What's the first movie you ever remember seeing?

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:20 pm
@Vietnamnurse,
Bells of St. Mary's - a 1945 film - I was three or four.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 01:51 pm
living in saudi arabia we had no theatres but Aramco (the oil company) would set up a screen on the beach with a projector and we would bring blankets and lie on the beach sand watching movies, the first I remember was "Them" starring James Whitmore and James Arness (later star of Gunsmoke). It was a "atomic" scare movied about ants becoming giants following atomic bomb tests in New Mexico.
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 01:56 pm
Krakatoa East of Java.

Funny, I went to see 2001 a space oddessy too, but I could have sworn is was after Krakatoa. But 2001 came out the year before.

So, must have been 2001, even though I don't remember it that way.
mac11

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:45 pm
I think we saw a lot of movies when I was too young to remember. The first movie I remember is Mary Poppins - I was five.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 03:07 pm
@dyslexia,
I loved those scary fifties movies as a kid!!

They were screened late on Friday nights on TV, and my kind father used to wait up with me so I wouldn't be scared to death.

Probably highly unsuitable for a little kid.

I loved THEM.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 04:22 pm
http://www.feoamante.com/Movies/G/GorgoMP.jpg

Quote:
A salvage vessle is nearly sunk off the Irish coast by an undersea earthquake. A few nights later, a walking sea monster tangles with the fishing boats and enters the town. The salvage vessel captures Gorgo and takes it to London for display. Gorgo's mother, who is upset and significantly larger follows his trail to London leaving a wake of destruction in her path.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:38 pm
@rosborne979,
I doubt it was the first, but I can remember seeing Spartacus as a kid in an outdoor theatre. No, not a drive-in, but literally an outdoor theatre with seats set up.

Also, Lawrence of Arabia.

I can also remember seeing Psycho, but that was in a regular theatre. This was when it was first released in 1960.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:47 pm
In a theatre it was a re-release of Snow White. I don't remember how old I was. I know I saw movies on TV before that. I remember watching Abbott & Costello with my older brother and at least one Marx Brothers' movie with my grandfather. I remember not understanding what my grandfather was laughing about.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 05:59 pm
The Last of the Mohicans.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:04 pm
The first one I remember very well....plot/actors/theme music....was "Jaws", which was released in the summer of 75'...which would have made me just shy of 5yrs old. I had seen many films before that, but at this point in my life I don't remember if I am recalling from later viewings, or the first time I actually saw a film.

Every Friday my mother and I would go to the movies, and then afterwards we would eat a late supper in a resturant called, Papa D's. We always ate in a booth, each on a side, but that night we both sat on the same side...she was a bit rattled, I wasn't, because I had missed the worst/best scene.

The scene of course is near the end when the shark climbs up on the back of the boat and Quint...Robert Shaw....begins to slide down toward and then into the sharks mouth. This scared the **** out of my mom, who had dragged me into her lap a few seconds before, she then proceeded to cover my eyes while screaming, so I basically missed that whole part. In her defense, she was still a fairly young woman, and I don't think she had ever seen anything that realistic at that point....I mean it was a scary scene, still is....I just watched the film again about two weeks ago, and I if you can watch that scene without drawing your feet up a bit closer to your body....you are one tough sob.

Several years later...seems like ABC played it as a movie of the week or something, but I'm pretty sure they did a bit of editing, and weakened the scene down quite a bit...it was really until the early 90's, when I rented it one night that I finally got to see the full scene as Mr Spielberg intended.

Compared to the "Saw" films...which I refuse to watch....I'm sure it would be considered very tame/lame by todays standards....and my mother, who now owns a video store, and has seen bascially every movie made since the mid 80's would probably deny that any movie could possibly scare her so bad.
Shapeless

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 08:19 pm
Mine was "My Fair Lady." It is a very hazy memory--pretty much all I remember is Audrey Hepburn's purple outfit at the beginning, and the sound of her crying when the maids are trying to get her to take a bath.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 09:37 pm
I remember "Jack the Giant Killer" at the Saturday matinee. I was about six or seven, with my older brothers, the place was loaded with kids, lots of school and neighborhood friends and it was like a big party.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:05 pm
@eoe,
eoe, I remember Song of the South slightly. Haven't read about it lately, and don't remember much of anything about it as a kid (5? 6?).. I think I saw that in LA, with my cousins and their parents. I figure it's offensive, but I haven't reseen it to verify.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:08 pm
@chai2,
Krakatoa, I saw that on a date. Eh. That was the very nice person that asked me to marry him every new years for a few years. I still regard him well, but we were wrong together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:14 pm
@2PacksAday,
I remember Jaws in the theater - and Shaw. And whatshisname.
2PacksAday

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:57 am
@ossobuco,
Roy or Dreyfuss...

Another one I remember....I think from the same year was called "Escape to Witch Mountain"....a few days ago I saw that they were remaking it, I have no plans to watch it.

It's odd how some things stick in your mind, but in the trailer for that movie, one of the actors, an older man, says...."Those two kids are witches" I often hear that {in my head of course} when in a situation similar to the film....ie...a few years ago some kids smashed up a few things down at our city park, the family is...well, one of "those" kinds of families...and when I was telling my sister about what happened I repeated the line...she got a good laugh out of it.

It wasn't a blockbuster, and was basically a kids film, so I don't know how many of you have seen it....but the little girl in the film had a distinct raspy voice, and for a long time I thought she could have been Demi Moore {grown up}...this was in the days before there was any easy way to look these things up.
msolga

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 01:13 am
It was some "biblical" drama. I can't recall the name of it now, I was very young at the time. But I do recall, vividly, hiding under my seat (in utter terror) during a stoning sequence. Terrifying! Shocked
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:15 pm
Star Wars. I was 3 or 4 don't remember. I do remember the lightsabers and the Death Star exploding at the end.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:49 pm
@2PacksAday,
Roy Scheider, that's it. Dreyfuss, I was aware of him but not that interested. Not to knock him.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 06:56 pm
@Baldimo,
I saw StarWars at the front of the Century 21 theater (century city, big deal at the time) sets of seats, with a sort of wannabe director friend of ours in the near front row since he insisted - re catching the opening.
Gaaaaah. I'm a small drama/comedy person with occasional forays into cinemascope. I remember thinking it was dumb and where could we get some chinese food without going all the way to santa monica.
0 Replies