A Big Part of Why I No Longer Practice Law

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:05 pm
@Foxfyre,
I definitely hear that. Good on ya for getting out.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:16 pm
@jespah,
Well, I spent much of my landarch life fearful of lawsuits. Never was sued, 25 years, but it's always in the background with some clients. Gets ya to tighten up those contracts forthwith. There was among my fellow practitioners a tendency to avoid taking on doctors and lawyers, for different reasons but similar potential difficulty. I'm still licensed, though not yet in NM (not hard because I have a national board cert) - and one of the key things about my not diving right into setting up a practice though I need income is not wanting to deal with that underlying worry bit any more. Lawsuits can come from funny quarters.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:26 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, errors and omissions insurance is expensive, but so is the toll of the worry, even with the insurance. Specs can get to be "killer", which can make costs skyrocket from bidders.. Killer means a certain intensity of verbiage and page numbers. Serious contracts and specs are good, but length isn't always a clue to value.
0 Replies