• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,197 • Replies: 23
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:32 am
@gungasnake,
It probably is real, the guy released an album of harp music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpo_Marx

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:39 am
@gungasnake,
The guy was a musician, why would you doubt it?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:59 am
@ehBeth,
My question also. He was a gifted musician...that was always acknowledged.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:50 am
His brother Chico was equally virtuosic at the piano . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:50 am
Most people are unaware that the Marx brothers were professional musicians before they got into motion pictures . . . Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Karl.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:14 pm
@gungasnake,
It's from A Night in Casablanca. And yes, Harpo did all of his own harp playing.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
I believe that the Harpo excerpt from the movie was a "Millee Vanilee". They probably overdubbed so thy could do it in one take, otherwise it could take several takes and that wasnt the normal routine back then. Harpo was also a decent composer. Werent ther 5 original Marx Brothers?
Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Werent ther 5 original Marx Brothers?

That's right--Groucho, Chico, Harpo, Zeppo and Karl.
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 04:27 pm
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005T7K4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:03 pm
@Setanta,
was Karl the one they called Gummo?
gungasnake

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:45 pm
@joefromchicago,
I asked my father about this one this morning and he agrees. He said all of the Marx brothers were accomplished musicians and that Harpo was easily capable of this one. What I wasn't sure of was whether it was even possible to play something that complicated on a harp.
Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@djjd62,
I'm glad somebody picked up on that tortured attempt at humor . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:10 pm
@farmerman,
Yeah . . . he and Zeppo were supposed to be the love interests, but Karl grew that damned beard, and was replaced by Zeppo, and then the three wise guys realized they didn't need a romantic lead in barn burners like Duck Soup and A Night at the Opera . . .

(Geeze, FM, didn't you get the "Karl" gag yet ? ! ? ! ?)
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:40 am
@Setanta,
Nope , went right over my head because , in my family, on my one Polak grammas side, the family name was MARKS and I had an Uncle named KAROL. SO the name of Karl Marx wasnt strange .NOW, I dont know if weve got any Mordechais in our family (I think that KArl's father changed his name when he "converted" also) but we have evidence that , on the side of my family that was in the Tsars Pogroms, several had changed their religion ferom Jew to Russian Orthodox. Establishing the fact that Jews can be very accomodating to new ideas in religion

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 05:54 am
There was, of course, a Gummo. They did try to use Zeppo as a romantic interest in their films up to a certain point, but i don't think it was really appropriate, and i suspect it was a dictate of the studios. I believe that from A Day at the Races onward, it was just the three oldest boys.
farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 06:02 am
@Setanta,
yes but what was gummos real name?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 08:14 am
Milton . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 08:16 am
Here ya go . . . Marx Brothers-dot-org.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 09:04 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

I asked my father about this one this morning and he agrees. He said all of the Marx brothers were accomplished musicians and that Harpo was easily capable of this one. What I wasn't sure of was whether it was even possible to play something that complicated on a harp.

It shouldn't be any more complicated to play that on a harp than it would be to play it on the guitar.