Flight 1549 praise is being over done.

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 07:25 pm
Lame thread . . . i regret having read it . . .
Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:07 pm
@Setanta,
You actually read all this? You must have far too much time on your hands. I hope you had some air popcorn to nibble on during your read.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You done a ditching how about some detials as I for one would be interested and I am sure others would be also.

What type plane and was it an ocean ditching?

A T-2 trainer (straight wing jet) on a balmy autumn day in Pensacola Bay Florida. Low altitude flameout with an early ejection seat that didn't provide a zero -zero survival capability. I had only my own ass to worry about.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:48 am
@georgeob1,
Interesting however in such a situtation was you not dealing with the stituation instead of worrying about such things as if you only have your own ass on the line?

The few times that my life was on the line I went into computer mode and did not have the time to deal with my emotions until after the sitution was in the past.

The only emotions I can remember feeling was once when it look like I was about to loss control of my craft that crashing in front of a 747 pilot was not the
way I
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:52 am
@georgeob1,
Interesting however in such a situtation was you not dealing with the stituation instead of worrying about such things as if you only have your own ass on the line?

The few times that my life was on the line I went into computer mode and did not have the time to deal with my emotions until after the sitution was in the past.

The only emotions I can remember feeling was once when it look like I was about to loss control of my craft that crashing in front of a 747 pilot was not the way I would wish to end my flying career.

Somehow from my own background I do not think that the command pilot was wasting time thinking about the passengers in the back but in dealing with ditching the plane.

Now afterward the emotions do indeed kick in.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:19 am
@Intrepid,
I skipped over the parts where Bill obsesses again and again over the same "points," and the replies which were reprises of earlier replies.

People hear about an airliner going down, and what they expect to hear is that so many hundreds of people died, everybody on board died, so many people on the ground died --so naturally, when they hear about an airliner going down and nobody dies, it's going to be a big deal.

Anybody here recall the last time something this dramatic happened with no fatalities? But Bill wants to whine about it--it's no skin off his nose . . . he should get himself a hobby.
McTag

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
I've not read the whole thread, only the first and last pages.

It seems to me the pilot was praised both for a textbook decision/manoeuvre in the circumstances, and also for his coolness and apparent determination to check the downed aircraft for any passenger problems before he himself abandoned ship.

Why, he might have been British. Smile

Smart, to crashland near the ferry port.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:43 am
@Setanta,
Whining and looking at the situtaion with logic is somehow the same in your mind?

Not being of the opinion that given the sitituation any of a number of flight crews could have achieved the same results is somehow being disrepectful to the crew that did in fact land the plane in the Hudson?

Being annoy that the news channels could not get over the fact that a flight crew used skill and training to save the day and did not give into their emotions and let the plane crash and therefore implying that such a level of performed is not to be expected from others crews in time of need.

He is a highly skill flyer that when the time came used his skills and training to save a plane full of passengers and for that he should get his 15 minutes of frame but we had gone way over the 15 minutes here.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 08:46 am
@McTag,
apparent determination to check the downed aircraft for any passenger problems before he himself abandoned ship.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you of the opinion that most command pilots would not check on the safety of his or her passengers under the same set of conditions?

That is my problem I have a high regard for all flight crews and their abilities not just one flight crew.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 09:27 am
@BillRM,
Yes, it's whining to complain about the praise this crew has received, no matter what spin you try to put on the situation with your "logic." At no time did i state or imply that other crews could not have accomplished the same. At no time did i state or imply that that were disrespectful of the crew. I see no evidence that news channels have implied that this level of performance is not to be expected from other crews--so i have no problem with you being "annoy" by that.

All i detect is some kind of twisted sour grapes on your part. It seems that you begrudge this crew the praise they deserve. Why is that Bill? Did you just want to let us know that you're some kind of hot shot pilot yourself? Do you resent that this crew has gotten praise and attention you personally will never get?

This thread is lame.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 12:03 pm
@Setanta,
He does -waay back he was bragging about how he accomplished some awesome feat saving his ass in some small aircraft.

It appears he must be jealous of the praise this pilot has gotten because no one recognized his daring feat.
dagmaraka

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 01:15 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Whining and looking at the situtaion with logic is somehow the same in your mind?

They are certainly not the same. You are whining.
BillRM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:18 pm
@dagmaraka,
I am whining and you and others here seem to have a very unheatlth need for heroes that is understandable for children but unseemly for adults.

Bet if the command pilot had been a woman instead of a nice older father figure for example this would not had occur.

Dafmaraka what is so lacking in your life that you have this strong need for a father figure?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:25 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
I am whining

word
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:32 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

I am whining and you and others here seem to have a very unheatlth need for heroes that is understandable for children but unseemly for adults.

Bet if the command pilot had been a woman instead of a nice older father figure for example this would not had occur.

Dafmaraka what is so lacking in your life that you have this strong need for a father figure?

What is lacking in your life that you act like a spoiled child who can't get their way. Face it, bucko, you are in a world by yourself and you might want to consider the fact that there is a reason that most people disagree with you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:34 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

He does -waay back he was bragging about how he accomplished some awesome feat saving his ass in some small aircraft.

It appears he must be jealous of the praise this pilot has gotten because no one recognized his daring feat.

I guess you could call an ultralight an aircraft. Some might call it a toy. Wink
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:43 pm
It's odd though, the vociferousness of the "Sully is a hero" crowd.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 05:58 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

It's odd though, the vociferousness of the "Sully is a hero" crowd.

Only odd to trolls like you. Otherwise, normal.
JTT

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:03 pm
@Intrepid,
Cute, Intrepid, the old troll routine. That's childish crap that's better left to a tico than someone as thoughtful in their responses as you.

If Sully himself were asked, "Are you a hero?", what do you think he would say?

Didn't he actually say, "I knew I could do it"?

Intrepid

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 06:07 pm
@JTT,
Whether he knew he could do it or not has no bearing on whether he is a hero. The vast majority deems him a hero so why do some want to take that away.

BTW....Your use of the words childish and crap are much overused in these threads.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:14:47