What is the most plausible alien movie?

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 02:21 pm
@rosborne979,
Startide Rising was great--i remember it better than Sundiver. There was a sequel to Startide, too, The Uplift War, all of them about the "Uplift Universe." (I think a total of six novels were projected--but i only read the first three.) Someone else (Frank Herbert? i disremember) wrote a couple of novels about sentient stars, too. Not high quality literature, though--more in the "action/adventure" genre.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 02:25 pm
@Setanta,
I read The Uplift War also, but things went downhill after Startide Rising, so I stopped after that.

Brin also wrote The Postman which I also enjoyed, but almost entirely for the few pages devoted to the conversations with the first AI machine.
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 03:25 pm
@rosborne979,
I enjoyed The Postman as one of the more plausible post-apocalyptic stories i'd read. Kevin Costner made an appallingly bad movie from it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 03:26 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Kevin Costner made an appallingly bad movie

say it isn't so
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 03:30 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I enjoyed The Postman as one of the more plausible post-apocalyptic stories i'd read. Kevin Costner made an appallingly bad movie from it.

Yeh, the movie sucked. But the things that made the book good were far too subtle to get on film, especially for a big-budget hollywood Costner film, so they never really had a chance.

0 Replies

Starchild

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 11:14 pm
@rosborne979,
My point here was that some alien race has allready built these machines with inteligence but than destroyed by their own creation. After that thet machines set to stars to expand. Typical sci-fi scenario bot plausible one. Interesthing here is that we are all machines but just biological ones.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:06 am
Jodie Foster starrer "Contact"
Muarck

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:57 pm
Most plausible current-times humans-get-attacked-by-aliens-and-survive movie is obviously hands down War of the Worlds, I can't see that being even debatable.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:01 pm
@tycoon,
tycoon wrote:

I watched a campy movie the other day where James Arness played a vegetative alien bent on foiling earthman progress at a North Pole scientific outpost. I thought this was very plausible, as he was covered in green cabbage-like foliage. He had already developed his Matt Dillon swagger.

that campy movie was The Thing, John Carpenter remade it in the 80's and i understand that another remake is in the works, or at least being pondered

spendius

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:05 pm
@djjd62,
Eraserhead.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 05:12 pm
The least plausible, but my favorite is Vonnegut's Tralfamadorians...how I'd love to pass my days with Montana Wildhack in the Tralf. zoo
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:45 pm
Ok, I have a follow-up question: What is the most plausible alien depicted in film?

I nominate: The Blob

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:47 pm
@rosborne979,
I think The Day of the Triffids is a slightly more possible occurrence then The Blob.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:48 pm
@vinsan,
vinsan wrote:

Jodie Foster starrer "Contact"

I so dearly love that movie. You may have a point in nominating it for the most plausible alien/human contact depicted on film.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I think The Day of the Triffids is a slightly more possible occurrence then The Blob.

Why?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 07:54 pm
@rosborne979,
That spores (even on Earth) can survive great environmental extremes. That they could one day rain down from jetsam and flotsam of a flyby comet. Some spores can hibernate for centuries then reactivate when the conditions are right.

And besides I never was convinced that The Blob was actually a threat considering how bloody slow it was.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 08:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok. But the Blob started out as a little Bloblet in that meteor. Maybe a little bit of Blob goo clinging to a wandering asteroid is all it takes.

Actually, my main nitpick with my own selection of The Blob has to do with how such a creature (lacking technology) gets spread around the Universe enough to find it's way randomly to Earth.

Unless such organisms were to form regularly on space debris, it's unlikely they would find their way to Earth.

0 Replies

ericwr114

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 12:35 am
I can't agree with all of your guys say here ,but make some sense .
rosborne979

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 06:55 am
@ericwr114,
ericwr114 wrote:

I can't agree with all of your guys say here ,but make some sense .

You don't have to agree. This is a "what's your opinion" thread. There are no right/wrong answers. There are only entertaining answers and boring answers, and even that is subjective.
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 02:14 pm
Since we have nothing to gauge what alien life may be like it's difficult to say, I'd go for Alien or The Thing.

I enjoyed them both at least