Now, that was some catch!

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:05 am
@sozobe,
Quote:
the previous longest play in a Super Bowl was Desmond Howard's 99-yard (I think) kickoff return in 1997...
yep -- XXXI in '97 vs the Pates...
Quote:
Howard also recorded a Super Bowl record 90 punt return yards, thus setting the Super Bowl records of total return yards (244) and combined net yards gained (244). Howard became the 4th Heisman Trophy winner to be named Super Bowl MVP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXI
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 06:11 am
@BigTexN,
What a wet blanket! 99.5% are saying it could be the best SB game ever. Must be mass hypnosis, huh? Drunk
BigTexN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 09:05 am
@Ragman,
We hear this "Best Ever" business after EVERY Super Bowl...mostly from the fans who's team won.

The Titans vs Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV was much more exciting with the Titans being stopped at the Rams 1 yard line as the clock ran to zero...

Rams win 23-16.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:00 am
@Region Philbis,
I've read the 99 yard number for Howard too, but don't remember where.
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:04 am
@ossobuco,
The kickoff return was 99 yards -- Region adds some other highlights too (like 90 yards in punt returns, etc.)

That was sooo fun...
sozobe

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:07 am
@BigTexN,
I disagree, stopping a TD to win isn't nearly as interesting or exciting as making a TD to win.

I thought last year's was really good too but The Catch of that game was just for yardage, while The Catch of this game was a Super-Bowl-winning TD, so I think this game might have the edge.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 10:13 am
@sozobe,
Tnx
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:21 am
@BigTexN,
Sorry, but you seem to be out of step with 99.5% of the public as well as sport talk shows. I've watched all SB since SB I. The last 2 yrs were some of the best I've seen...as far as drama and incredible plays. the interception plus runback of 100 yrd was incredible and will be unequalled (can't have more than 100 yrd) ...plus that touchdown where Holmes had to have the concentration and skill to keep his feet inbounds with 35 secs to go was amazing. Let's be objective here.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 11:57 am
@sozobe,
soz: Yes... what you said.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 12:45 pm
SO, we agree that Big Tex is full of cow doody.

I like the "action analysis" that soz made.
"Stopping a TD to win isnt near as exciting as making a TD to win"

I want that on a tee shirt

BigTexN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
Apparently sports fans everywhere agree with me...including this article from Sports Illustrated:

Quote:
Best Super Bowl ever? Get serious by Andrew Perloff

1. The press box at Sunday's Super Bowl was full of chatter about "best Super Bowl ever." C'mon, are you serious? Here are five reasons Super Bowl XLIII can't seriously be considered one of the top two or three best of all time:

a. The quality of the teams: This was the 2008 Steelers and the Cardinals. Not the Cowboys and the Steelers in the 1970s. As great as the game was, there's just not as much gravity with two teams that barely caught the nation's attention in the week leading up to the Super Bowl. The Steelers are a great team but hardly one for the ages. They're a team with a superior defense and a playmaking QB who caught a huge break when Tom Brady went down in Week 1. And the Cardinals were 9-7 and won the pathetic NFC West. They had a great postseason run but didn't exactly beat three powerhouses en route to the Super Bowl. Their wins were over a Falcons team with a rookie quarterback, a Panthers team that couldn't have topped a good high school team the way Jake Delhomme played, and an Eagles team that was only 9-6-1.

b. Penalties: How could the greatest game ever played have a safety that was caused by a holding call? Doesn't compute. And the roughing-the-holder was just embarrassing. More importantly, holding calls made a huge impact.

c. No true bombs: The Cardinals got all West Coast and stopped throwing it up downfield. Big Ben really aired it out only once, when he under threw a wide-open Nate Washington in the first quarter. There was a lot of after-the-catch yards from both teams, but nothing like Bradshaw-to-Swann.

2. The Steelers should have won by two touchdowns. They definitely took their foot off the gas and it almost cost them the game. The Cardinals weren't able to stop Pittsburgh's offense for most of the game, until the Steelers had an emotional lull in the third quarter when they probably thought they had the win wrapped up. Santonio Holmes said the Steelers knew they were going to score on the last drive because the Cardinals "hadn't been stopping us all game." That's probably true, but makes you wonder why they didn't score more points.

3. The Cardinals should have tried more long jump balls to Larry Fitzgerald. With all the hype before the game, maybe they were afraid the Steelers' defense had adjusted to that kind of play. Fitzgerald was down field in decent position, but Kurt Warner didn't take the shots. Fitzgerald had to be frustrated with the play-calling early. I'm surprised he didn't go Anquan Boldin on offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

4. Bottom line for Super Bowl quarterback is winning. I don't care how many yards Warner threw for. He will go down in history as having prolific Super Bowl stats, but the key one will be losing two out of three.

5. Bruce Springsteen's halftime show was was lame, and anyone who disagrees with that probably isn't a real fan. His lineup of Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Born To Run, Working on a Dream and Glory Days was all wrong. And changing the Glory Days lyric from "baseball" to "football" felt like something a band would do at a Bar Mitzvah. Here is the roster I would have had Bruce perform:

1. The Rising
2. Badlands
3. Born To Run
4. No Surrender

You can remove your rose colored glasses now...
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:23 pm
@BigTexN,
So how do you see with your '****-colored glasses'. Using this one quoted article from SI... and you want it stretched out to represent "sports fans everywhere agree with me"?

Why not just say that you didn't appreciate and agree with the impact of the game? And there might be some sporadic agreement in some isolated spots?
After all, if you read and listen closely (and are objective) you would see a huge majority disagreeing with your view.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:30 pm
@BigTexN,
BTN, You can't look at past teams who made up the NFL and say the current teams are less competitive. All sports are current to that extent; nothing is ever the same as in the past. There are many variables for this whether it's for the better or for the worse; they compete with each other at the current skill levels of the players.

All professional sports has some form of penalty for good reason; they are penalties against those who break the rules. That's all part and parcel of the game; break the rules, and you suffer the penalty.

Bradshaw and Swan weren't playing; as well as many great players of the past. What's your point?

You also wrote:
Quote:
Bottom line for Super Bowl quarterback is winning.

Really? I thought it was for losing.

Most everybody except Springsteen fans. So what? It's not the "game."
0 Replies

BigTexN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:31 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
After all, if you read and listen closely (and are objective) you would see a huge majority disagreeing with your view.

Ahh, I couldn't have said it back to you any better!

If you read and listen closely (and are objective) you would see a huge majority disagreeing with your view!
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:37 pm
@BigTexN,
What we have here is a basic disagreement. We can agree to disagree. However, taking all the responses here and count how many agree with your point of view? Take a look at sports shows, sports blogs and see what the consensus is there. Tell me you still think that a majority of others are in wide agreement there, too? So far, you have provided as your "proof" one SI article. Take a good looka round on ESPN and ESPN.com..and oh, any sports media outlet and see the consensus there.
BigTexN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:02 pm
@Ragman,
You're right Ragman...I didn't realize what a Steelers lovefest there was on A2K!

As I stated earlier, just like every other Super Bowl, EVERYONE thinks the last Super Bowl was "The Greatest Ever!"..especially the fans of the winning team. But then 2 years later, no one remembers the score.

I see nothing that will be memorable about this Super Bowl 2 years from now besides it being the 6th Super Bowl win for the Steelers franchise...a record.

All else will be **yawn** forgotten.
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:18 pm
@BigTexN,
Is it possible that you misinterpret interest on A2K in a great SB matchup for "lovefest" of the Steelers. From my perspective, you show bias and a dislike for the Steelers that clouds your objectivity.

Another objective measure of fan interest in SB action/drama over the last 3 yrs of SB games..is avg TV viewership (Nielsen ratings). It has peaked at over 95 -97 m for this game (with 140m watching at least part of the gamwe). this si the highest or 2nd highest in more than 20 yrs. When they had measured TV viewers in the past years when the matchups have been pretty dull, viewership had avg around 80 million or less.
BigTexN

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:21 pm
@Ragman,
Viewership for the Super Bowl gains every year...by your argument, that it dropped for this years game (The Best Ever remember?) should speak for itself.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:29 pm
@BigTexN,
100 yard interception return

Game-winning TD with 30 seconds to go

Yeah, that's a good superbowl.

Don't be a hater

Cyclotpichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:34 pm
@BigTexN,
BTN, You do understand what's happened to our economy don't you?