age children in America only had to wash a couple pairs of pants and a blouse three times a week instead of all those t-shirts and jeans, etc.
Imagine the water and electricity that'd be conserved.
fresco

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 05:38 am
@niketha,
This is a homework assignment I presume.

You need to list the pros and cons under a number of headings:
Cost...Comfort...Practicality...Bullying...Freedom...Identity...etc.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 11:48 am
@aidan,
I agree - although I can understand not having it.

My kids have a dress code instead of a uniform. So it is tan, navy or black bottoms (pants, skirts, jumpers - with a limit to how short skirts/dresses are); and solid polo shirts.

This makes it easy for the parents in that the kids can't fight over what they want to wear and having a dress code over a uniform -you can buy these on the cheap.

And the obvious - no one kid is better than another because they can afford certain "in" outfits.
NickFun

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:07 pm
@Linkat,
Nonetheless, some kids are naturally going to look better in those outfits than others. Some kids should dress differently to flatter whatever particular body type they have. Uniforms are out in my book.
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:35 am
@NickFun,
It still makes my life easier.

And some kids no matter what they wear they will look like crap.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:40 am
@NickFun,
The uniforms at my daughter's school are really very flattering for any body type. They consist of black slacks or skirts, white shirts or blouses and a black blazer with a green tie. For the heavier kids, it's a very tailored and slimming look- no unsightly bulges visible anywhere- no butt cracks showing.
In terms of fitting difficult or different or particular body types, you couldn't really ask for anything more flattering.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:47 pm
@aidan,
Nick is a perv...he meant SEXUALLY flattering...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 07:00 pm
@aidan,
Sure, but you don't think we were insulted with our brown and yellow plaid polyester skirts?

Insults work their ways, and can be based on obvious stuff or small choices.
Back in my time, socks were serious.
I was on the low end of that. Luckily, I was busy.
aidan

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 11:48 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Sure, but you don't think we were insulted with our brown and yellow plaid polyester skirts

I dont know - I wasn't there. Who would insult you? Kids from other schools who wore their own clothes or other kids in your school who had to wear the same skirt?

I just think that when choice is taken out of the picture, that's one less difference that can found to be a negative. If you're all wearing the same thing - who's gonna comment? They have to wear it too.

I didn't grow up wearing a uniform in school. We only had to wear a gym uniform and those WERE ugly- our school colors were green and white so it was this one-piece thing with green shorts, and a green and white striped sleeveless top that zipped separated by this elasticized waist. We had to wear it with white socks. I remember hating that thing- you had to step into it to put it on and then zip it up. I actually liked the actual physical activity in gym, but hated wearing the gym uniform so much that I cut gym over and over - like 22 times so that the last month of school I had to take gym TWICE a day every day so that I could pass it and graduate.

But it's funny you mentioned socks. I was just talking with my friend who went to school with me, about how we all wore knee socks and you could kind of separate out even from the socks whose family had money - because those girls socks always pulled up - the poor girls had to wear hand me down socks with the elastic all stretched out so their socks were always down around their ankles (unless you were like me and wore rubber bands up under the top folded over so you couldn't see it. We weren't poor , but my parents are both frugal, so I did wear a lot of my big sister's hand me downs - even socks.
But the richest girl lived right behind the school and I remember she'd run home and lunch and change her socks if they got even one speck on them. And her socks were always the brightest white. I remember noticing that and thinking, 'wow, some people live really differently...' now I wonder if she had a touch of OCD or something.
Quite a change from the other noticable sock girl in our class whom we both remember as not giving a **** and she wore her socks slid down all the way into her shoes. And it didn't seem to bother her a bit.
I just used to think to myself, 'Isn't that uncomfortable?' She's walking around on a big wad of sock all crumpled up in her shoe.'
But she never gave any indication that it was uncomfortable or anything. She never stopped to pull them up.
I can see how kids may not like it - but it definitely takes a lot of pressure off the parents, and as a teacher, I can attest to the fact that it pretty much shuts down one opportunity for competion, snobbery and bullying.

0 Replies

sassy34

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:26 am
@ebrown p,
i agree with you because there are so many different kinds of desgins
0 Replies

sassy34

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:28 am
@Linkat,
i agree, plus its easy for parents
0 Replies

sassy34

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:28 am
@NickFun,
why are they out in your book?
0 Replies

sassy34

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:30 am
Guys i think uniforms are my type of style. i mean there not all that bad.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
I don't believe in school uniforms......................or anything else taught at school that would produce cookie cutter people. Saying that, I think that a dress code is perfectly appropriate. I think that there needs to be some sort of guidelines, but allowing for individuality within those guidelines.