Awww wook at da wittle baby....

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:40 pm
http://www.reborn-baby.com/images/canopy046.jpg

Well it isn't a baby. It's a doll.

This is apparently a new trend in doll making called "reborn babies" or "fake babies".

They are being marketed to adults. I've been seeing them discussed on some adoption forums lately.

What do you think of these baby dolls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 9,729 • Replies: 11
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:42 pm
@boomerang,
One of these was the prize in a Christmas season raffle at work. There was a lot of cooing and fighting about who was going to hold it next.

It was really a marvellous piece of work, but I don't think I'd want it in my house.
boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:45 pm
@ehBeth,
They completely creep me out. I couldn't have one in my house either.
Green Witch

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:47 pm
There is a store in my area that specializes in these creations. I walked through it with a friend sometime around Xmas and it occurred to both of us that the sleeping ones looked like dead babies. It was creepy. I would rather have a Cabbage Patch doll.
mismi

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 06:53 pm
@Green Witch,
I think the little pooper up there has a hernia in his belly button. I like real babies. Thinking I am done though. Have no desire for a baby doll.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 10:10 pm
That is some kind of freaky. The only thing I might consider having that thing around for is to help older siblings prepare for a new baby.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2009 11:06 pm
@boomerang,
Um...what exactly is it supposed to DO? How does one work with them? I assume if adoption fora are discussing them they are seen to have a purpose?

I have nice newborn dolls in the room while doing a lot of attachment based co-therapy with kids and parents...(as well as a bunch of other stuff) (Penny is in a picture with one of them)

They are often used by kids and parents to play out what is being discussed....often with a parent showing the child the love they felt for the child as a baby. They seem to facilitate the process.

They are way less realistic, though.

I think I would find it kind of scary to have one in my house!

They are an amazement, though.
boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:54 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I assume if adoption fora are discussing them they are seen to have a purpose?

Apparently people who feel very desperate to have a baby are turning to them to fill a void. It's very sad, to me, that desperation, and this seems like a bad way for someone to handle it.

I've read that the dolls are very popular among women who have miscarried or had still births. But again, to me, this seems wrong-headed.

The most interesting thing I've read is that the dolls are being sucessfully used with demential patients. The dolls seems to have a calming influence. I can totally "get" that since caring for something is instinctive and rewarding for most of us.
sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:00 am
@boomerang,
Yeah, that's how I first read about them. Women who had miscarriages or stillbirths and then carried around the doll.

They're supposed to be a similar weight to a baby, too.

I get nervous about tut-tutting what these women should or should not do -- it's a devastating thing and if these dolls help, they help. But yeah, I've had similar misgivings.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 10:18 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

They completely creep me out. I couldn't have one in my house either.

Well, they don't completely creep me out, but my first thought was "that's creepy"

It's the same way I feel about dildos. They're not real.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:33 am
@boomerang,
exactly my thought - it is creepy and even more creepy that an adult would want it and want to hold it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:39 am
@Linkat,
This girl at my daughter's school had a creepy doll. She brought it up and showed it to me - it took all my power not to tell the girl the doll was creepy. It looked really real, but its hair was very thin - looked like it was going through cancer treatments.

I felt bad about my thoughts until a teacher whispered exactly what I was thinking.
0 Replies