1998 honda accord making thumping sound

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:37 am
hello everyone, I'm not a car person and I thought I turn to the experts on this website for some help. I have a 1998 Honda Accord and its making a thumping sound (like plastic hitting the tires) only when I turn left. The frequency of the thumping increases as I accelerate faster and decreases when I slow down. I'm not sure if it is a CV joint or my axels.
any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 7,488 • Replies: 13
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 09:47 am
@anthonycsus,
It could be plastic hitting the tires.

Have you checked inside the wheel well to see if the plastic in there is rubbing against the tire when you turn. Sometimes the simplest solution is the right one.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:13 am
@anthonycsus,
Something can be stuck in tread of tire, or struck in wheel or brakes on left side (likely front but check rear also).
Warped left brake rotor or debris in rear left brake drum
Check for branches and debris in left side wheels, undercarriage, or engine compartment (radiator)
Wheel balance or bent rim
left side CV joint (click or thump)
Left side wheel bearing (more likely to be metalic, squeaky sound)
Brake wear indicator (more likely if sound is coming from both sides)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
clicking sounds while turning left usually indicates a right side c/v shaft problem.
anthonycsus

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:51 am
@Rockhead,
thanks alot...I will that check out. I really appreciate your reply
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 10:53 am
My girl's old sentra used to do the same thing, and hers was the axle, not the cv.

Have it checked out - we didn't for a long time and it ended up costing more than it would have if we'd just gone in immediately.

Cycloptichorn
Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I have a 1998 Honda CR-V..so I can second what Cyclo wrote. However, the sounds wouldn't necsessarily be akin to a plastic sound..more metallic or less specific.

I've had repairs (thumping/bumping clicking noises somewhat like you describe) done to my axles, between 60k to 100k miles. Tie rod ends, end link bushings could be an area to look into.

FYI, at 95k mi I replaced my shocks as they were worn out.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:08 am
to clarify...

if it is a bad c/v joint, a remanufactured axle shaft is the solution.

This is not a do it yourself job as a rule.
maporsche

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:13 am
@Rockhead,
I disagree. I replaced my own axel w/o any problems.

I have more mechanical ability than most, but it wasn't too tough at all.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:15 am
@Rockhead,
I've replaced the CV joint on my '72 mustang once. Hardest part was getting the ball joint loose.

We banged at the goddamn thing for an hour before my pop remembered a specific tool called a 'ball joint separator.' After we picked that up it was a cinch.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:16 am
@maporsche,
Do you think that the average person should attempt it?

Or that they have the tools necessary?

32mm socket and big impact gun pop to mind first...

(I'm not saying nobody can do it themselves, but this is more difficult than a tune up.)

edit...

(a ball joint seperator will be necessary for the Honda as well)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:20 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Do you think that the average person should attempt it?

Or that they have the tools necessary?

32mm socket and big impact gun pop to mind first...

(I'm not saying nobody can do it themselves, but this is more difficult than a tune up.)

edit...

(a ball joint seperator will be necessary for the Honda as well)

Most auto stores will loan out the ball joint sep., but the impact gun, you pretty much have to have access to that!

I wonder, Original Poster, does your town have a Tool lending library? You probably could pick up everything you need there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:23 am
@Rockhead,
What Rock wrote is correct. I should have written to have ALL CV joints and axle and drive train checked.

BTW ..for those who are recommending a DIY repair, if you read back, the author of this thread wrote that he is NOT handy with cars. I do basic tune-ups, minor stuff like oil changes etc..and I would NOT attempt work on axles and/or drive train.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 11:00 pm
Maybe someone's locked in the trunk and that's where the thumping is coming from!
0 Replies