I think my lawyer lied to me?

tdbleau

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:34 pm
So here's the thing... My boyfriend got a b and e 4 years and 6 months ago, but the lawyer said if he did 9 months in jail, the court would reduce it to a misdemeanor. He has it on file. Were trying to move into an apartment but can't get in anywhere until's it's expunged but it never should have been there in the first place... HELP!! I don't know what to do in this case

Gargamel

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:42 pm
There must be some misunderstanding.

It is not in a lawyer's nature to lie.
djjd62

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:43 pm
i think you may have to have the charge removed, dropping the charge probably made it easier to do this, but i believe it's your responsibility to petition to have the charge expunged
tdbleau

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 01:48 pm
@djjd62,
ya I know it's my responsibility, but as a misdemeanor we wouldn't be having this much trouble finding residency, shouldnt the lawyer have some responsibilty?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

But, you'll notice she put a question mark at the end of the title of the thread.
So, she's really not sure.

I'll bet she finds out soon enough that everything's just fine.
tdbleau

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:18 pm
@chai2,
ahhhhhhhh no, I said that with a ? at the end because I'm confused at why he would. I know he did. the ? wasn't if he lied to me it's what I should do about it
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:55 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

et tu, Gargamel?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 04:00 pm
@tdbleau,
tdbleau wrote:
So here's the thing... My boyfriend got a b and e 4 years and 6 months ago, but the lawyer said if he did 9 months in jail, the court would reduce it to a misdemeanor. He has it on file. Were trying to move into an apartment but can't get in anywhere until's it's expunged but it never should have been there in the first place... HELP!! I don't know what to do in this case

I'm trying to understand what you've written here ... maybe you can help me out:

What do you mean when you say: "He has it on file"?

When you say you "can't get in anywhere until it's expunged" ... until WHAT is expunged? WHAT shouldn't have been there in the first place? Is a felony showing on his record?

Your boyfriend does have all of his paperwork from 4.5 years ago, right? What does his plea agreement say? What does the sentencing order say?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 05:24 pm
@Ticomaya,
Finally, a vocie of reason.

Be careful though tdbleau, this guy will lie to you.

Like the scorpion, it's his nature.
0 Replies

khadijah1213

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 11:13 am
@tdbleau,
Here's somethin' wait 9 months, move, and live happily ever after.
0 Replies

Legaladvocate

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 07:47 pm
@tdbleau,
You may consult another lawyer for a second opinion. There are lawyers offering free consultations.
0 Replies