It never hurts to ask - charity auction

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 08:32 pm
Does anyone know any famous people well enough to get a donation of a collectible that could be used in a charity auction. It could be an autographed ball, script, picture, whatever. I am the president of my local Lions Club and we are planning a spring auction as a fund-raiser; our treasury is getting a bit lean. (A full 100% of money raised from the public is returned to the public.) Given the sometimes-less-than six-degrees of separation, I figured I might as well try here. If you can help, you can answer here or e-mail me at [email protected]. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,218 • Replies: 5
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 09:51 pm
Cutting and pasting to forward to myself. No guarantees, but there's no harm in passing the request around a bit (i'll remove your contact info, so it doesn't just wander off into the world)
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:31 pm
I will check with my Aunt in Dallas tomorrow for you. She has a ton of Texas stuff going back over 100 years. Maybe she would be willing to part with something.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Wed 27 Nov, 2002 10:42 pm
Bermbits -- If you have enough lead time... a group in our area wrote friendly notes to several well-known authors, asking if they'd donate a book, signed of course. They received several. Apparently many authors, even famous ones, love this kind of approach. It seems like the group had a good PR line, going for books within a specific interest area, I'm sure that helped.

Good luck.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 08:25 am
Thanks for the replies. Maybe it's just me, but I DON'T want someone to part with something of theirs (as in JD's aunt's collection). What I envision is as suggested by Piffka, which I will certainly try.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 28 Nov, 2002 09:35 am
It really depends on how much money you want... and if you were an active fund-raising organization and had auctions every year.

If you can get to the right person, another thing is to ask an artist to consider donating a piece of art... permanently or for a specificed length of time (say ten years). Then you auction off, to great fanfare, the "use" of the piece. If it is a good one, each year it will improve in value both as a piece and as an auction item. So it does an artist a favor too. Many regret selling their early pieces. And who wouldn't want, say a Dale Chihuly in their living room? Especially one which was in the say club president's home the year before... A certain amount of competitiveness is expected. (Insurance, obviously must be obtained.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It never hurts to ask - charity auction
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:55:49