What makes my cats want to roll in the dirt?

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:37 pm
@msolga,
Orgasmic is the word with mine, Msolga.

Horses look pretty damned bliss bombed when they do it, too!
roger

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:42 pm
@msolga,
They do look happy rolling in the dust. If we had more rain, I could raise some really happy pigs, huh? Let them roll in the mud.

Let them sleep outside.
msolga

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 11:48 pm
@dlowan,
Then it must be great for them, Deb!

Why should we quibble about that?

So what's a bit of laundry, a bit of general cleaning up & dusting off, when compared with the experience of bliss?

Dammit roger, if our dear, darling animals can experience some sort of state of bliss we can only dream about, then who are we to argue? Wink

Better that some being/s in the household does, than no bliss at all! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Apr, 2009 07:39 am
@roger,
Dunno about cats in particular, but the thinking for a lot of animals is that the dirt-rolling is (in part) an effort to cover their own scent with other scents - so predators can't find them, and they can catch up with prey without being sniffed out.
jackzace

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:45 pm
@roger,
He/She might have like tick or somethin

roger

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:57 pm
@jackzace,
I should probably give him a going over for that, though I hate to get my hands that dirty. Mostly, I've about decided they do it to be annoying.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 02:31 am
@ehBeth,
I thought that was horrible smelly stuff and **** rolling?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 07:45 am
Our cats would roll on the bed in ecstasy whenever we changed the sheets. They couldn't care less about the clean sheets sitting on the floor, or the stripped mattress, but as soon as one sheet hit the bed, they'd be all over it.
roger

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 11:17 am
@DrewDad,
Yes, they do that too.
0 Replies

Deziraye
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 12:35 pm
@roger,
Cats roll in the dirt for a multitude of reasons. The main being HYGEINE. As crazy as that sounds. It is good for their coat. It helps remove shedding hair, oil and skin flakes. Also, during hot days, is a way for them to cool off and lastly, it is a way of marking their territory.
roger

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@Deziraye,
Your forgot the main reason. They do it to annoy the boss, but thanks for the answer. Other than that one point, I think you are competely right.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 12:24 am
@Deziraye,
Deziraye wrote:

Cats roll in the dirt for a multitude of reasons. The main being HYGEINE. As crazy as that sounds. It is good for their coat. It helps remove shedding hair, oil and skin flakes. Also, during hot days, is a way for them to cool off and lastly, it is a way of marking their territory.

And, judging from the ecstatic body language when they do it, it feels ferking FABULOUS.
0 Replies

Liz47

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 07:24 pm
My cats not only roll in the dirt but some time ago a skunk sprayed on the concrete under my carport. All the cats have to roll in it when they go outside!!! Then they all smell like skunks!! puzzles me
roger

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2010 08:09 pm
@Liz47,
Suddenly, I'm glad my guys like dirt.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 May, 2011 03:40 pm
My neighbors' cat make a break for freedom yesterday. She made it twenty feet out the door and couldn't resist a long, squirmey roll in the sandy gravel. Neighbor snuck up, recaptured her, dusted her offf, and marched the poor thing back indoors.

Some things are just too sad for words.
0 Replies