Selling of sex and violence

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:15 pm
Has the entertainment industry stepped over the limits of decency in it's selling of sex and violence? What is your opinion on subjecting the industry to meaningful censorship?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,470 • Replies: 33
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:26 pm
It's about the same as fatty french fries and the american capitalist ways. going to keep selling.
0 Replies

Rose

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 07:01 pm
I am inclined to agree with husker, au1929.

Censorship SHOULD be the decency of the INDIVIDUAL, but often the indecent prevails.

for myself and my family, we'd rather stay home and listen to our own choice of music and play board games, than attend most of the movies, or night spots available.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 10:07 pm
Trying to cure the entertainment industry of it's marketing methods is like trying to blame the schools for a child's poor study habits. The reinforcement of values and ability to make responsible choices starts at home.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 01:46 am
They need to make money. And you'll always make money targeting the lowest elements of society.

Maybe they should target conservatives.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 02:50 am
Hollywood has been completely out of control in this regard for years, they turn out
films for one reason - greed, with absolutely no regard for the social impact that they will have, why should they care they don't have to live in the inner cities?

Take the Al Pacino film Scarface, there virtually isn't a line in it that does not contain the F***, or C*** word, the film is pure unadulterated rubbish, but it has one quality, it teaches young people how to speak like "grown ups".

There is another film starring James Woods in which they snort cocaine every few minutes, except for the times when they are sticking needles in their arms. Can anyone seriously believe that this constant neverending barrage of trivializing drug abuse, and rape, and senseless gratuitous violence will have no effect on highly impressionable young people?

If they do, then tell me, is it a coincidence that two boys in Liverpool Lancashire kidnapped a two year old baby and battered him to death with stones on a deserted railway line, and finished off the "scene" by pouring a tin of blue paint over his lifeless body as per the CHUCKY film?

Or how about the ten year olds who are arrested? In my day they said "honest sir it wasn't me" now they say **** you copper you cant prove ****.

Hollywood has demonstrated quite clearly that they need to be regulated, Steven Spielberg summed it up for me very well.

He had just completed Jurassic Park and deliberately made it in such a way that 6 year olds would be able to see it, (had it been x rated it would have taken tens of millions of dollars less at the box office)
When asked whether HIS 6 year old would be allowed to watch it his reply was NO WAY.

Thanks steve.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 03:27 am
An episode of Law and Order SVU a few weeks ago, starred Fred Savage as a sex offender who represents himself, with the aim of intimidating his victims. That was on Thursday night. The next Monday morning the headlines of the newspaper told a story of 2 sex offenders who have decided to represent themselves!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:13 am
I agree with the people who say that censorship and morality begins at home. We can piss and moan all we want, but blood soaked, trash littered garbage SELLS. People who are entertainment business are in it to make money, and offer what the public wants to buy.

If a produced attempted to turn out a movie like the stuff that Doris Day and Rock Hudson did in the fifties, he would be filing Chapter Seven in short order. People have become bore and more jaded about sex and violence, and pitifully, that junk is what makes the cash registers ring.

It is up to parents to provide role models for their kids. Parents need to monitor what their children are watching, and explain to them why trash movies are unacceptable. They also need to take the time to introduce them to quality films and TV programs. Problem is, in this "victim mentality" that seems to permeate society nowadays, parents tend to abrogate their parental duties, and blame everything on forces outside of themselves.

As far as copying what is seen on TV, this sort of stuff has been going on for years. A neighbor boy of mine, in the forties, tried to play Superman, which was all the rage. He "flew" of a second story porch, and fractured his skull. When my son was a kid in the 1960's, Batman paraphrenalia was banned from his nursery school.

It is not up to the government to censor. People have the right to see trash if they please. It IS up to the parents to inculcate a concept in their children that junk movies are not only unacceptable, but not really very interesting. If people decide that they don't want junk, and look for quality, producers will stop making trash movies. Movies and TV are a consumer driven market. Avoiding junk movies and TV shows is the most effective way of creating change.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:22 am
But with the majority of people being morons, trash television is NEVER going to go away.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:27 am
Quote:
But with the majority of people being morons, trash television is NEVER going to go away.

So be it. That does not mean that YOU, or your children, have to watch those shows!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:32 am
I don't, but with only 3 commercial TV stations in this country, that's all that's available. I'm lucky enough to be able to afford satellite television, but many can't
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
Wilso- I assume that they have books in Australia! :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:35 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Wilso- I assume that they have books in Australia! :wink:

Got to be able to read first Laughing
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:36 am
Getting the feeling that many of oppressed peasantry of this country do not impress me?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:42 am
Phoenix32890
Do you believe that being bombarded with the glorification of sex on TV and the movies has no impact on young and fertile minds? IMO it leads to babies having babies. Add to that almost glorifiction of roll models, celebrities are roll models, that bounce from bed to bed impregnating women the way bees pollinate flowers. And the female celebrities that gladly accommodate them. As for marriage that is only an after thought and of course temporary.
IMO opinion no matter how we try to shield and teach our children much of it gets through in the same way that peer pressure does.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:48 am
au1929 wrote:
Phoenix32890
Do you believe that being bombarded with the glorification of sex on TV and the movies has no impact on young and fertile minds? IMO it leads to babies having babies. Add to that almost glorifiction of roll models, celebrities are roll models, that bounce from bed to bed impregnating women the way bees pollinate flowers. And the female celebrities that gladly accommodate them. As for marriage that is only an after thought and of course temporary.
IMO opinion no matter how we try to shield and teach our children much of it gets through in the same way that peer pressure does.

There was a news report on that very issue here just last night. People are now calling for sex education to start in primary school. How long before it starts in kindergarten?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
I think the real question is why is there a demand for this? Sex and violence sells because it is hard-wired into our survival instinct. I agree that the education of kids must start at home. For the sellers, the bottom dollar is the bottom line. Censorship only makes the garbage more attractive. America has played the 'blame game' long enough, don't you think? Frivolous lawsuits clog the system, McDonald's is supposedly responsible for making kids fat, and nobody needs to accept responsibility for anything anymore, because there is a lawyer on every corner. I say stop it already, suck it up and do your best.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:51 am
Genesis begins with And God created heaven and earth and it was good. The typical teen movie starts boy meets girl, boy has sex with girl and it was good. Your children would have to be deaf, dumb and blind or living in a cocoon not to see some of that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 06:53 am
au1929- You read stories in the newspapers of terrorists bombing, and people robbing banks. Are you concerned that the kids will emulate them?

It IS true that our society has gotten much looser when it comes to values and morality. (Remember what Hollywood did to Ingrid Bergman, when she left her husband and ran off with Roberto Rossellini?). Therefore it is all the more important that PARENTS are vigilant, and stress appropriate behavior to their children. Little kids should not have TV being used as an electronic babysitter. Parents need to sit with their kids, and teach them to enjoy things are are good and helpful to them, like the Discovery Channel, the Learning and History Channel. It is the PARENTS who need to be the censoring body for kids.

I am completely agreeing with what you are saying, about the sex and violence in our culture. but I do believe that it is not the role of the government to censor. Once you walk on that rocky road, all of our freedoms are abrogated.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:08 am
Phoenix32890

Quote:
Once you walk on that rocky road, all of our freedoms are abrogated.

This of course is carrying that statement to the extreme. But using the same logic why have any laws. Why prosecute for theft or even murder? Because there is some point at which a line has been crossed and government in a civilized society for the good of all where government should and must step in. I believe that the line has been crossed and the smut being produced needs censorship. I should remind you that it at one time had been by, If memory serves, the Hays office.
0 Replies