What cutting-edge science field should I go into?

aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:09 am
I'm not going to bore you with my life aspirations, but in brief, I plan to do cutting-edge science of some type and then make big bucks out of it. Eg find a cure for Alzheimer's and then patent it and sell the drug (that's just a hypothetical example). A combination of science research and business. My question is, which scientific field is going to be the biggest (potential money maker) in the future? Currently in mind I've got Genetics for drug production and food technology and Neuroscience for brain implants (from where I'm standing it seems highly likely that society-changing trans/posthumanism will occur before the next century). Physics bores me; I prefer something Biochemical-related. Hence I don't think robotics would be my thing. Practical neuroscience, or at least the type I have in mind, would probably involve knowledge of computer technology, which I am neutral towards. What do you think is the best option?

On a final note, yes, I do think highly of myself :-) but I truly believe I am capable of what I have set myself out to do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 7,805 • Replies: 51
No top replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 04:49 am
@aperson,
heart surgery
aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 08:51 pm
@solipsister,
That's not really what I meant. I'm talking about research science, you know?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:23 pm
@aperson,
Aside from your vainglorious ideation, which is amusing, I'll suggest you can't know the track until you explore further.
aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Read again. I said which field will be the biggest. It has nothing to do with "personal exploration".

I'm glad you can find amusement in me. It's a good quality.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:54 pm
@aperson,
Which year would you like it to be the biggest? four years from now? ten years from now? twenty years from now?
aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:55 pm
In hindsight maybe I should have cut out the vaingloriousness. Then maybe I'd have gotten more responses...
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Hmmm I'd say 15 to 25.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:16 pm
Howzbout: what cutting edge Science Fiction field should I go into?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 10:21 pm
@Chumly,
you used to be a pretty cool online entity, what turned you so mean?
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:51 am
@aperson,
ooo aperson you remind me so much of aperson questing

to know that you will be brilliant whatever you do is enough, now go do it

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:16 am
Isaac Asimov

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Isaac.Asimov02.jpg
boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:26 am
I saw this ad on craigslist and thought of you!

Flawless Business Plan Seeking Teleportation Scientist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-02-18, 2:37PM CST

Quote:
We are a small group of very well qualified businessmen who have a complete business plan that aims to yield investors, and partners, 1,000% returns within only a five year period. We have all the pieces in place, including CEO, marketing, and finance management. The only missing piece is YOU! We are looking for a very motivated, team-oriented scientist who has experience in teleportation research and/or technology. We will provide patent funding and small stipend. Once technology prototype is developed, the business will take off running- or teleporting! Significant equity will be provided as payment. Send a resume and any other information that may set you apart from other teleportation scientists. Can't wait for you to join our team.

Compensation: Small stipend for living expenses; significant equity in the business
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
Please, no phone calls about this job!
Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:43 am
@boomerang,
Nick swore I posted that when I ran into it and sent it to him. See, I've been boring him to death for years now about how I'm going to invent teleportation...

As for the question, I vote nanotechnology if you really believe what you said about making the kind of once-in-a-century contribution to mankind in a field, and computer science for more realistic chances of making a world class contribution and reaping the rewards. Remember, Google and it's billions is based on one simple algorithm that changed relevancy ranking forever and the beauty of computer science is that the barrier to doing something great in the field is largely in your mind, you don't need funding to write an algorithm. And there's a lot of money to be made for brilliant algorithms.

Here's just one example of how making the best algo can make you rich. Netflix is putting up a million dollars just for a 10% improvement on their movie recommendation algorithm. See here: http://www.netflixprize.com/
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:58 am
Nanotechnology
Neurobiology
Genetic Therapy
Bionics
Quantum Computing
Advanced plastics and Metal composites
Viral engineering
Vacuum mechanics
Zero-G construction

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:35 am
@Chumly,
Exponential technological growth, baby. I got sixty years ahead of me at least. It's a slippery slope, and that ball just keeps on getting faster.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:40 am
@solipsister,
Thanks!
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:13 am
@ Robert

Yes I do believe what I say. I think computer science is a good idea for making money, though my passion lies in "real" science. I'd love to do computer science as well, but my problem is I just can't do everything! Maybe I could learn computer science on my own. After all, the most computer literate people in the world are teenagers with no tertiary education (if hacking is anything to go by...).

As for nanotechnology, that is one that I personally think is overhyped. Yes, it probably will change the world eventually, but currently we know almost nothing about it. The only applicable piece of nanotechnology so far is a nano-radio (correct me if I'm wrong). On the other hand, maybe I am being hypocritical - we know almost nothing about the brain, and yet I think brain implants aren't too far away. I don't know.

@ Cycloptichorn

See above about nanotechnology.

Bionics - there's another thing I think is going to be big in the future. It goes along with brain implants in the whole posthumanism package. However, it involves robotics, so maybe it's not for me.

Quantum Computing - isn't that quite a narrow field? I don't know, but I'm guessing it will only take one group to make it applicable and affordable, and then they've cornered the whole market. Not enough opportunities within it.

I don't know much about the last four (or the two above them). Can you enlighten me?
aperson

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:29 am
@Chumly,
And Chumly, you should check out Shift Happens on YouTube, preferably the narrated version. It's slightly outdated, but you get the general idea from it.
spendius

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:16 am
Knife sharpening.