Another Water Softener Question

Reply Wed 15 Apr, 2009 07:03 pm
I am a newbie here so be gentle. I need some insight into replacing my current water softener. Back around 1987 I had a home demo from a Rainsoft dealer and was really impressed until I got the $3000 price (I'm a cheap SOB). I decided to look around and bought a unit from Home Depot that I think was a Star brand they sold at the time. I installed it myself and it worked for about 10 years but started to not recycle by itself, so I went back to HD and bought a GE Smartwater single tank GXSF39.. single tank and installed it myself also. It lasted with a few problems until last week.

I noticed that the flow rate was diminished and thought it was my whole house filter (also HD from GE) and changed the filter. It helped for a while but as the water flows, it gets progressively slower. While filling the washing machine it slowed to a trickle. I switched the GE WS bypass valve to bypass setting and the flow jumped up to where it should be so I figured the resin in the WS was clogging the flow somehow.

I also had problems about 8 months ago with the Pot Chloride salt I use turning into a rock at the bottom of the brine tank and not allowing the unit to regen right and the water got hard even when I manually regenerated several times. I drug it out in the driveway and emptied the salt and brine out. I laid it over on its side and slid the resin tank out to clean out the solidified Pot Chloride (I took the valve apart on the top of the resin tank and removed it). After washing out the tube and float and cleaning the brine tank, I re-assembled everything and added Pot Chloride and recycled several times. The water was soft and it worked for about 6 months when another salt rock happened again and I repeated the process of cleaning it and it worked fine for a month or 2 when the flow rate decreased. I switched back to regular softener salt (NaCl?) after the 2nd cleaning when the low flow happened.

Sorry for the long dissertation but I'm an Engineer and can't help myself. Wink

Now for my question. I went back to Home D and they carry a newer model of the GE but I wanted to look around for maybe a better unit. I went by Sears tonight and the Kenmore units there have the same control head as my GE has. I found a place on eBay that sells GE Logix, 2 tank units. So is there hope for my old clogged GE and what could cause the low flow? I think the little turbine wheel in the outlet pipe does not rotate freely and my regen times are getting long, but I could try to remember to regen manually every 3 days or so.

I did read several pages of discussions here about the merits of the GE Logix units and others and I wanted to see where I could get a replacement softener for a decent price since all the plumbing is in place. Thanks for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,955 • Replies: 6
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2009 06:47 am

I've adopted a few orphaned DIY clients that have the top of the line softener from SEARS.
The softener works as advertised and it's not real expensive.
putz

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2011 08:46 am
@H2O MAN,
I am having the low flow problem with a Culligan purchased in the '80's. Is there a solution to the problem. I am not an emgineer, so be extra gentle? Thanks
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 03:17 pm
@putz,
putz wrote:

I am having the low flow problem with a Culligan purchased in the '80's.

Much has changed/improved in the last few years.

Replace that Culligan with a new system that has a digital Fleck control valve and be happy.
ct water

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 11:36 pm
@putz,
Definitely replace it since it is over 20 years and you are experiencing pressure problems. Would have Culligan out to see what they offer if you have been happy with their service. It is possible that your water tank needs replacing and sediment from your well collected in the tank. Good Luck (might consider the Ecowater ECR3500R30)
0 Replies

ddixon88

Reply Mon 7 May, 2012 08:20 am
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for Rainsoft silver series? please email [email protected], thx in advance.
0 Replies

odavy

Reply Thu 24 May, 2012 05:39 pm
@H2O MAN,
I purchased my home back in Jan and one of the first things I checked was the salt and noticed that there was none so I put one bag of pellets in and the salt isn't desolving. It has however clumped and is harden. I check it from time to time because I'm worried it's not filling up with water. I have no idea how old it is. I don't know how to set time. I have googled from here to mars trying to find out as much as I can but no luck. Other than getting someone to come out and look at it...any ideas? Thank you
0 Replies