INDIA : LEADER IN HEALTH CARE

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 06:34 pm
i guess we all want good health care for everyone at reasonable cost .
where do we find it and how can we get it ?
look at INDIA and it might provide the answer .
and perhaps the amazing thing is : most of it is PRIVATE HEALTH CARE ... but with a twist !
so how do they deliver private health care at an affordable cost ?
EASY ! charge more to the rich so the poor can get it low or no cost !!!
that's REAL CAPITALISM , i'd say .
hbg

from the article :
Quote:
The rich world’s bloated health-care systems can learn from India’s entrepreneurs

Unlike the hidebound health systems of the rich world, he says, “in our country’s patient-centric health system you must innovate.” This does not mean adopting every fancy new piece of equipment. Over the years he has rejected surgical robots and “keyhole surgery” kit because the costs did not justify the benefits. Instead, he has looked for tools and techniques that spare resources and improve outcomes.

Shivinder Singh, head of Fortis, a rival hospital chain based in New Delhi, says that most of the new, expensive imaging machines are only a little better than older models. Meanwhile, vast markets for poorer patients go unserved. “We got out of this arms race a few years ago,” he says. Fortis now promises only that its scanners are “world class”, not the newest.

Mr Singh is not alone in thinking that many firms in the rich world are looking at innovation the wrong way. Paul Yock, head of the bio-design laboratory at Stanford University, which develops medical devices, argues that medical-technology giants have “looked at need, but been blind to cost.” Amid growing concern about runaway health spending, he thinks the industry can find inspiration in India.

http://www.economist.com/business/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13496367&source=hptextfeature

what i'm wondering though is , once the huge western "medical" conglomerates get hold of the lucrative market , are they going to try and snuff out this somewhat unusual system where they "rob the rich and give to the poor" ?
perhaps india's religion plays a role in allowing this practice of medical care .
i doubt that any western style medical system would permit this kind of capitalist system that serves one and all to exist ?
do you think such a system would be found acceptable in western society ?
hbg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 0
No top replies