Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:54 am
Pictures can come later... but..

I painted Jillians room a soft blue color a while ago.
It was a custom color my painter friend made for me. There is very little left in the bottom of the can.. and with out forking out 40 or more dollars, I dont know of any place that will make more , or.. I should say.. that CAN make more based only on a small sample.. . My problem is that miss crayon butt got bored one day when her dad decided to (ahem) sleep.. while they were alone.. ( dont get me started on that.. )
And she took a black crayon to her wall.

Its one little drawing.... but now I cant get that off.
Red crayon is the devil. It never comes out.
Black crayon is proving to be the same issue. I cant wash it , scrub it, and I even tried a pencil eraser.
I paint over it.. you can still sort of see it. And I do not have enough to cover it several times .. Besides, if I did that you would see the paint touch ups. Not that her room has to be perfect, I just dont want a big ugly splotch in the center of the wall.

Suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,505 • Replies: 17
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:17 am
It isn't hard to match paint. They have color readers in paint stores that can match up color exactly; as long as you choose the same base you should be fine. A quart of paint will not cost much.

You'll probably need to put some primer over the area to seal in the wax from the crayon, otherwise it will keep resisting paint.

If you hadn't already painted over it I would have suggested using an iron padded with a bit of newspaper. The heat would melt the way and the paper would absorb it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:18 am
@shewolfnm,
before you painted it you should have got a degreaser of some kind, like dry cleaning fluid, it would have at least broken down the wax in the crayon

a little late for that now i guess

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:19 am
@boomerang,
heat and paper, good idea
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:26 am
I only painted a wee bit. Just a dab with some toilet paper.. enough to know that it will take several coats to cover it. I have not painted over the entire... 'work of art'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:27 am
@boomerang,
Would you believe me if I told ya I dont have an iron?

Baahhh.. .I need one anyway.
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:27 am
Mr Clean Magic Eraser.

It works wonders.

Sometimes it will take the paint off the wall but you can at least get the crayon off and cover the lighter spot again with new paint.

But it sounds like you already painted over it?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:30 am
Bella beat me to the Magic Eraser recommendation. That stuff is great.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:37 am
@shewolfnm,
The other alternative involves attitude adjustment.

To her, the wall probably looks better with her artistry on it.

Some people consider the Sistine Chapel better with Michalangelo's work on the ceiling than if it were done over using mauve!

All you gotta do, Wolf, is to gain a bit of art appreciation...and poof, the problem is solved.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:47 am
More a future reference thing -- washable art supplies.

Crayons, markers, etc., etc.

They work just as well as the non-washable kind and make the inevitable trips off the rez less stressful.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:01 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Would you believe me if I told ya I dont have an iron?

Baahhh.. .I need one anyway.

A hair dryer will do the same thing if you have one of those.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 04:09 pm
Hmmm...Frank's got a point. You could buy an empty frame from a thrift store and hang it to "frame" the masterpiece.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 05:57 pm
I have things in my home that ARE decorated with baby designs that look really cool.
Believe me.. im not a stickler for the crayon.. and if this were not a rental ( hint hint) I would not care so much, if at all. But since I rent, and have inspections.. certain things are just not allowed. Thats the rule.

She has colored her bed allllll different things because thats hers.. she can do that.
She colors her clothes, and parts of her book shelf.

Walls?
They dont belong to us.. there for you can not do that. Rule.

Magic eraser eh?
Im off to get one
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:13 pm
@shewolfnm,
goo gone or goof off.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 06:58 pm
I really don't understand why everyone here doesn't have Krud Kutter in their house by now. Smile

I've been answering these kinds of questions for years (paint, stain, food, crayon, grout, bath scum and on and on) amd the answer is always Krud Kutter.

It's in the paint thinner section of Home Depot but all natural, non harmful, no fumes. Delute with water for walls. Use full strength for really nasty tubs, wood work, even in place of bleach for your whites. Removes red clay, grass stains, blood etc. Never found a surface or stain it didn't work on and it doesn't5 harm the orginal finish.

It's the only item you need in your cleaning bucket for your cleaning business, too.

(I do not get paid by this company)
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:00 pm
@squinney,
I'd use my electric eraser...

or, a finely aimed sos pad/steel wool. Wipe, prime, paint.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:37 pm
Hey Shewolf,

Let's see what the Bean can come up with for Google's Doodling for Kids thing.

http://www.google.com/doodle4google/

Here's the idea:

Quote:
Welcome to Doodle 4 Google, a competition where we invite K-12 students to play around with our homepage logo and see what new designs they come up with. This year we're inviting U.S. kids to join in the doodling fun, around the intriguing theme "What I Wish for the World."

Registration closes at 11:59:59 PM Pacific time on March 17, 2009 and entries are due by 11:59:59 PM Pacific time on March 31, 2009. Teachers, you'll find everything you need to get started on the Registration page. Only teachers or school employees should register. Parents or students who are interested should contact their teacher to register them.

Here are some of the submissions from last year's Doodles 4 Google:

The regional finalist of Doodle 4 Google at the Googleplex for a fun-filled celebration and the announcement of the national finalists and winner.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:09 pm
There's a primer, I think that it's called Kilz that will cover pretty much anything.

Here's a discussion of it.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf36515051.tip.html
0 Replies