If the pope is infallible, does that mean that screwing children is no longer a sin?

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:37 pm
Just wondering...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,990 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:51 pm
screwing children by proxy has never been a sin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 05:56 pm
Depends on if the required blessing was used. (Hi, Kick)
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:32 pm
@kickycan,
In a moment of seriousness, I heard it explained that regarding the Pope's infallibility (as imaginary as it is) that it only relates to his interpretation as it relates to dogma.

"...this dogma, however, does not state either that the Pope cannot sin in his own personal life or that he is necessarily free of error, even when speaking in his official capacity, outside the specific contexts in which the dogma applies."

I think he's been wrong about the weather forecasting, Superbowl and the Final Four, as well.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
@Ragman,
You're right, the dogma specific condition was what I, at least, was taught. Thus all the foolery of ages could be sloughed aside.

I think I need to work up some vatican gelato, er, Gelato vaticano.

We need fruit. Eggs, find me some nuns. Milk, find me some nun colostrum.
On the fruit, melon, of course. I think this particular coppa di gelato needs a cherry on the top. Cilegie - Cherries Jubilee. Watch for the good years.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@kickycan,
No.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 08:35 pm
@kickycan,
No, no, no, the sin, as always, is getting caught.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:01 pm
@kuvasz,
Analagous to Greek history, where in Spartan' culture, the crime was not stealing (as an example), but in getting caught.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:39 pm
The pope is only infallible when speaking ex cathedra or from his throne on matters of faith and governance.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2010 09:42 pm
@plainoldme,
Not governance, unless something new has slipped in.
Dogma.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 04:20 am
@plainoldme,
pssst..scroll back
0 Replies