I'm starting to like Bristol Palin

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:02 pm
I've long seen ebrown as strongly hostile to feminists, of which I am one. No, I'm not radical and I've thought some of the rads are loonies myself.

I'm a feminist who has defended men on the relationship threads, even going head to head with Noddy, whom of course I loved/still love.

I see ebrown as instantly reactive re almost anything at all about women. Prickly - assertively so in a fairly defensive maneuver way.

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 07:23 pm
@Green Witch,
I wasn't running away from the discussion... I was running away from the idiotic little spat that DrewDad and I had after he started name-calling.

Osso, I don't remember you provoking my "prickly", "assertive", "defensive" or "reactive" tendencies in the past (although I seem to be provoking these traits in DrewDad and now you).

Arguing over the meaning of the word "feminism" is probably futile. If you want to call yourself "feminist" that's fine with me, even if you don't meet my definition of the word.

But look...

What I object to is threads that, in my opinion, have an unbalanced view on the roles and traits of men and women.

And yes, as a man and the father of sons, I do get a bit prickly at the unnecessary hoops, and negative stereotypes that modern society puts on men.

When threads take an unbalanced view on gender roles people here tend to pile on anyone who questions what is now the prevalent view. At the very least, it seems like another view on these issues is a good thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 08:58 pm
@ebrown p,
I'm a woman who threw away Friedan's book, in total aggravation, around the time it came out as a paperback.

One of these day's, I'll have to check it out again.

But I'm also not one of the women without men on an island in Georgia types, snort again.

Sorry, ebrown, but I see you as proto defensive here on a2k, always ready at the flip of a phrase to gang into anything about women., loins girded.

I sometimes agree with you on particular issues but see you as balloon bulwarked against women coming at you.

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 12:31 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Sorry, ebrown, but I see you as proto defensive here on a2k, always ready at the flip of a phrase to gang into anything about women., loins girded.

I sometimes agree with you on particular issues but see you as balloon bulwarked against women coming at you.

given the multi decade attempt of feminists to use overt power to degrade men and the credibility of masculinity a little push back is more than called for, in my opinion. Nice turn to call it defensiveness, when what it really is is rightious offensiveness and offense. What women don't want to hear about is men who no longer will tolerate their claims of victim status, when all evidence is that any real abuse ended long ago, if it ever existed at all.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2009 04:37 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:

No need to apologize Osso. I don't have a problem with that.
0 Replies