5 Second Rule - Do you or don't cha????

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:12 pm
So if you drop something on the floor, do you pick it up, brush it off and eat it? Do you follow the rule or not?

URBANA--High-school student Jillian Clarke investigated the scientific validity of the "5-second rule" during her apprenticeship in Hans Blaschek's University of Illinois lab this summer. You know the rule: If food falls to the floor and it's in contact with the floor for fewer than 5 seconds, it's safe to pick it up and eat it.

According to Clarke, a senior at the Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences, the 5-second rule dates back to the time of Genghis Khan, who first determined how long it was safe for food to remain on a floor when dropped there. Khan had slightly lower standards, however; he specified 12 hours, more or less.
The rest of the article can be found here...
http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/news/list.cfm?NID=2467
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,445 • Replies: 10
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:26 pm
I knew the Khans, Genghis and Mildred. Mildred wouldnt let anything lay on the floor she always had her vacuum by her side
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:44 pm
I'll eat dry food that falls on a reasonably clean floor, but not wet food.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:19 pm
I used to tell my daughter (for reasonably dry food on a reasonably clean floor/ground), "Quick! Pick that up and eat it before your mother sees you!"
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:08 am
No, for two reasons:

1. You don't know what the last person walking on that floor stepped in earlier today and the material is transfered immediately upon impact, not over five seconds. If I can't wash it thoroughly, I throw it out.

2. We have a dog, so snack food never remains on the floor long enough to pick it up.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 11:31 am
When food fell on the floor, my mother used to say: "The devil kissed it". It got me wondering about how often the devil was kissing my shoes or licking my soles.

Nowadays, I do the same as littlek. The devil doesn't scare me as s/he used to.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2003 04:52 pm
What an image -- the devil as linoleum!
0 Replies

gingy

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:56 am
if it is on the floor. usually i throw it out. if it lands on a table or chair i would eat it.

but they say you eat a pound of dirt before you die. whatever that means.

maybe you can't die until you eat a pound! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:34 am
Nope. I never get a chance. The dogs are there long before 5 seconds are up.
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
I don't do it on summer. On other seasons, I always check if no one has stepped on the snow before.
0 Replies

gingy

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:49 pm
laekner
what if you drop it indoors?
0 Replies