What was the name of the 1930's comedy shorts?

164man

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 01:01 am
Does anybody remember the name of the 1930's era comedy shorts that featured a man narrating the action? The main actor was a bumbling husband type that got into trouble doing the most ordinary things, whereby the narrator would say something to the effect, "And did she like it? Oh No!" These shorts aired routinely on TV during an after-school cartoon show in the 60's as I recall.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,985 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 05:40 am
@164man,
There were many of these. I dont remember whether they had an official group name. I recall several well known comedy actors and writers who appeared in these. In High SChool in the late 60's one of my teachers was an avid Robert Benchley fan and he colletd some of these short films in which Benchley appeared.
I think the narrator was the same guy in all of them. He had a high pitched smarmy voice that was kind of annoying. His vocal affectations also came off so that he sort of sounded like a high pitched AL Gore.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 12:52 pm
Could be Robert Benchley, but he was more of a monologist. Sounds like Joe McDoakes, a series of Warner Bros. shorts from the 1940s and '50s (not the
'30s) starring George O'Hanlon, better known as the voice of George Jetson.

0 Replies

164man

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 10:25 pm
Thank you for the replies, but it's neither O'Hanlon or Benchley. Any other possibilities?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:20 am
@164man,
Well, one possibility is that the voice-over was added later for the purposes of showing the shorts on television. That was done occasionally in those days -- even to silent shorts -- to make them more "current" for television audiences. Was there any dialogue?

Also, was it the same actor who played the hapless husband? Was it a series of shorts, or just one or two? Any additional information you could provide would be of assistance.
164man

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 03:27 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thanks for the reply.
I do remember some dialoge. Judging by the autos, etc. they were definitely not silent-era, my guess is around 1935-40. The narrator was always the same voice, sort of whiney-sounding, with sarcasim. The lead actor was a thin, "Dagwood" type guy. I can't say for certain he was the only lead but he was the most memorable. Hope this helps.
0 Replies

164man

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 03:31 pm
@joefromchicago,
I forgot to say that it was a series. I remember a few, always the same theme.
0 Replies

164man

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:14 pm
I just found out the answer: Pete Smith narrated the comedy shorts, and an actor by the name of Dave O'Brien as the bumbling husband. Now my quest begins to find out where to buy copies of them. Thanks for your help.
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:32 am
@164man,
The "Pete Smith Specialties" were shorts produced for MGM. As such, some of them are included on DVDs issued by Warner Home Entertainment as part of their "night at the movies" packages. Warner does a good job of pairing MGM features with MGM shorts on their DVDs, so look for them on discs with MGM films.

Here's one of the "specialties" with character actor Franklin Pangborn as the suffering husband:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 09:35 am
Cool . . . we had another similar thread recently, so i felt certain Joe would know.
0 Replies