when to stop pain meds?

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:39 pm
It's bean 2 months since surgery, I have a prescription for pain meds (ever 4 hours as needed--darvocet) but I would like to stop asap. ever since hosp discharge I have taken 1 every nite at bet-time for sleep. My doc (yesterday) told me "take as needed" but I'm unsure of the "as needed" part.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 3,596 • Replies: 22
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:42 pm
you just take it at bed time?

can you split the pill in half?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
@dyslexia,
save 'em, they are worth $10 each to your neighbors...

(i am not a doctor, I just like messin' with you)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 08:28 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

you just take it at bed time?

can you split the pill in half?

Good idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 08:29 pm
@dyslexia,
I suspect she means try it without taking them but if you need one, take one as you have been doing. Or, as others said, try taking half a one at bed time and see if that's enough, and then, whenever you feel ready, try taking none.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:06 pm
@dyslexia,
Take one less than the beduins

Big light in sky frightens beduins in desert.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2009 11:20 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
My doc (yesterday) told me "take as needed" but I'm unsure of the "as needed" part.

In my doctors' language, "as needed" means "wait until the pain gets worse than you are willing to tolerate, then take a pill." Assuming the medication kicks in quickly enough, it's pretty straightforward.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:36 am
@dyslexia,
If you can sleep without them, you might stop entirely. If you wake up from pain in the middle of the night, take one then.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:19 am
@dyslexia,
I'd go with the "weaning" too.... half a pill for a week or so.... then maybe even quarter of a pill. Darvocet is pretty strong so...

anyhoo...
http://www.drugs.com/darvocet.html

You may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop using Darvocet after using it over a long period of time. Do not stop using Darvocet suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely.
Darvocet can cause you to have unusual results with certain urine tests. Tell any doctor who treats you that you are using Darvocet.

Also, if you stop, cold albaturkey, other meds may cause slightly different reactions/symptoms/results.... just to be aware of course tho this may not be applicable if you've only been taking one at night - still, "months" is long term use...

What other drugs will affect Darvocet?
Before taking Darvocet, tell your doctor if you are using any of the following drugs:

aspirin or a blood thinner such as warfarin (Coumadin);

carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol);

glycopyrrolate (Robinul);

mepenzolate (Cantil);

atropine (Donnatal, and others), benztropine (Cogentin), dimenhydrinate (Dramamine), methscopolamine (Pamine), or scopolamine (Transderm-Scop);

bladder or urinary medications such as darifenacin (Enablex), flavoxate (Urispas), oxybutynin (Ditropan, Oxytrol), tolterodine (Detrol), or solifenacin (Vesicare);

a bronchodilator such as ipratropium (Atrovent) or tiotropium (Spiriva); or

irritable bowel medications such as dicyclomine (Bentyl), hyoscyamine (Anaspaz, Cystospaz, Levsin, and others), or propantheline (Pro-Banthine).

Great news that the pain is subsiding and coming off painkillers is another huge step a? You'll be dancing soon cowboy!!!!! Wink

Take care. x
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:26 am
I didn't take any darvocet last nite, but here I sit at 4:30 a.m. with just enough hip pain to keep me wake.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:50 am
@dyslexia,

that would be the "as needed" part...
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:53 am
@dyslexia,
wanna cuppa tea cowboy?

it's horrible when the pain wakens you and is just enough to stop you going back to sleep - makes the rest of the day harder work too. Hoping there's a good sunrise for you to watch - early morning - nicest part of the day - nicer tho when you've had a good rest beforehand.

maybe try a half a pill tonite - to get you thru the nite a?

have you any meds less strong than darvocet that you can take during the day (without other med interaction).... if you're in pain now - maybe take half or quarter of a pill now so it doesn't worsen thru the day.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:56 am
@Izzie,
I always start the day with a nice cuppa, sugar and lemon added.
Izzie

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:06 am
@dyslexia,
Sounds a lovely way to start the day - hopefully soon without pain too- what time does the sun rise this time of year in your part of the world?

Going to make a cuppa meself ... Earl Grey, with milk.... no sugar. x
dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:19 am
@Izzie,
izzie (bitch woman from hell) nobody with a mind sips early grey, assam is tea, the sun rises about 7;30 a.m.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:29 am
I just knew Izzie was going to turn out to be a "morning person".
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:30 am
@dyslexia,
Dys (blue-eyed cowboy who is dysliked the world over) - no no no, assam is too weak for my liking - need a little bit of bite! Hey, you wanna choc chip cookie.... i swear i won't spit on it first! Wink

oh...

wait...

<sh!t>

maybe

by the way - you started tomato growing yet???

hey RogRat - morning, afternoon, evening.... mmmmm... not much time to sleep - way too much to be doing. Love a sunrise, better 'n a sunset in my book!

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 04:11 pm
@dyslexia,
"As needed" = The pain keeps you awake or prevents you from engaging in normal activities when awake.

Izzie is right though.

After two months or more of taking the pills, you probably should wean yourself off them rather than stopping all at once.

Unless of course you like to feel like you look.

Hey, keep this up and you'll have something else in common with Rush.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
hey dickwad, I quit taking all my PRESCRIBED pain meds and have bean up for the last 2 days in severe pain so tonite I took a percocet and hope to get some sleep. btw I still wear a stetson.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 4 Apr, 2009 12:45 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
hey dickwad...

I forgive your rudeness Gabby because of your pain.

If you are in pain, by all means take as many pills as you can lay your hands upon.

If you are not in pain, by all means take as many pills as you can lay your hands upon.

Take narcotics --- in moderation, they are good for you.

Take drugs, of any kind, with intent and they will be good for you.

If you don't want to take drugs then stop whining (you cooty old dickwad) and wean yourself off of them. That's the best advice you've received GOD.

You will find yourself quite capable of rationalizing addiction, if you don't have the Old West guts your A2K character aspires to, and then you will find yourself along side Rush. Perhaps now you can actually empathize with a real life crud bum.

Most old farts die after a broken hip, so you're way ahead of the game. Good for you. Don't worry, be happy and may you live many long years to come, without pain, and in reflective bliss.

Truly.

0 Replies