School Uniforms

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 10:18 am
@Phoenix32890,
Cookie cutter, exactly.

And I know I've said this many times -- probably why I didn't respond to this the first time around -- but kids are always going to find "otherness" to make fun of, and uniforms don't solve this problem and in some ways can make it worse. For example, overweight kids will look much different in the same uniform than a thin kid, while the overweight kid (especially if just a little overweight) could find clothes that are more flattering than the standard uniform if they were allowed to wear anything. Hair, shoes, socks, jewelry, hygiene -- there will always be differences and uniforms just shift the emphasis.

I was a sprinter in high school and had major butt and thigh muscles that just did not cooperate with pants. I wore a lot of skirts and leggings. (And one notable pair of harem pants! Ah, the 80's.) I had a friend who was terribly self-conscious about her knees and wore jeans all the time. Etc.

What's nice about clothes today is that it allows for so much range of expression, including lack thereof -- that is, kids who don't want to think about it can wear a "uniform" of jeans, converse sneakers, and a variety of t-shirts and hoodies every day while those who do want to think about it can really express themselves. My daughter adores fashion and clothes (not trendy brandy stuff but putting colors and prints and styles together in creative ways) and would be incredibly bummed if she had to wear a uniform.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 10:52 am

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 12:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Back in my time, socks were serious.

oh yeah, in my school uniform days, the type of pullover vest you chose to wear could make or break you.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2009 06:50 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
At least they can THINK outside the box!
0 Replies