flying car makes 1st flight

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:53 am
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/03/Terrafugia-Flying-Car.jpg
it's an unleaded-fueled front-wheel drive vehicle on the ground, It gets a fuel economy of around 30 MPG and has a top speed of 65 MPH. The design features an automotive-style entry and exit and it'll retail at a street price of $194,000 when it eventually goes on sale. But, you can reserve one now for just $10,000 at Terrafugia's website.
The two-seat aircraft is able to fly 450 miles at over 115 MPH and is designed to transform
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 22,500 • Replies: 16
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:37 am
@dyslexia,
So, Im driving along I 25 and I wannna take off. Who do you call?, You just take off and hope for the best? What about a flight plan? do we worry about **** like that?
I guess the dopers will want one for short deliveries over the Mexican border, course its not too fast so itll be easy to keep up using a crop duster.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:16 am
Hah, my dream has come true! Bad tongues always said I was flying to low,
but now I could have it all!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 09:56 am
Wow! Has anyone alerted Avery Brooks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFgRAcr0jg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 11:24 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
[...] it'll retail at a street price of $194,000 when it eventually goes on sale.

Right, count me in! I'll start saving now. Of course, that'll take about 3 lifetimes. Rolling Eyes
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 02:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Oh, great.... new ways to get in auto accidents.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 03:34 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
Right, count me in! I'll start saving now. Of course, that'll take about 3 lifetimes

what have you been frittering your money away on - wine , women and song ?
abstain from those expensive habits and you too will soon be placing your order .
you be good now ! Wink
hbg
hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 03:43 pm
@dyslexia,
this is the one for me :

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/flying-car-m400.jpg

the late 1950's issues of " mechanics illustrated" predicted that we would be using "flying cars" within 10 years .

they also predicted that by that time all highways would have an "automatic guide system " .
you'd drive your car onto the highway , punch in your destination and the car would drive you to your destination - the driver could have a nap , eat ... whatever . a few miles before reaching the destination , the driver would be alerted and take the car off the auto guidance and roll up at grampa's house - all refreshed !
hbg
rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:19 pm
@dyslexia,
That thing can't fly, the wings are too small. I don't believe it. Unless the picture is distorted or something.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:20 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

what have you been frittering your money away on - wine , women and song ?
abstain from those expensive habits and you too will soon be placing your order .
you be good now ! Wink
hbg

Unimportant stuff like....you know, food, utility bills, gas, etc. Wink Laughing
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:58 pm
The picture is deceptive, the wings are full sized. This is more of a "roadable" aircraft than a flying car. It's essentially an aircraft with foldable wings, nothing more. I can't imagine anyone ever wanting to own one of these for any reason other than novelty.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:04 pm
@hamburger,
Hamburger, you'll have to change you usual sophisticated attire if you pilot one of those. Thinking... flameproof red and yellow striped jumpsuit with special helmet.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 07:57 pm
This is not new. There was one built in the forties or fifties. It had a top speed of 45 mph as a car and 90 mph as a plane. It's wings were detachable. As recently as 10 years ago it's owners were still driving and flying it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:03 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

this is the one for me :

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/flying-car-m400.jpg

the late 1950's issues of " mechanics illustrated" predicted that we would be using "flying cars" within 10 years .

they also predicted that by that time all highways would have an "automatic guide system " .
you'd drive your car onto the highway , punch in your destination and the car would drive you to your destination - the driver could have a nap , eat ... whatever . a few miles before reaching the destination , the driver would be alerted and take the car off the auto guidance and roll up at grampa's house - all refreshed !
hbg

This guy has been around for years trying to get this to work.
candide

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 08:08 pm
MAN, Thats cool. I need that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 03:24 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
This guy has been around for years trying to get this to work.

all he has to do is drag it up a mountain and ask some friends to push him and his "vehicle" off a cliff - and away he goes ... crash , bang ...

that's what otto lilienthal did in germany in 1893 - but when he landed he had to walk - no wheels !

http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/images/20005769-r%20copy.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 11:21 am
Clearly not done by the design team at Morgan (who all died 40 years ago)
0 Replies