what are your favorite dogs? What dogs do you want?

Sglass

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:03 pm
I like hotdogs with mustard.
TTH

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 01:07 pm
@Sglass,
Laughing

...don't forget the gentle giant aka Irish Wolfhound
0 Replies

JoeKidd

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:44 pm
Indoors, Schipperke. http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c213/joekidd58/untitled.jpg
Outdoors, Shepherd.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 09:50 pm
@JoeKidd,
Awwww...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 10:29 pm
@JoeKidd,
Schipperkes are wonderful dogs. If I ever go for a pure-bred it'd likely be a Schipperke or a Buhund. Love those European Spitzes.

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 12:19 am
@ehBeth,
I only saw one schipperke once, decades ago, from afar in a park, but I thought the dog was terrific. And that photo is a treat.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:20 pm
I've had Chow Chows for about 15 years now. Their personalty is more like that of a cat; self sufficient and independent.

If you want an outdoor dog, the colder it gets the more they like it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:46 pm
@OGIONIK,
I got imprinted on German Shepherds as a child. And by "imprinted", I mean really, really imprinted. I have known dachshunds, pugs, setters, and golden retrievers. I even liked them. A lot. But they're just not dogs. Not real ones, anyway. I can't help it, I am irrepairably hardwired to measure the realness of a dog by its likeness to German Shepherds -- or better yet, with wolves.

It's beyond all rational thinking. I'm a racist when it comes to dogs. So embarrassing. Sorry.
Chumly

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 04:18 pm
@Thomas,
My Dad had a German Shepard, he used to beat it with a rolled up newspaper when it presumably "misbehaved". Needless to say it became aggressive and unpredictable, it bit the mailman, it killed a neighbor's dog and it bit me on the head (needing 32 stitches) nearly ending my life!

Nope, I'm not making any of this up..............some people should simply not own dogs!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:01 pm
I must admit a bias toward Eskies, because I own one Smile This is Dakota:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5262/dakotawindowmp2.jpg
By rosborne979
ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:17 pm
@rosborne979,
What a darling..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:20 pm
@rosborne979,
Eskies are pretty wonderful, aren't they.

I was oohing and aahing at the Best in Breed at Westminster this week. Lovely dog. <sigh>
rosborne979

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 07:47 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Eskies are pretty wonderful, aren't they.

They are amazing dogs. Very human-like in their emotional behavior.

She's very athletic and agile, but not aggressive. She will bark at any strangers, but will not go near them (which is good because nobody could ever steal her).

She's a nice size too, about 30lbs. So I can take her with me and she's comfortable in the car without taking up too much space.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:22 am
@kuvasz,
Hi Kuvie! I still want a Kuvasz someday...loved the one I saw at the Westminster dog show the other night. They mentioned that it takes a firm hand...and knowledgeable owner. I think I am that...my dogs all know I am "Alpha"! I show Border Terriers and have two of them. I have a young female Irish Wolfhound who is a wild child and a retired racing greyhound. My husband and I take our dogs and their care very seriously. They do respect us and they have "jobs" and are a happy bunch.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:09 pm
My favorite dogs are a Bichon Fries or a Bichon Havanese.

http://www.sanshinbichonfrise-havanese.com/images/graphics/twodogs.jpg
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
my whining bitching and moaning about red skinned pitbulls not being accepted in major kennel clubs is, very unwarranted.

this feb 21-22 an "american dog breed association" show in las vegas. they accept any color of pitbull.

this association is founded mainly for pitbulls. luck or destiny?

i was like O_o

YAY!!! YAYayyYAYAYAY!

too bad mine doesnt really fit the conformation rules, her back legs are way longer then they should be.

oh well.
0 Replies

JoeKidd

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2009 01:33 pm
@OGIONIK,
Sorry! I did not realize they changed the way you received notices by e-mail. It use to be when you posted on a topic it was automatic I believe. I would love to see more pictures of your favorite dogs. Better yet the ones you have now or the the ones that were really special in your lives and passed on.
0 Replies

Ariadne

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2009 04:15 pm
@OGIONIK,
Wonderful photos and thread, thank you. I love big dogs.

Just a humble correction: The molossus or molossers (mastiff) are a Greek breed, not a Roman one. Although the original molossus is considered to be extinct, the closest known breed near the original, is the Hellenic Molossus Dog Mastiff in Greece. The first known molossus breed took their name from the Mollosos dynasty in Epirus province in Greece. Alexander the Great's mother, Olympias, was a princess of the mollosian dynasty.
0 Replies