Heroes (SPOILERS WITHIN)

rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm firmly in the sci-fi crowd; and the things you mention don't bother me in the slightest.

Why? Because the coolest part of the series is the super powers and their usage. The story itself is really immaterial.

I must be in the middle somewhere. I love Sci-Fi, but I also love a good character story. But most of all, I like a cohesive baseline story which moves in a particular direction and leads toward some revelation or secret. When Heroes and Lost started they were like mystery stories, but instead of clues to a murder, you had clues to a secret which you tried to anticipate as the shows progressed. But nobody likes a mystery where some of the clues don't makes sense, or even worse, are in conflict with each other or left unresolved. _Lost_ failed the test of logic at some point and I lost faith that its underlying story would be true to itself in the end, so I lost interest. Heroes is now heading in that same direction.

Battlestar Galactica (with only 3 episodes left) is also starting to worry me. I'm afraid that they can not resolve all the clues into a rational basis without resorting to religion or magic (a very unsatisfying turn of events for Sci-Fi fans). Fingers crossed that they can somehow pull it off, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:24 pm
@rosborne979,
Ditto on just about all points.

Edit: I used to be very interested in Lost theories. (Is it an island? A living creature? A spaceship? Do you access it through a wormhole? Alternate universe? etc.) Now I'm just kinda along for the ride, with no real investment.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Ditto on just about all points.

Edit: I used to be very interested in Lost theories. (Is it an island? A living creature? A spaceship? Do you access it through a wormhole? Alternate universe? etc.) Now I'm just kinda along for the ride, with no real investment.

Yup, that's the way I feel about Heroes. I'm just along for the ride because I still enjoy some of the characters and they special effects, but I no longer have any investment in the baseline story because I just don't trust that they will ever bring it to a conclusion or that it will ever make any real sense.

It's unfortunate, but I think this is what happens to most network shows of this type simply because after a certain point, they only want to produce more shows so they can keep the ratings. They aren't really interested in telling a story any more except for the tiny thread they can use to keep the gaudy characters dangling in front of the viewers eyes.
djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 04:01 pm
@DrewDad,
i'm with you DD, i'm just along from the ride, that and ben is one of the most interesting characters i've seen in the last few years
DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:14 pm
@rosborne979,
I like that Heroes brings each season to a nice conclusion. I liked the attempt to rehabilitate Sylar, and how he didn't end up with a heart of gold. I think they've got some surprises left.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 11:16 pm
@djjd62,
Ben's a gas. "I lied, John. It's what I do."
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2009 11:44 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I'm just along for the ride because I still enjoy some of the characters and they special effects, but I no longer have any investment in the baseline story because I just don't trust that they will ever bring it to a conclusion or that it will ever make any real sense.

Same here. I agree with Cyclo that there is still much entertainment to be had in watching people with powers blow stuff up, but what I liked about most of Season 1 was that the characters didn't have to rely on their powers to be interesting. Their powers were actually part of their characters. In the current season the characters are now just walking powers without a compelling story to give them depth. The old Matt Parkman with marital problems was much more interesting to me than the current Matt Parkman who decided he loved Daphne because he had a futuristic vision of her. The old Peter who felt he wanted to be a great hero before he even had powers was more interesting to me than the current Peter who is the hero by default because he has powers.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2009 07:34 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
Battlestar Galactica (with only 3 episodes left) is also starting to worry me. I'm afraid that they can not resolve all the clues into a rational basis without resorting to religion or magic (a very unsatisfying turn of events for Sci-Fi fans). Fingers crossed that they can somehow pull it off, but I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Well, it's over. Battlestar Galactica had its finale last night. They made a stab at answering some of the great mysteries of the show, but I was disappointed by their impartial solutions and use of "the great mystery of life" to explain away many of the loose ends.

I continue to be pleasantly surprised with their choice of musical themes however. I don't know how many people noticed, but they used reorchestrated bits of music from many other science fictions classics, most notably the music from Alien haunted parts of this finale. And of course, "The Watchtower" held the key to their final jump.

On the bright side, The "Sarah Connor Chronicles" continues to be a sci-fi delight. So far there is no "magic" anywhere to be seen, and they are even taking an interesting approach to the problem of time travel inherent in the story.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 11:31 am
I hate Deus Ex Machina. It's been recognized as a cop-out since the Greeks, but for some reason writers keep coming back to it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:48 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

Quote:
I'm just along for the ride because I still enjoy some of the characters and they special effects, but I no longer have any investment in the baseline story because I just don't trust that they will ever bring it to a conclusion or that it will ever make any real sense.

Same here. I agree with Cyclo that there is still much entertainment to be had in watching people with powers blow stuff up, but what I liked about most of Season 1 was that the characters didn't have to rely on their powers to be interesting. Their powers were actually part of their characters. In the current season the characters are now just walking powers without a compelling story to give them depth. The old Matt Parkman with marital problems was much more interesting to me than the current Matt Parkman who decided he loved Daphne because he had a futuristic vision of her. The old Peter who felt he wanted to be a great hero before he even had powers was more interesting to me than the current Peter who is the hero by default because he has powers.

I wonder how you feel about Hiro, who has discovered that he doesn't need his powers to be a hero? Same goes for Peter, who coped with his loss of powers by continuing to try and help people and be a hero.

Cycloptichorn
Shapeless

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I'd probably be into the Hiro thread a little more if there weren't so many other threads going on to dilute my attention. It also didn't help that Hiro's heroics had to come at Ando's expense. My attention was more on the way Hiro stole Ando's thunder than on the importance of Hiro's self-realization. Dunno if that was the intended effect, but that is how I viewed it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:14 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:

I'd probably be into the Hiro thread a little more if there weren't so many other threads going on to dilute my attention. It also didn't help that Hiro's heroics had to come at Ando's expense. My attention was more on the way Hiro stole Ando's thunder than on the importance of Hiro's self-realization. Dunno if that was the intended effect, but that is how I viewed it.

I sort of think Hiro is heavily conflicted due to his vision of Ando killing him in the future. He is after all a young man, and his experiences with time travel have shown that it is very difficult to alter the future in a meaningful fashion; that would be a hard thing to walk around with.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 10:41 pm
I loved the first season. Finished in five days straight. But I think they started going downhill from Season 2 on. Nothing much of importance happened in the second season, and it got so complicated in Season 3 that it stopped making sense.

I have noticed lots of discrepancies in the show, and I hate it when characters disappear without any obvious explanation. In Season 1, we were told that Jessica and Nicky were sisters (Guess, their father killed Jessica and then she took over Nicky? Like taking possession of her body?) and then later into the series (sometime in Season 3), they start saying they were triplets - Nicky, Barbara and Tracy. What about Jessica, dude?

I think writers of this show never clearly had an idea where it was headed. They bring in the "catalyst" twist towards the middle of Season 3 and then get away with it as quickly. Claire was the supposed catalyst, but it turns out that Hiro manages to teleport into the past and becomes the catalyst himself. Huh, what was that?

And I will never understand whatever happened to that cousin of Micah who could replicate actions she saw on TV. They kicked her out without any explanation. They lost me there.

I'm not going to watch Season 4. Or maybe I will, but not anytime sooner. It's definitely not a great show, but I was shamelessly addicted to it. Spent entire nights watching it.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 02:05 pm
@spidergal,
I still watch Heroes if I happen across it, but I don't go out of my way to find it.

I'm convinced the writers don't have a clue where the story is going. They are introducing way too many characters and not following through with any of them.
spidergal

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 12:37 pm
@rosborne979,
During the study break today, I found myself fast forwarding through the Heroes episodes I had previously watched. I've to admit that I still have a soft corner for it. Like someone mentioned here earlier, the very idea of ordinary people possessing extraordinary powers is very captivating. I've loved such stuff since childhood.

I think I'll get myself the fourth season, but I will not watch it anytime soon.
0 Replies