Grain to feed the starving?

Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 02:41 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
You can find it in any store that sells grains in a bin; rice, millet, bulger, that sort of thing.

It comes in 2 colors, red and tan.
I bought some yesterday, the red kind. It was I think $2 a pound, american. The lighter color one is double the price.

Okay, thanks, Chai. I'll do some more searching to see if I can find it. The price concerns me though. It may not be in our budget. Will have to investigate.
chai2

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 03:02 pm
@Reyn,
Remember that it swells while cooking, and if you buying from a bulk bin, you could just buy a dollars worth, or less.

It doubles in size when cooked, so actually it ends up being quite inexpensive.

One other thing is that it's a real stick to your ribs food. It would be hard to eat an entire cooked cup of quinoa, that's 1/2 cup raw, especially if you had it mixed with other veggies or fruit. When you do finish it, you're not hungry for hours and hours. It really stays with you.

heh....I made two cups (after cooking) this morning, left about a third for wally to eat for breakfast, ate about a third of it for breakfast at work, and the other third is sitting in the fridge here. I'll eat that tomorrow. Probably cost about 50 cents.
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2009 06:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
It doubles in size when cooked, so actually it ends up being quite inexpensive.

Hmm, interesting. I'll ask my wife if she's familar with it.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:56 pm
@chai2,
I'm like so drooling over the pictures you posted of grains. Now my keyboard's wet w/ saliva. I'm so hungry.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:03 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

It comes in 2 colors, red and tan.

3 colors - red, tan and black. The black is great tasting and visually stunning when prepared as part of another dish.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:13 pm
Cool, more converts!
chai2

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:17 pm
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:

Cool, more converts!

Yes, one day, in the not too distant future, everyone, from the high and mighty to the low and humble will be asking "WTF is Quinoa?".
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:37 pm
@chai2,
In our area, the AMish grocery stores bag and sell bulk quinoa, spelt, grain marnth, and wild rices. They have other , less common grains that I had no idea about . Ill look more closely nwxt time I go to the Amish "asupermarket".

Ive tried amaranth grains popped like popcorn and hit with maple asyrup. (Robert Rodale had been pushing it for years) Pretty good. Ive never tried quinoa , but will now buy a bag and try it as a cereal first. (using grains as a cooked cereal is the best way for me to judge flavor before using it in something that everyone may hate)
chai2

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:12 pm
@farmerman,
yeah, like with squid.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:15 pm
@mac11,
Laughing Not yet. Still haven't been able to find it locally yet. What the heck?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:30 pm
Thought of Chai and Mac when I saw this recipe by Mark Bittman -

http://content.markbittman.com/node/22

Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad
Makes: 4 servings
Time: 40 minutes

2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa or other small-kernel grain or 1 cup raw
1 large or 2 medium (about 1 pound) sweet potatoes
Salt
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup minced red onion or shallot
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic, sherry, or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup minced fresh chives or parsley leaves

If you haven’t already, cook the quinoa or other grain. Drain in a strainer and rinse. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potato and dice it into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces. Cook it in boiling salted water to cover until tender, about 15 minutes; drain well.

Toss together the potato, quinoa, bell pepper, and onion; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Whisk the oil and vinegar together and toss the salad with about half of this mixture; add all or some of the rest to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning, garnish with the chives and serve.

Southwestern Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad. Add 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced, to the mix, along with the sweet potato and quinoa; add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, chili powder, or hot red pepper flakes. Add 1/4 cup toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Use freshly squeezed lime juice in place of the vinegar and cilantro in place of the chives.
0 Replies