droots

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 01:48 am
i have got a pewter fireplace its starting to get rust in places is there any thing i can do about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,750 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 05:06 am
@droots,
Take a magnet and see if it sticks to the fireplace metal. If it sticks its iron (not pewter) and the mantle fixture can be removed and sand blasted. Id then take it and have it coated withan electrostatic coating that cn be color coded. The process is called "powder Coating" and its really will restore the fireplace surround and the mantle. Id tick with a color that is either neutral or will enhance the room, (no pinks or flaming oranges). Id suggest a powder coating of a semi gloss black. When you get the fireplace all disassembled, take it to a powder coating company and they will usually clean it for coating.

Coating is an electrostatic powder pigment that is then baked on at a high temp. (Pewter would never make it in a fireplace, its too "meltable" in high temps and would easily dent when a log hit it.
0 Replies

mokey10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 02:25 pm
@droots,
oh oh! pick me! pick me! i know what you can do! go into the bathroom, and sit on your big ole ass on the toilet and just let it rust!
0 Replies