Where was this painting done??

evilc

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:10 pm
I have a large print of a Vernon Ward painting entitled "The Armed Knight" It is a rugged coastal scene, probably in England. Vernon Ward (1900-1985) was a prolific artist more famous for the birds that he painted.
It may be Cornwall but I am not sure.
Pity I can't upload a photo.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 4,730 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:00 am
@evilc,
Hey, evilc, I should help you re posting a photo.

First, is it from online, or is it one of your own? I can somewhat walk you through the process, if I know which source. (Oh, and welcome to a2k.)
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 02:21 am
@evilc,
There is a bit of a description on this site of it:

http://content.thisis.co.uk/centres/devon/gsww/routes/august24a.html

Scroll down to the section entitled "SENNEN COVE TO PORTHCURNO" where it says:

Quote:
Annual Guide Section 32 (6.6 miles " 10.6 km) Grading: Moderate

The route ascends concrete steps at the far end of the village. It turns right then climbs towards a battlemented structure, a granite look-out post. From the lookout there are many well-worn paths to Land's End - needless to say, the best is the most seaward - just keep heading on towards the hotel block at Land's End. As you progress down from the lookout try to keep some attention on Land's End itself. At one point along the path the 50 yard (45 m) long cave through Dr Syntax's Head comes into view.

Once that headland has been reached you are at Land's End and probably sharing it with many others who have come by car to enjoy the view and visit the First and Last House gift shop " they don’t know what they are missing!

The best thing about Land's End is undoubtedly its seascape. On a really clear day it is possible to see the Isles of Scilly about 25 miles (37.5 km) away, and usually there are views of the lighthouses on Wolf Rock and the Longships. There are numerous offshore rocks with names ranging from Kettle’s Bottom to the more sinister Shark's Fin.
Even in comparatively calm weather the sea off Land's End is in a state of turmoil and in stormy weather the sight is more than dramatic. The Longships Lighthouse was built in 1873, is 50 feet (15 m) high on a rock base 60 feet (17 m) tall, yet in a gale it can look most insecure.

Land's End is firmly fixed in our minds as the opposite end of our Isle to John o'Groats some 873 miles (1309 km) away: the fact that Dunnet Head on the mainland of
Scotland is actually further north makes no difference. Because of this fixed idea of opposites, all sorts of motor trials, bicycle runs and even pedestrian events have been routed between the two.

The Coast Path passes on to Dr Johnson's Head where all facilities are available. The route passes in front of the hotel complex. Here you will encounter even more crowds enjoying the views and entertainment provided.

There are two interesting rock formations to seaward. First there is the chunky outline of the Armed Knight, and secondly the arched Enys Dodnan. These, usually together with the Longships as a background, have often been photographed and also appear in a picture painted by the artist Vernon Ward.

There is a lot more to the description at the site if you wish to click on the link above.
Francis

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:16 am
@Butrflynet,
Enys Dodnan and the Armed Knight, Land's end peninsula, Cornwall:

http://www.clear-mind-photos.com/scenic_-_lands_end_peninsula/enys_dodnan_and_armed_knight_071005_01.jpg
solipsister

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:20 am
@evilc,
perchance you could pirate a copy
0 Replies

evilc

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:27 am
@ossobuco,
Hi, I may have the answer from Butflynet, anyway I have taken a photo of the painting with my digital camera and saved to hard drive. yes can you help with an upload of the picture.
thanks
Evilc
0 Replies

evilc

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:31 am
@Butrflynet,
Hi Butrflynet,
Thanks heaps, am sure that the painting is of "The Armed Knight" a rocky outcrop at Lands End England.
Will try and upload a photo.

Thanks
Evilc
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 02:48 am
@Francis,
Seems that the previous picture has copywrite attached.

Here's a new one:

http://users.sisna.com/archman/EnysDodnan.jpg
evilc

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 12:48 am
@Francis,
Francis,
Thanks heaps, looks very much like the painting I have.
Am still trying to upload a photo, need some help with this.

Evilc
Francis

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2009 03:19 am
@evilc,
Well, in order to post your picture, you need to have it hosted on an internet site.

I just tried with www.photobucket.com and it works fine.

First, go there and join, it just a few steps.

Next follow the instructions to upload your picture to your album there.

Copy the link they provide for: Img code

Post the link here.

It should show like this :

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/xxxx/xxxx/xxx.jpg

But with [img] before and [/img]after

Just try..

evilc

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:20 am
@Francis,
Thanks,
I have uploaded the photo to photobucket and now have an album.
Not sure how to get it across to Able2know. Anyway, I'm convinced that you have correctly identified the location of the painting.

thanks for your help
Evilc
evilc

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 01:55 am
@evilc,
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu281/photoclips_2009/TheArmedKnight.jpg
Francis, not sure if this worked, however try the link and see what happens.
Evilc
1nspectagadget

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 12:00 pm
@evilc,
It's a view from Lands End. [email protected]
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 10 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
@evilc,
You succeeded, evilc!

It works well!
0 Replies