chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 09:22 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I'm sure you can do your own research and find the information. There's plenty of it out there, and I'm not your research assistant. That's not a cop out, I'm just not into posting links that you're going to pick apart and argue about ad nauseum

And this kind of is a cop out.

I know that there are plenty of people out there who say that this is dangerous....I just don't see any with an M.D. after their name.

If you have a link or a name in mind, tell me so I can check it out. If you don't want to argue about it, then don't. Just provide the information and leave.

PM me and I'll give you the name and number of a cardologist that you can call and ask that very question. He'll be glad to confirm what I say. In fact, I'll give you the names of at least 4 cardiologists who will educate you. You can go on the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners and verify that all the names I give you are practicing physicians in good standing.

However, you'll just find some other excuse to move ahead with this. Like you'll want me to have these doctors call you instead, or have me prove what they say is true.

Like I said in what you've quoted me, the ad nausem has begun.

If you want to believe, or say you believe, that starving your body for a month will produce no ill, perhaps fatal effects, nothing anyone is going to say will change your mind.

You have no common sense.

Common sense would say don't cross an interstate highway at rush hour. You don't need statistics to figure out this is true.

Same thing with knowing doing something that you know will reduce your muscle mass will also reduce the muscle mass in vital organs, and will disrupt the balance of your body chemistry.

Eat, don't eat, you've made up your own mind.

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:03 am
@chai2,
PM sent.

I have plenty of common sense, thank you.

You say there is a lot of research out there on this, but when I search for it, I can't find anything conclusive. I'm just looking for ONE article that says something conclusive. If it's as easy as you say to find, then please help a brother out.

I have read that doing this will cause a reduction in muscle mass once your body reaches starvation mode, which happens after your fat stores are below a certain point (around 7% for men), then your body starts to eat your muscle for energy (including your heart and other vital organs).

I don't plan on fasting long enough to deplete my fat storage even near 7%, but as I've stated, I will measure this and make sure I don't get that low (and stop if I do).
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:39 am
@maporsche,
Just to confirm there's plenty of information around, against long term fast.

As Chai said, it's dangerous and you'll lose more muscle than fat:

Is fasting dangerous?
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:50 am
@Francis,
At least this person is a doctor, however the question she's answering is not appropriate for the situation I'm describing. She's talking about only a 1 day fast. A 1 day fast will result in more water/muscle loss than fat loss. I'm talking about a 30 day fast.

What I've read is that after 1-3 days your body enters Ketosis which preserves your muscle mass and switches your body's fuel source to your fat storage. However, like I've mentioned, this isn't a medically sourced website I've read. I can't find anything from a medical journal or study that confirms or deny's this.

There is not plenty of information around. There are plenty of opinions, but very little information.

And really, Jesus did it, and I've done it twice, and thousands of people do this.
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:54 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

And really, Jesus did it, and I've done it twice, and thousands of people do this.

As far as Jesus, I suggest you read the book "Quarantine" by one of my favorite authors, Jim Crace.

As far as the 2nd part, thousands of people are doing all sorts of things at this very moment, none of which are particularly good for them.

Now excuse me while I go put a paperclip into a wall outlet.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 10:56 am
@maporsche,
Jesus did it? But he was able to feed masses with just a couple lovaes of bread! He could turn water into wine! Maybe it LOOKED like he did it but, in reality, he was partying.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:01 am
@maporsche,
Je n'ai pas de Porsche wrote:
There is not plenty of information around.

If you decided not to read it, that's your problem, but I can only reiterate: There's plenty of information around.

Note that I'm not being judgemental..
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:05 am
@Francis,
I've been searching and reading for DAYS.

1 link that has some data Francis. That's all I've been asking for.

And I know your not judging this. I really do want to see some data that says that this is harmful (and why it's harmful, and under what circumstances).
Francis

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:09 am
@maporsche,
That reminds me another poster in another thread who was looking for some stuff for more than six months, information that I provided him with within six minutes..

But that guy didn't pretend it didn't exist..
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:11 am
@Francis,
If you have 6 minutes to spare to find some medically sourced data regarding fasting, I would appreciate it.

I'm not one to ignore data.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:14 am
@Francis,
I give up.....against my better judgement, since I believe M. is being purposely dense....here's a link to The Oxford Textbook of Medicine....and I don't believe they are talking about the shoes....

google oxford textbook of medicine ventricular fib

Start reading on page 995 and continue through 996, which explicitly names starvation and anorexia has causes for VFib.

30 days of no eating = starvation
30 days of no eating = anorexia

You cannot just say you'll go a certain amount of time and stop if you don't feel well. VFib hits you and you don't have time to eat a burger. You....drop....dead. Splat.

How do you think anorexics end up dying? Because they just disappeared? No, they go into heart failure.

Your body doesn't know fancy words like anorexia, or even simple ones like starvation. All the willpower you have won't teach it those words either.

No, M. you don't have common sense, or else you wouldn't be questioning the fact that not eating for extended periods is bad for you.

Fine, don't eat for a day or 3.

Long term fasting is dangerous.

chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:18 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

That reminds me another poster in another thread who was looking for some stuff for more than six months, information that I provided him with within six minutes..

But that guy didn't pretend it didn't exist..

just that one poster?

I see that all the time.

we just must be google masters.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:42 am
@chai2,
Ok, I understand that starvation causes ventricular fib. I never questioned that.

What I've questioned, and this book did not mention this, was WHEN starvation (defined as a reduction in vital organ tissue, due to lack of food) actually begins to occur.

You say 30 day. Great, do you have a source?

If 30 days is too long, is 25 ok? Is 20?
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 11:43 am
@chai2,
Except you're googling didn't produce the answer to the question I asked.
chai2

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:21 pm
@maporsche,
jesus wept.

did I not say (on more than one occassion) that there is no official instant when starvation starts?

and, if that was your question, it was not the first one, nor was it in reference to your initial post you were planning on going for a month with no food.

See? Your brain is already not thinking correctly, and it's only going to get worse.

In a few days, you'll be a gibbering foole, but you'll think you are clarity defined.

Kinda like being in the room with a bunch of cokeheads who think they're being so creative, when in fact they are just being asses.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:22 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Ok, I understand that starvation causes ventricular fib. I never questioned that.

What I've questioned, and this book did not mention this, was WHEN starvation (defined as a reduction in vital organ tissue, due to lack of food) actually begins to occur.

You say 30 day. Great, do you have a source?

If 30 days is too long, is 25 ok? Is 20?

Well, it may be the case that nobody can really predict stuff like this.

I think that water fasting is the equivalent of a 'crash diet,' ie, a very bad thing to be doing to your body.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:27 pm
Confused good luck, whatever you decide to do, maporshe.
however, i do hope that this won't inspire teenagers or others who randomly pass by.

ketosis might preserve muscle (i don't know), but it also does a number on liver. all around it sounds like not the brightest idea.

i must agree that there are more useful ways of testing willpower.
dagmaraka

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:36 pm
@dagmaraka,
btw, i just put "starvation" into google. the very first article provided more than plenty information about why it might be a bad idea to do willingly to self. but what do i know.
i hope you will at least do something with the money you save- for example contribute towards feeding those who starve against their will.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:54 pm
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

What are you trying to prove again?

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 12:57 pm
I can see a 48 hour or even 72 hour fast but beyond that it just seems like you're asking for trouble.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Water Fast
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:32:41