A Big Part of Why I No Longer Practice Law

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:06 am
Perfectionism one reason for lawyer depression and Lawyer burnout.

Oh and this doesn't help, either: Laid off lawyer competes with other lawyers for paralegal jobs.

I may complain about what I do now but man! Lawyerin', like pimpin', ain't easy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 4,393 • Replies: 42
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
@jespah,
I read those articles earlier this morning, jes.

Hmm ... pimpin ....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:29 am
I have a friend who is a lawyer, she's going to night school to become a cosmetologist.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 09:30 am
@dyslexia,
I was thinking about learning to do nails so I'd have a trade to fall back on if this law thing doesn't work out.
djjd62

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 10:07 am
@dyslexia,
is the future of the russian space program that secure
dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:13 am
@djjd62,
well, updo's are down for sure.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 11:58 am
There's always employment for someone who knows how to do a good beehive.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 12:39 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

A close friend is looking for a paralegal to add to his office staff. A majority of the candidates are over-qualified. They are going to go with a newly-graduated attorney who "will do anything" to get work in the field so she can start repaying her astronomical school loans.

I asked him if he had it to do over again what he would choose for a career. He thought for a moment and said, "Anything but Law."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2009 01:43 pm
Tico-watch yer mail. I sent the torpedo in the mail Thurs PM.. Its in a pen box with three strips of low tack tape so the postal inspection process wont interefere with the contents.
You should get it by Sat.
0 Replies

Legaladvocate

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 10:01 pm
@jespah,
Lawyers can become too serious and engulf with their work that they forget to have fun.
jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 04:53 am
@Legaladvocate,
Yes. I was a very serious, very depressed 25-year-old, a fact that, well, depresses me two decades later.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 05:24 am
@jespah,
And here I thought it was because you're really a nice person. Most of those lawyer jokes are spot-on, you know. It's rare to find one with a sense of humor and/or any kind of ethical/moral compass.
jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:14 am
@Merry Andrew,
Thank you. I am, well, way too nonadversarial for such an adversarial position. I found the petty fights to be galling/nauseating. Nastiness over little pieces of paper ferchrissakes. Tension you could cut with a chainsaw.

I can still work up some major stress if anyone suggests I go back to it (and people ask, often in job interviews, how nice).
dlowan

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:19 am
@jespah,
It makes ME tense whenever a lawyer rings or writes to me!!!!

You guys are contagious!
sullyfish6

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 07:42 am
What kind of law?

I think divorce and crimal law would be rough, but municipal or real estate law would be fun.

Corporate law would require too much a$$ kissing.

Medical malpractice would be heart-breaking.

Small town lawyering would be less stress, too.

0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
My family wanted me to go to law school believe it or not...they thought I would make a good litigator. Instead I by passed college completely to get in the music biz. No regrets. I am friends with several lawyers and they are all cynics like me. I'm friendly with a couple of judges as well and I'm surprised they can get through a day without slitting their throats.

In a way the music and bar biz is a lot like law enforcement on all levels in that we see people at their worst mostly. the world is full of people who behave well and never cause any trouble...but in certain professions you just don't see people at their best very often.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:51 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:
... Most of those lawyer jokes are spot-on, you know. It's rare to find one with a sense of humor and/or any kind of ethical/moral compass.

Piss off, you old fart!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:15 am
apparently they're touchy as well.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:19 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Thank you. I am, well, way too nonadversarial for such an adversarial position. I found the petty fights to be galling/nauseating. Nastiness over little pieces of paper ferchrissakes. Tension you could cut with a chainsaw.

I can still work up some major stress if anyone suggests I go back to it (and people ask, often in job interviews, how nice).

At one time I debated whether to go into law, but it was tougher road with more limited opportunities for my generation than yours and I opted for journalism instead--it was still a man's field but was beginning to open up for women.

I spent a few years working in the print media and in television. I left the field for good when I was ordered to push a microphone into the face of a grieving mother and ask her thoughts of her daughter who had just been found murdered. This was right after being ordered to restructure a story to be more forceful in criticism of allegations against a local businessman (who was subsequently exhonerated).

Thereafter I used acquired skills in various other fields, but never was tempted to return to a business that required me to be somebody that I was extremely uncomfortable being.

But I can use those acquired skills in many other ways. And I bet you are finding ways to put your legal skills to good use too without being miserable in your profession.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 11:07 am
sully, I did insurance defense, mainly construction claims, trips and falls, snow cases, dog bite cases, product liability.

Yeah, Foxy, I do use what I learned. I tend to be the best communicator in any IT department I'm in.

Of course, that's not necessarily a terribly difficult thing to do ... Wink