10 foods people love or hate

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:37 am
Pasted from Yahoo's home page...

What's your take on these foods?

1. White Chocolate: The "chocolate" part trips people up. It's really just a sweet confection (no cocoa involved). Moving on from terminology, when good, it's creamy and vanilla-y, but like "normal" chocolate, when bad, it's just waxy calories.
I don't care for it, then again, I don't care for most creamy foods. It's pretty tasteless to me.

2.Cilantro: Soapy, rotten, or just plain vile are popular complaints from cilantro haters. Did you know Julia Child hated the leafy herb? But behavioral neuroscientists would argue that America's food darling had no control. It's all about genetics. Studies have linked liking cilantro to being able to detect the "pleasing" chemicals in the leaf.
I like it, doesn't smell/taste soapy or rotten to me.

3. Eggplant: For some, it's an old purple sponge and others, the soft-firm texture is what makes a veggie sandwich or an Italian pasta dish. Raw is never good, but fried, grilled, or roasted (always doused with gobs of olive oil), eggplant deserves another chance. Or, the vegetarian sponge will always make you nauseous -- and the roof of your mouth mysteriously itch.
I like it I think because of all the good stuff that goes with it.

4. Coconut: The smell in shampoo and sunblock is one thing. But the sawdust-like shreds of real coconut can mean chewing and chewing forever until you eventually swallow the darn lump. Sprinkled on pies, cakes, and chicken, coconut either adds a mild tropical zing, or a vile, never-ending chewing party. That's when it comes out that a lot of coconut haters don't even know about young fresh coconut which is as soft as a Hawaiian baby's bottom.
I hate hate hate the smell of coconut in lotions, oils etc. Smells "dirty and humid" to me. I like fresh coconut to eat. hardly ever have it though.

5. Tomato: This one really comes down to texture. Slimy and gritty is never good for the tomato world. The cooked, soft version brings in a few fans. Others are only in it for the vine-picked version during their peak season in August (cut to romantic images of Italian countrysides). Others can only bare them on pizza or completely masked inside ketchup.
Has to be a wonderful fresh tomato.

6. Sardines: Cat food or human food? A small whiff can make you seasick or have you loading them on pizza and Caesar salads. Whether fresh or in flat metal cans, the salty little fish has some so obsessed, they'll eat the bones.
Recipe for roasted sardines with bread crumbs, garlic, and mint
I'm ok with sardines

7. Black licorice: Even the red licorice-tolerant may draw the line here. Black licorice gum, jelly beans, tea, Good n' Plentys, and Jägermeister"get it out. Along with any herb, like anise or fennel, that resembles the flavor. Out. Lovers say it's an acquired taste, but I think the little kids have it straight here. Not a real candy.
Bleech!!!! Ptu ptu ptu.

8. Stinky cheeses: If this smell came from something else (a shoe or dog), I might take issue, but knowing it's from a dairy gob, growing moldy in a controlled environment, I'm fine with the pungent aroma. When others sniff Gorgonzola or Roquefort, they're convinced that feet or laundry were actually involved.
Recipe for tortellini with Gorgonzola cream sauce
In general I like cheeses

9. Mayo: Whether Hellmann's or even Miracle Whip, does the creamy off-white slime strip the taste off food or magically make anything better? Haters have been told to try it homemade, but for many, this won't make a tuna or egg salad look any less scary.
It's not a sandwich until you add the tangy taste of Miracle Whip

10. Bell Pepper: To some, all those colorful strips are a mouthful of crisp freshness. To others, they're the backseat driver of vegetables. On a pizza or in pasta, they're supposed to be one of many veggie passengers, but no. The bell pepper's always got to be the loud guy telling your taste buds where to go -- and green, he's the loudest. Green is actually unripened, picked from the vine before its more sweet (and edible) brethren.
They're ok, don't go out of my way for them.

11. Beets: Despite all my white T-shirts you have stained purple, I still love you, beets. People fear you from an early age, but roasted or pickled, you take on a whole new form. The other camp believes the beet smell is such a toss-up between ick and gross and the beet taste is like a metallic vitamin that it's just not meant to be.
I heart beets. I love them any way they are prepared.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 46 • Views: 38,272 • Replies: 94
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:44 am
Broccoli should be on the list. Some people find it bitter, and children often have to sort of "grow into" being able to eat it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:45 am
mmmm

Bell peppers.
When i want a snack, I will run into the nearest grocery store, buy a yellow and an orange bell pepper and eat them like apples.

Di-vine
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:46 am
jillian loves broccoli. fresh out of the steamer, I can make her bowls and bowls of it and she will eat that all day .
To me, it is just ok. Nothing fancy.. but for her its heaven
aidan

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:47 am
1. White Chocolate: The "chocolate" part trips people up. It's really just a sweet confection (no cocoa involved). Moving on from terminology, when good, it's creamy and vanilla-y, but like "normal" chocolate, when bad, it's just waxy calories.
No - milk chocolate first and every day. Dark chocolate - yes, okay
White chocolate - NO!

2.Cilantro: Soapy, rotten, or just plain vile are popular complaints from cilantro haters. Did you know Julia Child hated the leafy herb? But behavioral neuroscientists would argue that America's food darling had no control. It's all about genetics. Studies have linked liking cilantro to being able to detect the "pleasing" chemicals in the leaf.
Yes, like it.

3. Eggplant: For some, it's an old purple sponge and others, the soft-firm texture is what makes a veggie sandwich or an Italian pasta dish. Raw is never good, but fried, grilled, or roasted (always doused with gobs of olive oil), eggplant deserves another chance. Or, the vegetarian sponge will always make you nauseous -- and the roof of your mouth mysteriously itch.
No - texture here is a problem for me.

4. Coconut: The smell in shampoo and sunblock is one thing. But the sawdust-like shreds of real coconut can mean chewing and chewing forever until you eventually swallow the darn lump. Sprinkled on pies, cakes, and chicken, coconut either adds a mild tropical zing, or a vile, never-ending chewing party. That's when it comes out that a lot of coconut haters don't even know about young fresh coconut which is as soft as a Hawaiian baby's bottom.
YES! one of my favorite tastes experiences ever.

5. Tomato: This one really comes down to texture. Slimy and gritty is never good for the tomato world. The cooked, soft version brings in a few fans. Others are only in it for the vine-picked version during their peak season in August (cut to romantic images of Italian countrysides). Others can only bare them on pizza or completely masked inside ketchup.
Yes! Especially cooked in sauces - spaghetti with marinara sauce has been my birthday meal for forty years.
In the summer - I eat them like apples.
No sandwich or burger is complete without one
And in england - breakfast is not complete without one.

6. Sardines: Cat food or human food? A small whiff can make you seasick or have you loading them on pizza and Caesar salads. Whether fresh or in flat metal cans, the salty little fish has some so obsessed, they'll eat the bones.
Recipe for roasted sardines with bread crumbs, garlic, and mint
Love them with saltines.

7. Black licorice: Even the red licorice-tolerant may draw the line here. Black licorice gum, jelly beans, tea, Good n' Plentys, and Jägermeister"get it out. Along with any herb, like anise or fennel, that resembles the flavor. Out. Lovers say it's an acquired taste, but I think the little kids have it straight here. Not a real candy.
Love it!

8. Stinky cheeses: If this smell came from something else (a shoe or dog), I might take issue, but knowing it's from a dairy gob, growing moldy in a controlled environment, I'm fine with the pungent aroma. When others sniff #Love it - especially blue

9. Mayo: Whether Hellmann's or even Miracle Whip, does the creamy off-white slime strip the taste off food or magically make anything better? Haters have been told to try it homemade, but for many, this won't make a tuna or egg salad look any less scar
No Miracle whip - has to be real mayonnaise - love it!

10. Bell Pepper: To some, all those colorful strips are a mouthful of crisp freshness. To others, they're the backseat driver of vegetables. On a pizza or in pasta, they're supposed to be one of many veggie passengers, but no. The bell pepper's always got to be the loud guy telling your taste buds where to go -- and green, he's the loudest. Green is actually unripened, picked from the vine before its more sweet (and edible) brethren.
love it!

11. Beets: Despite all my white T-shirts you have stained purple, I still love you, beets. People fear you from an early age, but roasted or pickled, you take on a whole new form. The other camp believes the beet smell is such a toss-up between ick and gross and the beet taste is like a metallic vitamin that it's just not meant to be.

love beets - especially the harvard beets my mom used to can

But as my kitchen helper says- there's almost no food I don't love and its TRUE!
The only thing I don't love is brussel sprouts and I'm actually pretty okay with those.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:49 am
I hate Deer meat, liver, cumin, green bell peppers,hazelnut anything,bread pudding,green bean casserole, cranberry jelly that pops out of a can like a big jello roll, dark chocolate candy, persimmons, and eggplant.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:51 am
@chai2,
1. White Chocolate: prefer real chocolate myself

2.Cilantro: don't use it much, but i have no problem with it

3. Eggplant: again, don't use it much, but i've always liked it when i've had it

4. Coconut: love it, not as a fragrance, but as a food

5. Tomato: love them, fresh, dried, sauce, juice you name it

6. Sardines: eat them about twice a month

7. Black licorice: take it over red any day

8. Stinky cheeses: the stinky the better

9. Mayo: can't have a BLT without it

10. Bell Pepper: keep a bag of chopped peppers and onions in the freezer, perfect addition to a sauce or stew or soup

11. Beets: pickled is the favourite for me

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:56 am
@djjd62,
white chocolate..
eh thats a joke.

cilantro- rarely used

eggplant- i eat that alllll the time.

coconut - Im actually allergic to it

tomato- eat those like apples too with a dash of salt. Yum. Has to be just the right BIG tomato.. or i will eat a box of the tiny sweet ones

sardines- just.. YUCK

licorice- Wont touch that with a ten foot pole

Stinky cheese? can not say that I have ever tired one

Mayo- Miracle whip baby!!

bell peppers - yup

Beets- Im starting to like those too
ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 12:23 pm
@chai2,
1. White Chocolate:
I avoid it, prefer dark chocolate or occasionally a good milk chocolate.
2.Cilantro:
I like it.
3. Eggplant:
I like it, thin slices grilled with a thin layer of good mozzarella; sauteed in a rice, eggplant, tomato, wine recipe; tried a sweet eggplant dish that Diane ordered at a japanese restaurant and loved it, a surprise. Like it in caponata.
4. Coconut:
I like fresh and packaged coconut, hardly ever have fresh. I like it in good candies, old fashioned coconut cakes, love coconut macaroons, less often unsweet coconut milk in savory food; barely remember what a pina colada tastes like, but probably liked it.
5. Tomato:
Eh to most grocery store tomatoes. Yay to good ones from farmers' markets (expensive), yay to my own homegrown. I use a lot of canned tomatoes (which vary) in soups and sauces; I also like green garden tomatoes sliced thin and put on pizza with fontina and mozzarella.
Hate (so far) tomato paste. I can taste the slightest smidge of it, hate pizza with a red sauce that has tp in it. I imagine there can be good tomato paste, say, in Sicily.
6. Sardines:
I've never had a fresh sardine, which I figure can be marinated like they marinate fresh anchovies (as opposed to the salty things in tins).
I like tinned sardines, am eating them more to get more fish into my diet at low cost. I put them in fish soup, and have started putting them with rice or potatoes, breadcrumbs, onions - into homemade fish cakes. (In that case, I used the tins with louisiana hot sauce, so far). I also like anchovies, tinned, usually mixed in food for flavoring/salt, and fresh marinated when I can get them (that seems to involve a trip to california).
7. Black licorice:
I've despised black licorice from childhood on, Good n Plentys being my least favorite candy ever. I do like jagermeister, sambuca, anise cookies, fennel salad, roasted fennel.. hot italian sausage with fennel seeds,
8. Stinky cheeses:
In general I like cheeses. I wouldn't want gorgonzola three meals a day, but I like it fine once in a while. A favorite pizza has mozzarella, not-too-much gorgonzola, and walnuts as a topping.
9. Mayo:
Like mayo, Hellmans or Best Foods, love real homemade mayo.
10. Bell Pepper:
I like green once in a while in a salad. Like sweet red peppers a lot, either uncooked, or roasted; tend to roast my own. Don't know much about orange and yellow, they're usually too expensive.
11. Beets: beets are on my to-learn list. I'm not rushing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@chai2,
1. White Chocolate: you can keep it. Tastes like wax to me. The mouth feel is horrific.

2.Cilantro: done right in some Asian foods, I love it. Thrown on top of foods that don't work with it, I make faces and pick it off.

3. Eggplant: love it grilled. Hate it when it's prepared with any kind of oil or cheese. Eggplant parm is an evil torture device. Oil AND cheese with eggplant. blecch. <shudder>

4. Coconut: like the taste, am not keen on the odor in cosmetic things. Walking near a pool with coconut oiled people, ptoooey.

5. Tomato: love raw fresh tomatoes. Am crazy for most ketchup-y things. Am learning to enjoy foods that have cooked tomatoes in them.

6. Sardines: love love love love sardines. Anchovies too.

7. Black licorice: I like real black licorice. Do NOT like the sweetened licorice candies. Like the whole fennel/anise world of flavours a lot.

8. Stinky cheeses: like and love most of these.

9. Mayo: love the real stuff, don't mind the dressings/whipped stuff

10. Bell Pepper: can't stand green bell peppers, they hate me even more. Love love love red and orange bell peppers.

11. Beets: love them almost anyway people can find to serve them. Roasted, in soup, pickled ... it's all good.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
@djjd62,
I stole dj's answers because most were the same as mind (thanks, dj):

1. White Chocolate: prefer real chocolate myself but I hardly ever eat it

2.Cilantro: HATE it with a passion

3. Eggplant: I like

4. Coconut: love it, not as a fragrance, but as a food

5. Tomato: love them, fresh, dried, sauce, juice you name it

6. Sardines: ick

7. Black licorice: take it over red any day

8. Stinky cheeses: the stinkier the better

9. Mayo: can't have a BLT without it

10. Bell Pepper: eat 'em all the time but only raw

11. Beets: love all beets

12. LOVE all squashes

13. I'll eat practically everything - I'm more picky about HOW it's prepared.

14. Will not eat organ meats, fish heads, strange sea creatures, tapioca, gelatins, headcheese, spam Smile

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 01:08 pm
Natural Harvest - A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes
by Fotie Photenhauer

http://www.lulu.com/content/4956212
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 01:14 pm
White chocolate, eggplant, most cheeses, I think are vile. The rest is mostly pretty great.
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:52 pm
1.White Chocolate- Love it as an accent but it’s a little too sweet just by itself

2.Cilantro- eh, it’s alright in some things, never needs to be in any salsa I eat. I could leave it.

3. Eggplant- like it tempura style

4. Coconut- love it, really cannot go wrong with coconut

5. Tomato- like them everyway they come except dried.

6. Sardines- YECH!! I won’t even touch the vile things

7. Black licorice- awesome! Much better than red!!

8. Stinky cheeses- does Feta count? I love Feta cheese. Other than that I am strictly non-stinky cheese

9. Mayo- Only in things like tuna salad or potato salad. Never by itself, the smell of it makes me gag.

10. Bell Pepper- love them! Raw or cooked and all the colors.

11. Beets- Haven’t had them in a long time but I remember liking them out of a can.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:12 am
@Chumly,
Quote:
Natural Harvest - A Collection of Semen-Based Recipes
by Fotie Photenhauer

Imagine the guy who is the semen farmer. I saw the segment in Jackass II where the one cast member drank a cup of fresh horse semen. It gagged me so bad I almost puked. That movie was not a contender for any Awards in the year of its debut.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:15 am
Vegemite.
patiodog

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 06:48 am
@dadpad,
They said foods, dp, not industrial lubricants.

On the original list, I hate beets and have no use for white chocolate, otherwise I love everything on it.

And if f-man hates cumin and cilantro, I cannot break bread with him. The nerve...
djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:04 am
@patiodog,
interesting that farmerman would disparage cumin, and then on the crockpot thread suggest garam masala, a spice mixture that includes cumin as one of it's ingredients Confused
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 07:13 am
1. White chocolate in fact contains cocoa butter. I love it.

2. I never liked cilantro, and it drives me batty that it's a "high fashion" ingredient. Every yob who wants to seem sophisticated puts that soapy crap in a dish, and it just ruins if for me.

3. I can take or leave eggplant, and if left to my own devices, i'll leave it.

4. I love coconut.

t. I love tomatoes, and we grew our own when i was a child. We kept a salt cellar in an old cabinet behind the shed by the garden, and if one was hungry between meals in the summer and fall, one would just get the salt cellar and sit down to eat one or more tomatoes as though it were an apple. Tomato plants are wonderful, and if properly grown, will produce fruit until the first frost kills them. However, i have gotten tired of tomato sauce, and do well without it.

6. I love sardines.

7. You can have my share of the licorice.

8. You can have my share of the stinky cheeses.

9. Mayonnaise and "Miracle Whip" are not at all alike. I'll eat the latter if i can't get the former. It just ain't a great sammich for me if it ain't got no mayonnaise.

10. I like bell peppers, but green bell peppers upset my stomach, so i have to be careful not to eat too much of the green ones. The red, orange and yellow bell peppers don't both me at all. I like 'em.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 08:02 am
All you white chocolate haters have obviously never had good Swiss white chocolate.

Yum.