Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 07:44 am
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/nature/Unschooling-The-Case-for-Setting-Your-Kids-Into-the-Wild.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 08:53 am
@gungasnake,
That was an interesting article; thanks for the link!
gungasnake

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 09:51 am
@boomerang,
You might want to take a look at the two videos dealing with Common Core which I posted links to yesterday. Both are long but the situation is sort of critical and watching both of them would sort of make you the neighborhood expert on the topic.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:22 am
Thanks for the head's up. I'll take a look at those.
0 Replies

freelyndatrial

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 11:57 pm
@gungasnake,
This is a holistic idea t let children learn from within. I appreciate the view. No stereotype education can craft a human being.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 03:35 am
@freelyndatrial,
If I were raising kids at this point in time, I'd want them to get to be about 14 - 16 and have three or four skills they could earn money with including auto mechanics, carpentry, and one or two things like that, be able to type at least 80 wpm, be reasonable familiar with the microsoft office suite, understand how computers work more or less and understand Python and C/C++, be able to at least pass English grammar tests, have some understanding of American and world history, have some grasp of Spanish and one other language of their choice other than English, and have one sport which they could enjoy themselves at, be able to drive manual-transmission cars and at least change tires, spark plugs and oil...

If a kid could do all of that, he could probably put himself through college pretty easily.
0 Replies