Preparing for a Computer Changeover

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:31 pm
My computer (Apple eMac, ~5 years old, OS X 10.3.9) is getting older and clunkier and obsolete-r (I keep wanting to download things that require OS X 10.4 and up) and I'm about ready to get a new one.

I'm NOT, in this thread, asking what kind of computer I should get.

I'm interested in what I should do to prepare for ceasing to use this one and starting to use a fresh new one.

A new one isn't planned immediately so I have time, no rush.

For the last couple of months I've been taking notes on various usernames and passwords at various sites (not just A2K-type stuff but shopping, photos, etc.) I've cycled through that list at least twice per item by now so that's pretty set I think.

I'd like to save my bookmarks (I think this is possible, just haven't done it yet).

We make back-ups fairly regularly (more regularly would be good). We'd definitely make a back-up before starting to do any changeover stuff.

What else should I do?

Thanks.

View best answer, chosen by sozobe
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:44 pm
Are we to assume that you'll be upgrading to another Mac? If so, that makes it a bit easier than it would be if you were switching platforms too.

Here's two websites with good tips for migrating data and software from Mac to Mac. Once I know whether you're moving to a PC, I'll find some sites with good tips for that too.

http://www.procata.com/blog/archives/2007/02/16/how-to-transfer-mac-os-x-application-data-between-computers/

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1554

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:47 pm
@sozobe,

take screen shots of any custom settings you want to use on the new machine...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:50 pm
@sozobe,
Re bookmark exportation, most likely yes, but it depends what browser your bookmarks are in. Let me know and I'll dig up how to get them out (and now would be a good time to consider using online bookmarks so you don't have to do this again. I recommend delicious.com from yahoo for this).

As for transitioning to a new computer, it's pretty easy compared to upgrading the OS on your current one. If you forget anything you still have it around (or will you be getting rid of the old one at the same time?) to get stuff off of.

But here's my basic routine:

1) Backup all my files off the computer. This includes photos, music, documents, but also includes stuff like email or contacts databases from an email reader.

2) Make sure I have the installers for all the software on the computer that I want to keep using.

3) Make sure I have any data for those programs (settings I want to keep, saved program files) exported and moved out.

Then I get my new computer, set up the general configurations, security etc and move the files back and reinstall the programs.
sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 04:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks all!

Butrflynet, haven't gotten that far yet. Mac seems likely but not definite, would have to shop around.

That's a nice straightforward list, Robert, appreciated.

Good point about online bookmarks. May well transition to that. Right now I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.20. (An inability to upgrade to Firefox v. 3 is one annoying thing about the current OS.)

We will probably be keeping this computer at least for a while. May give it to the kid, I'm not sure. That'd be another question -- what to do to it to feel OK with giving it to her and letting her go crazy -- but for the purposes of THIS question, yeah it'd probably be around for at least a bit in terms of retrieving stray data.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 04:40 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Right now I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.20.

If you go the online bookmarks route, I think Delicious lets you import them. But you should also be able to export them from the bookmark manager in Firefox, and copy the file over to import on the new computer.

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > File > Export
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:00 am
This dinosaur has GOT to go.

My no-brainer decision is a 13-inch Macbook pro, with an education discount (a bit over $1,000.) Might get a 15-inch (more memory too, about $400 more).

Any quick reactions to that? What to get or not get?

I'm happy with Macs in general and have lots of Mac paraphernalia (airport, etc.) so would prefer to go with a Mac.

I usually work at my desk but would really like portability as well as more space on my desk -- my current eMac takes up much of the surface. Because of the afore-mentioned Airport I have a wireless connection and could take a laptop anywhere in the house (and on the porch, etc.) Pretty certain I want a laptop.

Not entirely sure about size (portability vs. visibility) and memory (price being the main variable there, more is better but we don't do any serious gaming or anything).

Oh and the "we" reminds me that I'd share with sozlet occasionally so I don't want anything too delicate.

Thanks!
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:15 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
My no-brainer decision is a 13-inch Macbook pro, with an education discount (a bit over $1,000.) Might get a 15-inch (more memory too, about $400 more).

13-inch is pretty small and is more of an ultra mobile laptop than a desktop laptop.

Quote:
Any quick reactions to that? What to get or not get?

I'm happy with Macs in general and have lots of Mac paraphernalia (airport, etc.) so would prefer to go with a Mac.

Well that does limit the options to one of only several laptops that Apple sells so it should make your choice easy, but do note that you can get a laptop for half the price or less if you go with a PC.

Quote:
Not entirely sure about size (portability vs. visibility) and memory (price being the main variable there, more is better but we don't do any serious gaming or anything).

I only use 13-inch laptops when portability is important, I think for regular use you'd probably really appreciate a bigger screen. As for memory, you should be good with pretty much anything Apple sells, and you may even want to consider a used Mac, as there hasn't been a lot of hardware improvement in computing for a while, and a computer ages better these days. You may be able to get more bang for your buck that way.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@sozobe,
Airports are compatible with PCs. I'm not trying to influence your decision, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks!

I know a PC would be cheaper, may still go that direction. Mostly looking for "no don't do that!!", negatives re: the Macs I have in mind that I might not be aware of.

I think you're right about 13" vs 15", the one I have now is 15". That does up the price by quite a bit (over-13" models have more memory too), the discount helps though.

I don't buy new computers often (this one is my second one ever!) so I'll probably go brand-new to drag out its usefulness for as long as possible. I have $500 to play with (a gift earmarked for a new computer) so could get something good for about $700 of my own money.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:13 am
@sozobe,
Soz, when I got a new hard drive several months ago (came to abut $275.) they also installed leopard for me, so I am now using OS X 10.5.8. That was another $75.00. So, consider that when and if you give the computer to Sozlet, you might be able to upgrade. Not sure you can do it from 10.3, even if you would want to - mine was at 10.4 something.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 10:40 am
@sozobe,
Should you buy a new MAC, the transfer is rather easy

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3322
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 12:32 pm
My only comment about laptops is to be sure to check out the reviews for the one you want to be sure it doesn't have any of the common overheating problems. Many laptops don't have proper venting and, when used on soft surfaces, overheat to the point that they freeze up.

http://laptop-overheating.com/

Here's a CNET article with some things you can do to help eliminate overheating. There isn't any captioning, but you'd still benefit from also watching the video so you can visually see what they are doing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3121_7-6679060-1.html

I would also get an extra battery so you can be charging one while the other is in use.

Here are some of the CNET reviews for all Apple laptops:

http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=apple+laptops&tag=srch
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:17 pm
@sozobe,
I suggest buying a cheap external hard drive case and pulling the hard drive from your old machine to use as an external USB drive. If you want to give the old machine away, this might not be an option, but it ensures you have all of your old data.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 02:21 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
I know a PC would be cheaper, may still go that direction. Mostly looking for "no don't do that!!", negatives re: the Macs I have in mind that I might not be aware of.

The only one that I thought of was that if you are going to go 13" you might as well get the Macbook instead of the Macbook pro. It will perform well enough, and although it isn't nearly as pretty (white plastic vs brushed aluminum) it is the cheaper, entry-level version of Mac laptops and the only real reason I'd avoid them is the limitation to the 13" screen.

I'd also make sure to get an Intel-based Mac, as there are some nifty things those are compatible with that previous hardware architectures aren't.

But honestly, for your uses any Mac available will perform well enough. So it's mainly form factor and price. But you can get a new PC laptop from between $300 to $700 that will be pretty solid too (don't get me wrong, I get why people use Macs and I think you'd enjoy the PC experience less, I'm just saying that cost is the biggest reason not to get a Mac and that from a cost perspective PC really is a better deal).

On the cheap end you can get a Mac Mini and connect it to a cheap screen and probably be set for around $800. But I happen to agree with you that you need a laptop (I think you'd get more use out of a computer that way) instead of a desktop.

Quote:
I think you're right about 13" vs 15", the one I have now is 15". That does up the price by quite a bit (over-13" models have more memory too), the discount helps though.

Yeah, I recommend the 15" size as a good mix between screen real estate and portability (13" for me becomes uncomfortable to work on, and 17" becomes uncomfortable to carry).

Quote:
I don't buy new computers often (this one is my second one ever!) so I'll probably go brand-new to drag out its usefulness for as long as possible. I have $500 to play with (a gift earmarked for a new computer) so could get something good for about $700 of my own money.

What I was trying to explain is that in the last few years computers have become much better able to stand the test of time. When I started able2know I wanted a new computer every year, because the processor speeds were still low enough that there was legitimate improvement to be had, and also because processor speeds were doubling so quickly.

These days the power of personal computers has outgrown any software we use, and the processors aren't getting faster at the same rate. So basically now I can get away with using the same computer for many years, and barely even pay attention to the CPU when I buy a computer. Any CPU from 2006 onwards is enough for all but the most demanding of uses.

So for $700 you can get a top of the line new PC laptop that I think will be fine for you for many years (e.g. I can realistically see you using it without major gripes in 5 years) or you can get a Mac at about double that price new or about that price used. And with that budget between those choices I would go used to be honest, a year-old Mac knocks a huge amount off the price and won't really last you significantly less than a new one and you may be able to get more computer for your money by going slightly used instead of new.
0 Replies