Went to my first Brier last night

Mame

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:34 am
Anyone been to one? I've watched the big matches on tv occasionally, but I'd never been to one. Alex was given tickets to one last night so we went. At first we were sitting way up, top row, near the money-bags' box seats. Good vantage point but I started to fall asleep. We went and got a drink and then we sat lower down. Much more exciting when you can see the people.

BC won - Quebec conceded - yay for us. Newfoundland and Alberta were battling it out - it was a close game but the Newfie skip made a big mistake on his last rock and AB won. Ontario beat out Sask, and NB won over Northern Ontario (who also conceded). Good strategies on all four sheets. I know a bit about curling but not much, but Alex used to curl (in Sask it's part of the school P.E. program) so he was a fount of information. Makes it more interesting when you know what's going on, doesn't it?

Anyway, that's one more thing crossed off on my long List of Things to do in Calgary.

Anyone here into curling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:38 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Anyone been to one? I've watched the big matches on tv occasionally, but I'd never been to one. Alex was given tickets to one last night so we went. At first we were sitting way up, top row, near the money-bags' box seats. Good vantage point but I started to fall asleep. We went and got a drink and then we sat lower down. Much more exciting when you can see the people.

BC won - Quebec conceded - yay for us. Newfoundland and Alberta were battling it out - it was a close game but the Newfie skip made a big mistake on his last rock and AB won. Ontario beat out Sask, and NB won over Northern Ontario (who also conceded). Good strategies on all four sheets. I know a bit about curling but not much, but Alex used to curl (in Sask it's part of the school P.E. program) so he was a fount of information. Makes it more interesting when you know what's going on, doesn't it?

Anyway, that's one more thing crossed off on my long List of Things to do in Calgary.

Anyone here into curling?

I love curling!

Well, watching it on TV. Little too warm here to be played with any regularity.

Cycloptichorn
Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:43 am
@Mame,
I played curling once while in Grade 12, a million years ago. It was part of our course.

Isn't curling more of a Canadian thing? I would be surprised if our American friends have actually played it themselves.
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:43 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Why do you like it, Cyclo?

Another thing I liked was the fans cheered for a good shot no matter who threw it. I asked Alex if curling fans ever got like soccer fans and he laughed his head off and said "Look around!" I could see his point - lots of older people in the crowd (says a 50 yr old!) and many kids, so I guess it's a more family-oriented sport.
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:44 am
@Reyn,
I don't really know if it's a Canadian thing - maybe a northern-clime type - I know the Scandinavian countries curl. Perhaps northern USA has teams?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:46 am
@Mame,
What's curling? Bocca for Canadians?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:47 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Why do you like it, Cyclo?

Another thing I liked was the fans cheered for a good shot no matter who threw it. I asked Alex if curling fans ever got like soccer fans and he laughed his head off and said "Look around!" I could see his point - lots of older people in the crowd (says a 50 yr old!) and many kids, so I guess it's a more family-oriented sport.

Like it? I love it! It's like a giant version of bar shuffleboard. I like the combination of physical difficulty with the mental challenge of setting up the board correctly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:48 am
@CalamityJane,
Sorta -

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/02/14/gallery.day4/curling.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 09:50 am
@Reyn,
I grew up in a border state and we were able to get all of the major Canadian networks on our local cable tv. My mother and SIL were/are big curling fans. I enjoy it too but I watch very little television now and there is very little coverage of it here.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:58 am
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTIyMzE3MTE2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIwMTMzMQ@@._V1._SX99_SY140_.jpg

Well, I've seen "Men With Brooms".
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:31 am
@Tai Chi,
ha ha ha - I didn't, but maybe I should. Was it funny?
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 11:34 am
@Mame,
The site where I got the photo claimed the humour was "low brow" Very Happy but I think anything with Paul Gross is worth a look-see. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:13 pm
Am I correct in thinking that lawn bowling is somewhat similar to curling, in that you have to knock out your opponent's pieces?
Mame

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:32 pm
@Reyn,
yes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 10:37 pm
I curl. Just got back from a bonspiel this weekend. Went to the Scotties in Victoria, but the lack of a crowd was depressing.
Depending on the position you may play, ie lead... it can be quite physical, all that sweeping. I started this year, moved away from the cold prairies and joined a cold sport. duh.
Anywho... the difficulty lies in throwing weight, speed, line ect.
I love it.

0 Replies