Why are so many frozen food products neglecting the obvious differences in a convection oven?

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 09:34 am
I have a convection oven. This baby can cook, too. However, this has become a problem. Whenever I am feeling lazy, I like to pop out a box of frozen Stouffer's or the like and cook it up with ease. But too many burnt mac and cheese and lasagna meals have told me that my convection oven cooks faster than the directions. So why aren't these products coming out with convection oven directions now, since they are becoming more and more popular?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 9,952 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:50 am
Try putting an oven thermometer in there.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:55 am
You usually want to set a convection oven at 25 degrees lower, and set the cooking time at 20% less than the recipe/instructions call for.

Here's a convection oven converter: http://www.convection-calculator.com/
ehBeth

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 10:58 am
@boomerang,
I'd never thought of lowering the temp - I regularly reduce the time by 20 - 25%. I'll have to keep that reduced temp idea in mind.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2009 11:03 am
I have a dual
Microwave + convection.

Microwave works wonderfully. Even if I just cooked something at 400 degrees. It cools its self off quickly and cooks evenly.

Try what Boom suggested... cooking a little slower?
0 Replies