Losing weight

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 06:06 am
I want to know the best way of losing wieght, and if someone can show links of sites showing easy steps. Reason why is, like most overweight people, they are in fact very lazy, and most people show exercises like how to lose weight in 9 mins or best six pack abs, but they show so many exercises that they put the person off from trying out and remembering what to do.
Thank You
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 38 • Views: 14,406 • Replies: 31
Topic Closed
No top replies

maporsche

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 07:03 am
@hopeless,
The BEST way to lose weight is to eat less food than your body needs.

Visit this site and read this entire article, it is very helpful.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/diet.htm

I'll say it again, the BEST way to lose weight (and really, the ONLY way) is to eat less food than your body needs.

Working out really doesn't even have that much of an impact on your waistline (it does have other healthy benefits). You can walk for an 30min and only burn 250 calories, OR you can only eat 3 slices of pizza instead of 4. Which sounds easier to you?
Bella Dea

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:19 am
@hopeless,
walk
its simple and effective.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:32 am
@maporsche,
I disagree with that maporsche, I've been working out and successfully losing weight without changing my diet (which was always reasonable, I just need to stay very active or I gain weight).

That said, I agree that the best way to lose weight is to eat less food than your body needs -- but exercising is a good way to get your body to need more food.

You need to expend more calories than you take in.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@maporsche,
I'm reading that article... it has a lot of useful info but this isn't quite right:

Quote:
You could consume 1,800 calories per day and then choose to jog 2 miles (3.2 km) every day. The jogging would burn about 200 calories per day, and over the course of 18 days you would burn about 1 pound of body weight (18 days x 200 calories = 3,600 calories).

The benefits of being fit extend beyond just the calories that are burned when you are actually running -- it also affects how you metabolize calories at all times.
maporsche

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
@sozobe,
I agree Soz, and I'm not trying to say that exercise doesn't matter. The after effect of exercise is difficult to measure, and people often overestimate calories burned.

I find it much easier to focus on the calories you eat and the calories you burn while doing the exercise. Eveything else is gravy.

But I do stand by the belief that it is easier to lose weight by controlling your calorie intake (your diet) than it is by controlling your calorie expenditure (exercise). From a time stanpoi t alne this makes sense. It takes no additional time to eat less food, but takes a lot more time to burn more calories.
George

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:21 am
@maporsche,
Agreed. But I'd rather run more than eat less.
George

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:22 am
@George,
. . . but most people wouldn't . . .
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:25 am
@maporsche,
Yep, dieting is essentially more effective than exercise in terms of bang for buck (er, btw, overweight people are lazy? Where's that one coming from -- see initial post).

Exercise is good because (a) you're doing something other than eating, or thinking about eating; (b) you're firming things up, once the fat is stripped away it's going to be muscle that shows; (c) it does metabolize more efficiently/effectively than when you don't have developed muscles; (d) more working out means more endurance to work out more, as there is a difference in calorie expenditure for one hour of exercise versus 15 minutes, but you have to get accustomed to 15 before you can stand 60 minutes, plus you want to do it gradually so that you don't injure yourself and (e) it is a source of pleasure, and it is helpful to get non-food pleasure sources into your life. That helps to quell the emotional component of overeating.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:28 am
@George,
Yeah, that's kind of my point too.

Sometimes people just plain eat too much and they need to cut down.

But once you're eating reasonably, it's sometimes more arduous to count calories et al than to eat more normally and get out there and exercise.

I much prefer to eat normally and exercise, since I enjoy exercising and it offers a lot of other benefits. And for me, calorie-counting becomes counter-productive -- if I don't think about food much, my diet is fine to excellent, but if I am dieting or thinking about it a lot, that's when I start craving the verboten stuff.

Depends on what works best for the individual, within the general framework of burning more calories than you take in.
0 Replies

Monro

Mon 22 Oct, 2012 11:57 pm
@hopeless,
Cardio are best practice for losing weight.walking,running,jogging,cycling,swimming are so effective exercises for fitness as well as burning fats quickly.Diet is also important for losing weight.Eat healthy foods and drink more water.
ossobuco

Tue 23 Oct, 2012 12:02 am
@Monro,
Isn't that nice.
0 Replies

catherin

Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:48 am
@hopeless,
Hi
In my opinion you have to control your diet.Please avoid fast food.You have to do regular exercise and yoga.It help to maintain your body very healthy.Drink a lot of water.
Thanks.
0 Replies

Timothyford

Sat 2 Mar, 2013 03:40 am
@hopeless,
The best way to deal with losing weight is to first change the eating habits. Avoid junk food and make sure for practicing the exercises that will help in burning the fats. Walk, jog daily, this are some of the fantastic ideas that will make you fit.
0 Replies

Stephanie Ingram

Tue 19 Mar, 2013 04:21 am
@hopeless,
Simple and the best way is dieting and exercise.
0 Replies

aarenace

Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:54 am
@hopeless,
Eat less, exercise more.

It's guaranteed to work.
0 Replies

thedentalimplant

Mon 15 Apr, 2013 03:28 am
@hopeless,
You try yoga. It is effective for you.
hcgexecutive

Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:18 am
@thedentalimplant,
I think he is right. you can try it.....
0 Replies

beatrixtuffy

Fri 26 Apr, 2013 12:04 am
@hopeless,
Keep in mind no miracle stick available for quick loss weight, In my view proper workout and effective diet plan gives impressive result in your weight loss program. Try to avoid to take too much junk or fast food and try to take more and more salad or green vegetables.
0 Replies

hcgexecutive

Thu 23 May, 2013 05:30 am
T think you should workout dally and consult dietion and follow proper diet and eat green vegetables.....
0 Replies