Rare Superman Comic Sells for $317,200

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 04:47 pm
Quote:
NEW YORK " A rare copy of the first comic book featuring Superman has sold for $317,200 in an Internet auction. The previous owner had bought it for less than a buck.

It's one of the highest prices ever paid for a comic book, a likely testament to the volume's rarity and its excellent condition, said Stephen Fishler, co-owner of the auction site ComicConnect.com and its sister dealership, Metropolis Collectibles.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090314/ap_on_re_us/superman_first_issue

So......................what do YOU have in your attic that might make you rich?

If you had the money, would you spend that kind of cash for a comic book?

Have you ever gotten a windfall from selling something for which you paid very little?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,656 • Replies: 3
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:19 pm
When I was a boy, my stepfather sneered at my comic book collection. "You act like they're worth a million dollars. You take them out to the shed and you keep them there from now on." Little did any of us know. One of my brothers bought and sold many of the more valuable comics, including the one in the above article (not the exact same copy, probably) and did very well, until he sold the business. I ended up losing my collection.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:39 pm
My son collected sports cards, baseball and football. He had quite a collection. When he divorced his wife, and came to remove his belongings from the apartment, he found that the cards were missing.

He is still at it, started collecting hockey cards, and has a nice little business on E Bay.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:41 pm
@Phoenix32890,
In his business, my brother bought and sold sports cards as a sideline. It bought him a new Impala and payed lots of bills.
0 Replies