I'm ready to give up on school.

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 09:37 am
Life would be a dream if I were simply as bloated and vain as genoves suggests!

Thanks soz and Swimpy. Withdrawing him from school is still very much on the table. Mo is aware that we are considering several options but no, I don't spit and cuss about school when he's around.
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 10:44 am
@boomerang,
The letter was a smart move, boomer and I hope Mo's teacher will respond promptly.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:11 pm
@Swimpy,
Quote:
I hope that she takes your comments seriously

I'd expect that she would be taking the letter very seriously indeed, particularly boomerang's response to her "medication prescription". I'd suspect she now regrets having made those comments at all. There could be serious repercussions for her for having done so, especially since boomerang's concerns (now formerly registered by letter) must now be addressed "officially" by the school. I'd suspect that this, along with considering boomerang's suggestions, could be the reason for the delayed response.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:48 pm
I really don't want to get her in trouble. I didn't rant and rave and didn't let on that I knew it was against the law. I let her know I was really ticked off that the topic had been introduced and reminded her that she had a comprehensive evaluation at her disposal.

I don't want to cause her any grief but I want them all on notice that they'd better pay attention.
msolga

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2009 04:51 pm
@boomerang,
No, no, no, boomer! I wasn't suggesting you were at all! You've been very reasonable.

I was just trying to give you some insight into what might be going on at "the other end."
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 02:20 am
@genoves,
I see nothing in my post which suggests that anyone is "bloated or vain"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 07:32 am
Quote:
Fact 1-- In any class there is a median. Half of the children score above the median and half score below it( by definition). Some parents will not accept this fact, especially if their child usually falls below the median.

I thought you were suggesting that the reason I'm angry with the school is because Mo falls below the median.

I heard back from Ms. Teacher and she is working to get a meeting scheduled.

I've been tweaking Mo's schedule and it seems to be making a difference. We've been playing a solid 15-20 minutes of basketball every morning before school, timing it so that we can play until the early bell and make it to class by the tardy bell. This helps wear him out a bit and keeps him away from his little droogs that tend to get him wound up right before class starts.

While reading around yesterday I came across this:

Quote:

50 Conditions That Mimic ADHD

(!) Hypoglycemia (Low Blood sugar) Low blood sugar can stem from thyroid disorders, liver or pancreatic problems, or adrenal gland abnormalities, or even an insufficient diet. Hypoglycemia can display the same ADHD like sypmtoms.

(!) Allergies: 15 to 20 percent of the world has some type of allergy. A person can be allergic to nearly anything so check for all forms. Food is one of the primary causes of allergic reactions. Just like the Car and human analogy stated above. If a child eats food they are allergic to, the body will not run properly and that may affect behavior. Everyone has different sensitivities to allergens so just because you aren't affected does not mean your child won't be also. (Some examples, Allergic reactions to food dye, milk, chocolate, and grains, ect)

(!) Learning disabilities: If the primary place of behavior problems is at school, learning disabilities may be the cause of ill behavior. One of the main things that affect a child's self-esteem is how well they do in school. If a child has an undiagnosed learning disorder that makes school much harder and sometimes impossible. Children with undiagnosed learning disabilities are labeled as lazy, stupid, and many other downgrading opinions that affect self-esteem. And many times when a child's self-esteem is at jeopardy they try to make up for it in other sometimes-nonproductive ways such as acting out, bullying, or becoming the class clown.

(!) Hyper or hypothyroidism: An imbalance in metabolism that occurs from an overproduction or underproduction of thyroid hormones. This imbalance may cause a variety of behaviors and may affect all body functions.

(!) Hearing and vision problems: If a child can't see or hear properly, school and daily things in life are nearly impossible and it may cause ADHD like symptoms especially in educational settings.

(!) Mild to high lead levels, even in the absence of clinical lead poisoning: research shows that children with even mildly elevated lead levels suffer from reduced IQs, attention deficits, and poor school performance. Lead is the leading culprit in toxin-caused hyperactivity..

Strangely enough, I took Mo to the doctor for allergy problems last spring. Our regular doctor was out and the substitue doctor said "Oh, it isn't allergies, it's ADD." after spending a total of 15 minutes with us.

It seems kind of nuts that in my circa 1920 neighborhood that a teacher wouldn't say "Have you had his lead levels tested?" before they start yammering about ADD. I intend to have Mo's tested straight away.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:10 am
Hey Boomer,

I just watched this on the internet and thought of you and Mo. Would something like this help capture Mo's interest in reading?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#29197427
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 12:20 am
@Butrflynet,
Here's the Today Show interview between the boy and the soldier that was mentioned in the earlier news clip. It has a lot more details.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/#29158145

http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:40 am
aaawww, what a heart warming story that was , buttrflynt. Perfect for
Valentine's Day.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 10:46 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
It seems kind of nuts that in my circa 1920 neighborhood that a teacher wouldn't say "Have you had his lead levels tested?" before they start yammering about ADD. I intend to have Mo's tested straight away.

was your previous home older as well?
boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:00 am
That IS a great story. Thanks so much Butrflynet!

My brother is a soldier and Mo writes him letters or draws him pictures at least once a week. His group will be leaving for Iraq in about a month. He might personally know of a soldier or two wh0 would appreciate some mail. I'll ask him.

Great idea!

Mo loved "The Red Badge of Courage" and my brother has recommended several other soldier stories he thinks Mo would like.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:03 am
@ehBeth,
Our other house was built in the early 70s.

As I understand it, once a kid gets past the put everything in your mouth stage, lead ingestion is not a problem unless you do a lot of sanding. We are VERY careful about that -- sealing off the rooms when trim, etc., is being removed and then sending things out to have them done instead of trying to do it at home. We do very little paint removal at home.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:06 am
@boomerang,
I wondered why you were talking about lead testing now. Didn't really flow with the history of concerns which precede your current home/school by some years.
boomerang

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:12 am
@ehBeth,
I'm going to have Mo tested just to put my mind at rest. I know there is lead in our house.

But I didn't mean for him specifically. It just seems like something a teacher might suggest when the district falls into an old, lead-filled neighborhood.

I do believe that ADHD is real but the more I read the more militant I get that it is terribly over-diagnosed.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:26 am
@boomerang,
I agree, it's terribly over-diagnosed, and even if kids report symptoms of
ADHD there are always homeopathic products that help. Read this

http://www.healing-arts.org/children/ADHD/homeopathy.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2009 11:35 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
It just seems like something a teacher might suggest when the district falls into an old, lead-filled neighborhood.

I think any kind of diagnosis, whether it's ADHD or lead or anything else, is not appropriate coming from a teacher.

It certainly would be cause for concern here if a teacher made any such comment.
0 Replies