BEST PICTURE 2009

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:05 pm
I saw 3 of the Oscar nominated pictures for 2009 , Slumdog, Frost/Nixon, and Milk. Ive gotta say that SLumdog was great and the others just werent up to my expectations. How Bout you?

I didnt see Mickey Rourkes performance so Im reserving best actor and actress , but please, submit these. Remember, thyere your opinion and theres no going postal or calling each other names if we dont agree. K?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,484 • Replies: 8
No top replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:12 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know who was nominated...but The Dark Knight would be my choice.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 12:36 pm
I liked Keith Ledger's portrayal as joker. I loved how he embraced being this insane dude who kept lavering his lips with an almost "Hunchback of Notre Dame" look like the old Charle LAughton character. Outside of that, I wsnt too caught up in the Dark Knoight. (Shoulda been called The DArk NIGHT" . I dont get it why movies MUST be so dark with some of these Superheroes. Its getting to be a cliche.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 01:00 pm
I've only seen Benjamin Button and Frost/Nixon. Both good, not great. Benjamin Button is better than F/N (which, I fear, can be confusing or uninteresting if you did not live the era). I think Slumdog will win, and so will Ledger (who stole "The Dark Knight").
They say Penélope will win for Vicky Cristina Barcelona. Fine movie, but not her best performance, at all.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 02:22 pm
No going postal - shite. I'm not playing, then.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2009 03:15 pm
when you cant even say shite without "hiding it" with an e at the end, I dont think that youre a candidate for going postal. Just my take
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:05 pm
I saw Slumdog Millionaire, Ben Button & Milk. I don't know what the hype was about for Button - it was good but not great; I loved Slumdog but it wasn't "so good it hurt" as was described by some others; and I thought Sean Penn was well-deserving of the Oscar.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 05:05 pm
@farmerman,
The one I want to see - that didn't even get a nomination in the foreign film category, pah!, is Gomorrah. Great review in the NYer, I think by Anthony Lane.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:35 pm
@farmerman,
I loved Slumdog Millionaire - in fact I watched it twice which is a rarity for me. And I wouldn't mind watching it again. I liked everything about it - cinematography, acting, script, etc.

Frost/Nixon was very good, I thought. I really enjoyed it because I liked the characterization of Richard Nixon which came as a surprise to me. I always thought I just wouldn't like Nixon as a person - but the depiction of him in this movie elicited a real liking and interest in his character.

Milk was good. It was an interesting plot - but I didn't enjoy watching Sean Penn in that role and I usually really like Sean Penn as an actor. He was just a little too stereotypically over the top and grating - so I was glad when that movie was over. I remain glad that I watched it however.

So my rating of these movies overall would be:
1) Slumdog Millionaire
2) Frost/Nixon
3) Milk

and that's how I would rate them in terms of actors, directors, scriptwriters and cinemetographers as well.
0 Replies