looking to replace an old Technetic 1000 water softener

John-NJ

Reply Sun 8 Feb, 2009 11:29 am
Was sold on this years ago (mid 1990s) and it is still running but the local water company is no longer "officially certified" to work on it. I understand this unit had some special technology/patents at the time (proportional brining?). I found R & M manufacturing in Utah that still manufacters what appears to be an upgraded version but there at no distributors out here in NJ.

Is the Avantapure equivalent in that it offers all the same technology as the old Technetic 1000 and more?

I have city water so beyond hardness the only other issue is an occasional chlorine smell.

I like other water conditioners like Kinetico but the cost is well outside my budget. After discussing conditioners with many local companies that offer this service, it seems the prevailing wisdom is to buy a no-name/nondescript unit that has readily available parts (Fleck/Autotrol,etc.) which any company can get and work on and which is fairly cheap (and which will have parts that are available many years to come).

I have not been impressed by the softeners at Home Depot/Lowes/or Sears.
I tend to only look at conditioners that local established companies (in business in the area for > 10 years) sell and service. I have seen a few Eco Water and GE units and them some non-descript rental units.

Can anyone provide some insight into Technetic 1000 vs Avantapure?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 8,042 • Replies: 2
No top replies

mrk

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 03:03 pm
@John-NJ,
John,
Did you ever get an answer? I'm being told my Technetic 1000 is broken and no longer made (which doesn't seem correct- just proprietary parts & limited dealers). Andrew Cross ([email protected]) says he has many of the parts or if a major problem, the complete valve head can be unscrewed and replaced w/"standard" Autotrol type valve. What is/was your solution? Thanx.

[email protected]
0 Replies

nick PETRI

Reply Wed 30 Jun, 2010 05:30 am
@John-NJ,
Hi John,
We have a running T-1000 unit from 1995 and seems to be working OK, in my mind. The local co came by and suggested that the ion exchange was less efficient now and that we should get the new Avantapure system, another $2k. 50% less salt via a 'counter current regeneration process???

Supposedly too that the proportional brining is moreefficient. The T-1000 also had proportional brining.

I am not convinced we have a problem. Do you think there is technology advancement with controls that might apply or be worth considering?

Thanks for your help

Nick P- MA

0 Replies