I'm starting to like Bristol Palin

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:06 am
In the midst of this blamefest... how about some sympathy for the child? another child born into 2, count 'em 2 fucked up families and a pair of fucked up parents....
ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:10 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:

Kinda depends on who has custody. A single dad with custody is in the same boat as a single mom with custody. But an absentee or weekend parent just doesn't have the same difficulties.

Sure. I don't know about you (and thankfully I am not in this situation), but I would far prefer to be the parent with custody-- in fact I would probably fight for it.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:11 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

In the midst of this blamefest... how about some sympathy for the child? another child born into 2, count 'em 2 fucked up families and a pair of fucked up parents....

I didn't know the Obama girls were downloading kids yet...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:12 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Agreed Bear.

I agree. But it also stinks that the national spotlight is on these three-- none of them deserve to have their personal problems discussed by us random idiots on discussion boards.

The best thing for all three of them is if we all forget about them and let them sort out their lives in private.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 09:24 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
Please give me a reference anywhere on the internet where this kind of sympathy or praise is offered to Kevin Federline. Can you come up with a single example anywhere?

I just googled "Kevin Federline good father" and found a bunch of stuff. This one is particularly laudatory.

Kevin Federline on cover of People

0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 10:37 am
Of course. He's a 'celebrity' as well. What good agent wouldn't milk it for all it's worth? But this is more common than most seem to realize. There are tons of guys out here, regular joes, who have custody of their kids because the mother was on drugs or just took off, whatever, and daddy is doing what any parent does. Day in and day out.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:09 am
@eoe,
Quote:
Of course. He's a 'celebrity' as well. What good agent wouldn't milk it for all it's worth? But this is more common than most seem to realize. There are tons of guys out here, regular joes, who have custody of their kids because the mother was on drugs or just took off, whatever, and daddy is doing what any parent does. Day in and day out.

But, neither of the two young adults being discussed in this story are on drugs, and neither "just took off". And, neither of these two kids have done anything to deserve harsh judgment suffered under a national spotlight.

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:21 am
OH, THE STONE'S BEEN CAST
And blood's thicker than water
And the sins of the family fall on the daughter
All the sins of the family fall on the daughter

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:29 am
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it said

"I'm farting like Bristol Palin."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:29 am
@ebrown p,
so blame her mama. she put her out here and fabricated that whole 'getting married' malarky for her own political career. If anyone sold Bristol Palin out, it was her mother.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:38 pm
I didn't actually expect this thread to go anywhere. I think the article states it was mutual breakup and there is probably some truth in that. I think both parties realized it was a marriage headed for heartache and divorce and it was better to defy their parents than be miserable for years.

ehBrown, are picking on me because I'm a feminist? Aren't you the Barbie hater?
This is the definition of Feminism:
: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

What part do you object to?

For any young people reading this, I have one word for you: CONDOMS!
JPB

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 02:52 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 11:04 pm
@Green Witch,
Quote:
ehBrown, are picking on me because I'm a feminist? Aren't you the Barbie hater?

I don't make any claim to be consistent between threads-- I reserve the right to argue a position because it interests me at the time, or because I feel it needs to be represented and no one else is taking it.

That being said, you can be a Barbie hater without being a feminist.

Quote:

This is the definition of Feminism:
: the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes
2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

If the first definition were correct-- I would be a feminist. Feminism in practice often is in conflict with equality. Men are still second class citizens in issues involving sexual roles, parenting and reproductive rights. In these areas, people who are called "feminists" are often working against real equality.

The second definition is a bit fuzzy. There are many issues I support that could be called "women's rights and interests", equal pay legislation for example. There are probably organized activity on interests I disagree with (I can't think of any right now). What annoys me is the narrative that goes along with these efforts-- the idea that bad men (who have never been victims of gender roles) have been subjugating suffering women throughout history is both silly and offensive.

I guess that in theory, feminism should be a good thing. In practice it seems like tearing down men is considered a "women's interest".
DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 08:55 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
What annoys me is the narrative that goes along with these efforts-- the idea that bad men (who have never been victims of gender roles) have been subjugating suffering women throughout history is both silly and offensive.

You're letting the few define the many. Just like those twits that say all Muslims are terrorists.

You've never struck me as a twit, until this thread.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 09:20 am
@DrewDad,
You are dead wrong on both counts, DrewDad.

1) I have never said that Feminists are terrorists (and we are getting close to Goodwin's law) . My objections are to common ideas that are from people we would all agree are feminists. These problems are prevelent enough to even affect last years primary elections.

2) I have struck you as a twit on several occasions-- generally about gender and parenting issues.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
1) I have never said that Feminists are terrorists

WTF? I never said you did. I said: you're letting the extreme, vocal minority color your impression of an entire group. You're similar to those who can't distinguish between normal Muslims and terrorists, in that you are failing to distinguish the vast number of normal, equality-seeking feminists from the minority of extremist, man-hating feminists.

ebrown p wrote:
2) I have struck you as a twit on several occasions-- generally about gender and parenting issues.

I've disagreed with you. Come to different conclusions from you. Never believed to you be a twit before, though.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 11:07 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
I've disagreed with you. Come to different conclusions from you. Never believed to you be a twit before, though.

That's sweet DrewDad. I guess I just assumed that you would think I was being a twit each time I thought you were being a dork.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 12:54 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
2) I have struck you as a twit on several occasions

I'll add that this mind reading/invalidation bullshit marks you as a major-league twit.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 02:55 pm
@DrewDad,
I don't want to continue this little childish spat with you. I haven't been called names like this since cjhsa disappeared. In a thread whose purpose is to pass judgment on the personal problems of two teenager who none of us have met, I would think we could act with a little bit more maturity. So, I am walking away (cause otherwise I would have to give you a wedgie).

Besides... you fight like a girl.

0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2009 06:53 pm
@ebrown p,
I'm sorry ebrown has run away. I would have pointed out my definition is copied from Merriam Webster. I think they know what words mean:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism