Art and Antiques: The Art & The Deal & Tales of Junque

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
well, i have violated that rule big time . when I separated from my first wife, we split up most of the goods fairly amicably and i was first in line to sell what I could (the only thing i kept ws my jBL theater speakers)

. At that time I needed a really big air brush station and compressor for painting motorcycle tanks and Cheby vans. i still have all the airbrush stuff, but, happily, i dont retain one piece of crap from my early marriage.

Does blenko glass sell well out in the west? or is it just a local thing?
pS i know some dudes who have a long box trailer and a F-350 , and they bring antiques that are regfionally appreciated eAST, then they buy Louis XVI stuff here (where it does NOT sell well) and they take it west or south to nawlins where it commands a premium. They make their entire living by 'relocating" antiques to the part of the country where theyd be most valuable. I always thought this a very clever way of travelling and working. (Sort of like being in the circus)
I met these guys out in Old town Sacramento where they were selling their stuff right out of their trucks. People were just falling over themselves to buy the goods.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:34 pm
Blenko glass is hot, hot, hot in both Dallas and OKC, OK :wink: Perhaps use can come on down this winter. Remember I am able to sell my own art at these shows as well. We would have a blast Very Happy

Buchanan Market Web Page
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 01:37 pm
The cool thing about Buchanan's is the owner is the grandson of the original owner/promoter and he is a doll.

Oddly I meant an elderly couple at First Monday in Canton, TX, they were from OK, and knew Brian's grandfather!

They gave me a really good deal on the item I was interested in almost 40 percent off!

You gotta love this business.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 02:49 pm
sounds like a fairly big market. Are there any American arts and crafts pottery dealers? i found one at Mt Dora in Florida and went home with all kinds pottery , i had to have it shipped and I hated waiting to see if everything was intact--It was.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:49 pm
More than you can imagine and of course there are many wonderful sources less than 200 miles from Dallas in OK, native american - Kiowa, Cherokee, Souix, and many others.

Lousiana is very close too. Shreveport is about 120 miles.

Texas Handbook of Folk Arts and Crafts
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:16 am
Well I am off the the Dallas Antique show this weekend. My stores of junque have grown consideraly even though I sold a lot in OKC last weekend. I even made a little money over my costs for the trip and my booth.

But I got a good deal from a dealer going out of business. Some really great stuff Lefton, Limoges, and Jasper Ware. My hopes are high for this show.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 05:28 am
do you find that that most of the buying takes place on Sat and SUn is much more subdued?

i saw a used "TOY CARRIER" RV. Its a type of fifth wheeler which incorporates a 12 ft box trailer in the end of the rV. Its one big live-in trailer along with a box trailer made to carry things like a motorcycle or other stuff. this one was 36 ft with 24 ft of living space. it was sellin g for less than 25k and was only 2 years old.
those may be what you may ultimately want joanne , because , when people buy them new, they discover that they are only comfortable for one or two people and not a whole family. So they sell them and you can get a great deal on one that is only slightly pre owned.
I was thinking of you when I saw it. Ill see if i cant find some links on this style
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 12:51 pm
Well this weekend's shoe was a great one in more ways than just selling. First on Friday while I was setting up and needing a break Lola showed up and we went for coffee - we had tons of fun, laughing a so much Lola got lost. Dallas is easy to get lost in.

Secondly, I sold another painting which gave my ego a badly needed boost of course.

Sales went well I made my table plus! But the thried best thing was I met some more great folks. And the people in the booth nest to me were dispossing of their privat carnival glass collection, 20% off already reasonable prices. So I got some really nice black amathyest and they kept putting other items on my table, what a treat.

Another dealer gave me a first edition of the Little Engine That Could plus I was able to bur a 1905 edition of The Pilgrims Progress.

And I got a good deal on and Etrscan leaf bowl just like the one my great grandmother used to feed her cats in.

Now I have a couple weeks off to get organized for the next show.

I am planning to set off on the road after the November shows locally and work my way towards the San Fran Gathering in April. I am going to try to show at as many flea markets andtique shows as I can find in Western Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Southern California.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2003 06:33 am
Aw I really envy you. i wanna just punt all this mining **** and sell and buy antiques.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 03:41 pm
i love buying and selling antiques too......but havent been able to make much money at it....
I had a couple of spectacular sales that got me hooked then my profit margin became minimal.....Sad
I guess its all about being in the right place to buy
them at a low cost, and being in the right place
to sell them high!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 05:26 pm
Everybody watches Antiques Roadshow, and apart from the Kenos and David Rago, I wouldnt give a cup of spit for most of the 10 minute appraisals. Most are on the high side. I go by the areas that Im familiar, and often, I see stars in the peoples eyes when theyre done. Each month , in the Maine Antiques Digest (a very excellent antiques trade paper, and a fun read each month) there is always a story about how someone was led astray by a bogus Antiques Roadshow appraisal.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2003 07:45 pm
Thanks for the info FM I will have to order the Maine Antiques Digest. I need to know so much more.

Now that I have a camera courtesy of a wonderful A2k person I am now going to try to sell my Asian stuff on eBay. If that does not work I am going throw in the towel and send them of to a dealer to get rid of them for me.

Texas and OK folks don't to interested in Asian art. However, last month in OKC several native american indians did stop by to inquire about my Raku. It was really fun telling them about it and the were impressed about the part where the sheen in the glaze is the soul of the artist speaking.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:18 am
Friday was a good junking day for me. One of the local industrial churches here in Dallas had a gigantic rumage sale. I was there early and really got some good stuff.

A Nippon hat pin holder, I will probably never sell it, hand painted with violets and sweet roses, Stieffe lamp made from a Kutani vase, a bronze lamp with the foundry mark Cambridge (will have to research that), two adorable pig salt and pepper shakers, and a Royal Staffordshire candle stick dripping wistheria.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:49 am
is the lamp adorned with silver? or do you mean stiffel?

The big outdoor antiques markets (renningers, Shupps Grove) around here , dont open till mid April, so now we have a building pent up, cabin fever driven urge to go and buy at auctions.
The real good antiques auctions (Alderfers, Conestoga, Pook, Pennypacker) all have great stuff but the prices have gone just OOS.
example, a PA Dutch step-back cupboard made of walnut and sulfur inlaid with design, went for almost 300K.
Ive got some good antiques that I bought when I first started in the 70s . I had a college friends father, who was a dealer , advise me to only buy the best I could find of any example. His advice was correct and the prices back then were not crazy.
I bought a walnut inlaid corner cupboard in 1976, it too was sulfur decorated and was dated 1804. Lets say, I did real fine when I sold it .
lately weve been getting rid of all our arts and crafts pottery and are starting to buy studio pottery of the 70s
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 08:57 am
Stiffel - the one with the Kutani. Bronze for the one with the foundry mark and it needs a lot of work, actually I have two of those. And you must be a clairvoyant FM as I did about a week ago pick up a wonder silver plated lamp but cannot seem to find any markins but have not looked at it through my loop in good light.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2004 09:01 am
Stiffel - the one with the Kutani. Bronze for the one with the foundry mark and it needs a lot of work, actually I have two of those. And you must be a clairvoyant FM as I did about a week ago pick up a wonder silver plated lamp but cannot seem to find any markins but have not looked at it through my loop in good light.
0 Replies