Possible to repair a corroded alloy wheel?

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 04:24 pm
One of the tires on my Honda Accord is slowly going flat. I have been inflating it about every 1.5 weeks so I finally took into a tire shop today thinking I have a small hole in the tire. Their diagnosis was that the bead seat(?) in the wheel is corroded so there is no tight seal. Air is leaking from the rim. They told me that I need to get new wheels. Are they being honest or are they trying to get more sales? Is there a way to repair this? Please help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,915 • Replies: 4
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 05:02 pm
@fanatics39,
i understand that wheel-shops can "rebuff" a slightly corroded wheel .
btw my new honda accord wheels lost air during the winter - had to increase the tire pressure to 35 pounds - now put it back to 33 pounds - still1 pound above rec pressure .
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 01:23 pm
Just ask them to put the sealant on the bead when they reinstall tires. You can clean up the corrsion with some steel wool to help
0 Replies

fanatics39

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 08:02 pm
Thanks!

What you guys say is along the line of what I read online. Unfortunately, they refuse to put the tire back on because they claim it's too dangerous - that the tire will pop. I think i will just take it to another shop.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 11:06 pm
What Curtis said. The bead picks up goop and road crud and if it gets in between the rim and the tire it can mess up the seal and you lose air. Happened to me many times over the years. Take it to an independent mechanic and have them clean the rim and see what happens. There are kinds of corrosion that alloy rims can have happen to them, so that's a possibility, but it's more likely it;s gunk of one sort or another.
0 Replies