Gasoline Octane Ratings in Different Parts of the U.S.

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 10:55 am
Recently, I went on a trip out west. Where I live in the east, premium gasoline is always 93 octane. Out west, I noticed that it is 90 or 91 octane. Does anyone know the reason for this discrepancy? The other gasoline octanes for the regular and middle grade gasolines were the same as in the east, 87 & 89 octane.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,083 • Replies: 6
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:01 pm
Don't know about east vs west; but at higher altitudes, the thin air causes slower burning and the lower octane will speed up the burning. I picked
up this info a long time ago, but I think I have it right.

edit:The word "elevation" would have been preferable to "altitude".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:08 pm
flyboy804 - Hmmm. You may be on to something. I WAS in an area of high altitude, when I noticed the difference.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:28 pm
I think that I have found the answer:

Link to Octane Article

The only thing that confuses me is the part where it says that in dry climates, you need MORE octane, but less in high altitudes. I was in an area of high altitude, and very low humidity. (Grand Canyon, and Southern Utah)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
The Federal Trade Commision says on it's website:
Quote:
Most gas stations offer three octane grades: regular (usually 87 octane), mid-grade (usually 89 octane) and premium (usually 92 or 93).
The Low-Down on High Octane Gasoline

If you, Phoenix, had been elsewhere in the world than in the USA (and Canada, I think), you even would be more surprised:
only in the US they use the CLC method, while elsewhere RON-octane are used. [e.g. 91 RON octane is equivalent to 87 CLC octane.]
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:31 pm
A little plus and a little minus; and I guess the minus wins out.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 03:33 pm
Without checking a single link, here's my understanding. Higher octane ratings are need to curb detonation in the engine. Higher air pressure yields higher combustion chamber pressure which leads to detonation, thus the higher altitudes don't require the same octane ratings as sea level.
0 Replies