Illegal to publish racist material in UK?

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 02:07 pm
InfraBlue:

I think you're still a little lost. Bigots don't seem to target people much on Able2Know, because it is a moderated forum. They do that on Abuzz, but this is not Abuzz.

The correction to the phrase you wrote,
Quote:
They do it here on Abuzz on a daily basis.

should not be "They do it here on Able2Know on a daily basis."

The correction should be, "They do it there on Abuzz on a daily basis."

LOL, I'm not sure how much that matters. It seems that almost everyone here has been on, or is still on, Abuzz.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 02:17 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Also,
prejudice cannot be legislated.

Disagree. Although I was just a child at the time, I remember how white people talked and acted about black people before the civil rights marches and legislation of the mid sixties.

After all that legislation passed, something definitely began to change in white people's attitude. Before all that, people would think nothing of sitting at a table and, if a black person walked by, they would wait until he was barely out of earshot to make all kinds of nasty observations and speculations about their sex life, or anything at all. And it would be considered normal behavior.

By the seventies, a person doing that would NOT be considered so normal. Perhaps nobody would stop him on his speeches, but people would begin to gradually walk away, or other wise show that this was not considered normal behavior.

Legislation, in this case, really did begin to change peoples' attitudes. I witnessed it. It takes time, but the changes are there.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 05:15 pm
The bigotry here isn't loud and outright; it's more subtle and implied, but it's here nonetheless.

I think the civil rights legislation in the US mostly compelled people to conceal their prejudices. At least where I live, racist and bigoted jokes abound, and people freely air their ideas and thoughts thereof if they feel they are in obliging or indulging company. So, segregation here where I live no longer exists, but the mentalities and sensibilities that gave rise to these policies are still alive and well.

Within the past decade or so Texaco and the FBI were successfully sued for discriminatory practices. These instances were on a corporate and federal governmental level.

Your point that legislation can begin to change people's attitudes is well taken.
0 Replies