What are your views on " nanny's"?

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:07 pm
I am not going to post my opinion on the subject yet but what are some of your opinions of having a nanny for your children? Whether you work or are at home with the nanny, i'd like to hear some opinions because i have pretty much talked this subject to death with all of my friends, and want to hear some fresh views!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,213 • Replies: 11
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:31 pm
I was completely unaware that nannies were controversial so I'm just hanging out to hear what might be debatable on the topic of nannies.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:47 pm
there's been a lot of talk in canada lately about nannies being treated like slaves, many come from the philippines, they have set standards regarding time off and hours of work, but many employers over look these and the nannies not wanting to cause problems or worried that they will be let go and sent home if they complain say little about the hours or lack of time off
roger

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 04:28 pm
@djjd62,
Damn! I've heard of Phillippino nurses having their passports pulled in Saudi Arabia, and treated the same, but Canada?
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 04:35 pm
@roger,
i worked in an agricultural industry that relied heavily on, let's say less than legal workers, but occasionally we'd get contractors bring in folks that had papers, and were in the country legally, but they still get screwed over, i've seen guys take 15% of weekly pay, after deductions, threaten them with being sent home if they don't work the hours requested, usually well over 8 hours a day, 7 days a week with no overtime
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 04:38 pm
the other problem has to do with peoples view of authority, we may bitch about the government or the police, but we still feel for the most part we can turn to them if there's a problem, this is not the case or mind set of many people around the world, they are more likely to take it and shut up if there's a problem
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 04:38 pm
@djjd62,
Seriously, I'm shocked to hear that. It makes all of us sound kind of 'third world'.
djjd62

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 04:48 pm
@roger,
it is pretty sad, we got raided by immigration once, but it was in the down season, a few folks got taken in, we got warned, but other farms got busted big time, the greenhouse industry is a tough business, the legal offshore workers can only work a total of 8 months, and no offshore workers can work between mid december and mid january, most farms get the first guys around mid feb and and then another bunch around april, this takes them through to november, they fill in the time with "other workers", welfare folks who work for cash through local contractors or legal or illegal immigrants working through contractors
0 Replies

carriegirl1

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 06:20 pm
hahaa im enjoying this conversation, and i just learned a TON but i was reffering more to the controversy of having someone else raise your child, and parents who have children but spend an hour a day with their child, or parents who don't work at all yet still have nannies. Or if you want to come from the other side you have worked so hard on your career why should you give it up just for children? That IS what i had intended when i started the discussion, but feel free to continue this one because it is really interesting!
littlek

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 07:55 pm
Having been a nanny for different families I can say it's complicated.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 08:35 pm
@carriegirl1,
My mom ran an in home daycare for years and my wife and I hired a nanny at one time (both work). My experience, both with the children Mom kept and my own is that there is no question in the child's mind who Mom and Dad are. In the past, the father would be absent all day, and still he could have a significant relationship his children. The same is true with the mother.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 02:32 am
@carriegirl1,
In some ways I think a nanny can be something good.
Children will always know who is Mother and who is Father.
Reasons to take a nanny even if the mother is not working can be many, but what I have seen have been very positive. That has alwas been a person from your own country who has been treated well and got correct wages and free time.
How things work out in modern times I donĀ“t know, but I know several of the older generations who had nannies who stayed with the family even when the children had grown up, became housekeeper and a friend in the family.
My nanny married when I was four and she married a very nice man and slowly a lifelong friendship developed between my family and hers.
0 Replies