What's the first movie you ever remember seeing?

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 07:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I might be interested in Dreyfuss now. We all see from all these different angles.
(Or not, will report).
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:01 am
The Terminator. It was released in India in 1986. I was 5 then.

I was scared of the metal skull looking creature. When my elder cousine told me it was a robot I lost all the interest in them during my childhood.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 10:37 am
I have blocked out a lot of detail from my childhood, and though I'm sure I must have gone to movies when younger, the earliest I remember going to the movies was as a gradeschooler going to Saturday afternoon matinees with friends or by myself (small town America in the 50's)--Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Lash Larue. No idea which was the first of these though.

It was usually a double feature western--some popular star in the main feature coupled with movie with a more obscure star that we merely tolerated in order to enjoy our hero. Also there was a short subject news cast of national world events, a great cartoon--they don't make them like that any more--and a short continuing series--Superman, Rocketman--these ran for like 20 minutes leaving you with a cliff hanger--no way the hero could escape the calamity but always did--so that you had to return the following Saturday to find out what happened.

All that for a dime - then 12 cents - and finally the ultimate insult when we reached age 12 and had to pay a whole quarter. A box of great popcorn was a nickle as were the cokes.

I don't remember earlier movies but I do remember seeing images of planes falling from the sky during war time so I am assuming that I was taken to movies when very young. It was a terrifying image to me and I remember vivid dreams of airplanes crashing down on me as well as morbid fear whenever a real plane flew overhead fearing that it might fall. Those memories have made me extra sensitive to how children in actual war zones must be constantly terrified.
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:11 pm
The Jerk (Steve Marten)
K
O
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Those memories have made me extra sensitive to how children in actual war zones must be constantly terrified.

That haunts me as well, just imagining how frightened the children must be.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:56 pm
The first movie I ever saw in the theater was The Little Mermaid. Definitely less traumatic than Bambi Smile
rosborne979

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2009 09:33 am
@happytaffy,
How old were you when you saw it?
0 Replies