How do you find what makes you happy?

jimrich

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 01:59 am
@maporsche,
I'd googled "happiness is a choice" and learned how to be happy right now all by myself.....no crutches or dependencies!
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 02:18 am
@jimrich,
jimrich wrote:

I'd googled "happiness is a choice" and learned how to be happy right now all by myself.....no crutches or dependencies!
what is wrong with dependencies?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 9 Sep, 2012 07:03 am
@jimrich,
jimrich wrote:
I'd googled "happiness is a choice" and learned how to be happy right now
all by myself.....no crutches or dependencies!
That 's a GOOD POINT!
We each can select our own emotions!

David
0 Replies

niel

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 12:12 am
Hello all,
I guess that that happiness formula our ancestors was looking for still evade us to this day. Is there anyone who need to know how to find happiness?
Regards
Guillaume
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 10:16 am
@maporsche,
Do u suffer from anhedonia ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 10:20 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
So, I read The 4-Hour Work Week by Timothy Ferriss a few months ago, which I enjoyed and have been trying to incorporate into my life.

In this book he mentions that a person's source of income should mainly be used to finance whatever it is that makes the person happy. Makes sense right?

Here's my problem, I am really having a hard time finding what really makes me happy. I've been trying to ask myself, "If money were no object, what would I do with my time?" and questions like that, but I can't think of anything that I 'know' I'd enjoy doing.

The closest I've come is that I enjoy trying out new things and going on new adventures, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to keep me motivated to succeed.

I'm worried about getting stuck in a rut, and feeling that I've achieved enough, and losing my drive.

I don't know, just thinking out loud I guess.
Get another Porsche.
See if u like THAT.

Some people are un-happy
because thay don t have enuf Porsches.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2014 10:42 am
@niel,
The people of Denmark happens to be the happiest people on this planet. Check it out!
niel

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 02:34 am
@msolga,
Strange but true, happiness has been a subject of intense search many millenniums ago without any success, so much so that wealthy merchants offered huge rewards for the formula of happiness!

One thing that is undisputable is that industry caught onto this phenomena quite soon and created artificial happiness objects such as a ladies best friend, diamonds! Others associated happiness with a way of life like what to wear and where to live all resulting in a vacuum costing money!

Happiness is not tangible and neither a state of one's mind or just how resilient one may be, neither has philosophy anything to do with happiness!

Psychologists and linguists have all different understandings of the meaning of happiness without anyone actually presenting a simple formula of how to be happy.
0 Replies

niel

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 03:08 am
@maporsche,
I guess finding happiness is a matter far beyond finances, money, assets or even a mental state as happiness cannot be imagined neither is it tangible.

Being resilient in conquering daily problems or succeeding in making huge sums of money will not increase the ability to lasting happiness!

So what is happiness then you may ask and I can unequivocally state that my conclusion is that the action of happiness is building blocks for when you are old and grey and the reward of happiness is being happy!

Could I suggest a real simple but practical exercise in two parts:
1. As from today smile as much and as frequently as possible so that when you implement part two one objective has been reached.
2. Find someone who needs a hand, maybe a old lady wanting to cross the road or load heave articles into the boot of her car.

Do this for one week and take stock, sit back and evaluate your experience and feel free to share this with us.

Guillaume
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 06:07 pm
@maporsche,
You wrote - which caught my eye,
Quote:
The closest I've come is that I enjoy trying out new things and going on new adventures, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to keep me motivated to succeed.

That's precisely the reason I love world travel. Not only to travel to live for awhile in a foreign country, but to learn their history, culture, food, drink, and the people. Another added benefit is to meet so many interesting people from around the world. To me, at least, that never becomes boring.

Many countries have long interesting histories that can keep one occupied for years. I'm also learning that I really don't know that much about our own country, the US of A. I'm not that familiar with Virginia, Delaware, Kentucky, South Carolina, Alabama, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Kansas. However, I have traveled the equivalent of about 30 times around this planet, and have visited over 200 countries with 106 unique countries based on the Traveler's Century Club list. I will be visiting my 107th and 108th country when I visit Iceland in September and Puerto Rico in November (considered an unincorporated territory of the US, but listed in the Traveler's Century Club).

I've been traveling about seven trips a year for the past several years, but at 79 years old, I'm beginning to show the signs of age. I tire more easily, but can still walk over five miles a day without any problem.

Finally, what's also fascinating about world travel and repeating destinations is that we get to see more of the destination that we failed to see on our previous visits.

If you're interested, I have a travel blog at <www.travelpod.com/members/c.i.222> Take a peek; it might wet your appetite to do some traveling. The adventure never stops, and I'm happiest when I plan and actually visit those places that provides me with new experiences that satisfies most of my senses.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The people of Denmark happens to be the happiest people on this planet. Check it out!

Yes, because they drink a lot Wink
...and The Netherlands for obvious reasons too! Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 05:06 pm
@CalamityJane,
Doesn't matter when they have good health and longevity! Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
saab

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 08:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
As a matter of fact the Danes have not as good health nor a longevity as most of the other European countries.
They are simply just DANES. You wont find anybody like them in Scandinavia.
You have to go to Britain to find those ,funny, wordplaying and full of humor and sarcasm individuals
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:36 am
@saab,
From unsdsn.org.
Quote:
The report identifies the countries with the highest levels of happiness:

Denmark
Norway
Switzerland
Netherlands
Sweden
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Denmark is rated #2. Not bad at all!
http://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/happiness-score/by-country
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
It's interesting to know why certain countries have the highest suicide rates...that goes for professions too. Interesting paradox as why the "happiest" places have high suicide rates.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:48 am
@Germlat,
I remember some years ago when there were a high incidence of suicides among dentists.

From businessinsider.com.
Quote:
1) Dentists are 5.45 times more likely to commit suicide than average

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/jobs-commit-suicide-2010-10?op=1#ixzz38mpGMntj
Germlat

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
I remember that study too. I wonder why the trend left. If it did in fact. Maybe people practicing the profession became more aware of their dissatisfaction and sought help. I have a number of hypothesis...just random ideas really..but thought it odd. According to statistics people from Okinawa live the longest of all people. Probably a combination of diet, lifestyle and outlook on life. My 97 year-old grandma still lives. She wakes up early and loves music and dances still....she's a little old German bitty who loves life.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:31 pm
@Germlat,
People who have positive outlook on life helps with longevity IMHO. Stress kills.

I've already outlived the average longevity for Americans, and wonder how many more days, months, or years, I have left. Mr. Green Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Germlat

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well...it's important to keep what really is important at hand...all else falls into place. I think you'll be around a long time. Razz