Which?:Laptop or desktop?

msolga

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 08:28 pm
If you were going to purchase a (good) used computer, would you choose a desktop or laptop model? To be used as your only personal computer.

What would be the reasons for your choice?

(I'd love to buy a new one, but the cost is prohibitive at the moment. Not an option.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 8,030 • Replies: 89
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 08:49 pm
A good laptop, not more than 2 years old I would say. I have both but I use my laptop far more. They are portable and, for most applications, just as good as a desktop.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 08:59 pm
@msolga,
When I faced that decision, I went with the desktop. Better keyboard, easier to upgrade should I want to, came with a mouse, and I'm less likely to wander of and leave it someplace. Harder to steal a desktop, too.
BillRM

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 09:13 pm
@roger,
I am using a large laptop for my main computer and a small netbook for traveling.

One thing there is no reason not to used a full keyboard with a laptop by way of a USB to Keyboard/mouse connection.

Now why would price be a issue with a new laptop or desk to running in the range of 500 hundred to 700 hundred dollars that will be far better then even a two year old computer?
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 04:36 am
@BillRM,
youre a breath mint.
msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:03 am
Thanks for your responses Nick, Roger & Bill ....
I've always used a desktop for non-work purposes, so I was wondering what others thought might be the benefits of thelaptop alternative .
Bill, replacing my (very old) computer is only (one of quite a few!) things I already know I need to spend $$$$ on during this year, I'm not keen to spend more than I need to. And I'm absolutely determined not to use the credit card option. I'm being very strict about my expenditure for very good reason.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:05 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
youre a breath mint.

Could you translate into Oz speak, farmer? I'm not sure what this means.
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:11 am
@msolga,
you are a breath mint.
NO
You are a candy mint.
BREATH MINT
CANDY MINT.

It sort of a capsuled form of what such diuscussions can turn into. I just wanted to get it on the table before it got ugly.
Im sorry, Im in a devilish mood for some reason.
How ya doin? gday!
msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:28 am
@farmerman,
Right. I think I understand ....
You'd be surprised how much "American speak" requires translation,farmer. There you guys go, nattering away together ... & sometimes I find myself wondering what exactly certain terms mean. Most of the time simply I make an educated guess, rather than make a goose of myself by constantly asking .....

And g'day to back to you!
How am I doin? That's "How ya goin?" in Oz speak.
To which one must respond with "Good!", no matter how disgusting & shitty one is really feeling.
So I'm good, thanks for asking! Wink

And you?
ebrown p

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:35 am
@msolga,
I would buy a desktop. They feel better, are easier to upgrade and in general they are cheaper (for the same performance).

The disadvantage of a desktop is that you can't pick them up. But, if you have a good desk... a desktop is a fine choice.

msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:47 am
@ebrown p,
Yes, I'm rather leaning that way, ebrown, possibly because of force of habit. I've had to use laptops for work purposes in the past & found them a rather cramped experience (smaller keyboard, no mouse, etc). It was always a relief when I finished my reports & could put them away till the next time. I found it pretty frustrating when I had to spend a lot of time using the laptop.
Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 05:55 am
@msolga,
If you don't intend to take it anywhere, the desktop would be the best choice for many of the reasons that have already been given.

If you want to take it on the road you can always plug in a monitor, keyboard and mouse at home and use it like a desktop. Adding peripheral cards would be the limitation.
msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 06:13 am
@Intrepid,
Thanks, Intrepid.
It would be used almost exclusively at home. Apart from a time when I might have to move out & stay elsewhere if a hoped for renovations to my home actually does occur.
As I haven't used a laptop for a few years, I was wondering if the newer models might be bit more comfortable (than the older models I used) when being used for extended periods of time. I'd used a mouse with my old laptops, but hadn't considered adding a keyboard as well. But, as you say, unless I want it to be portable, a desktop makes more sense.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 06:33 am
I dropped into OfficeWorks to check out the range of new computers on the way home from looking at the second hand computers (they're all around 2 years old). Just wanted to compare notes. Checking out the range of laptops, I found myself drawn the the biggest ones. Bigger screen, bigger keyboard area, but wow, the prices! Those hig bombas are VERY expensive!
Intrepid

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 07:11 am
@msolga,
Just a note that I would be wary of used laptops. You don't know if they have been dropped or abused during their life with the former owners.

Yes, the new laptops are much superior to days gone by.
msolga

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 07:26 am
@Intrepid,
Right. Thanks again, Intrepid.
Now I'm just remembering my own daily travels with laptop ... I was pretty careful, but all that lugging from car to building, building to car & back ... Yep, the odd bump did happen now & then.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 08:54 am
@msolga,
Quote:
And you?

OY, Im running the farm today and Im all confused about medicine doses for the two sick ewes we have . (They have worms and were treating them till we can put em all out on permanent pasture)
farmerman

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 09:00 am
@farmerman,
PS ms Olga. Id go for a desktop too, just because I use a couple of laptops that we buy from govt shops where they are deeply discounted to project participants. I only use a PC laptop as a notebook to write stuff. I use a MAC book to construct equations and graphs. Both laptops are about a year or more old. The newest gizamos on laptops dont make a world of difference in either speed or presentation. The difference between a 128Gig hard drive and one of 160 Gig is gonna be measured in years of fillup (unless I was just doing vids)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 09:00 am
@Intrepid,
i agree...I got burned buying a 2 year old laptop...the warranty on new stuff is worth the extra ducats
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 09:03 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
you are a breath mint.
NO
You are a candy mint.
BREATH MINT
CANDY MINT.

rectal suppository?
0 Replies